selling dress on craigslist

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from cookiecrisp. Show cookiecrisp's posts

selling dress on craigslist

Good morning, I haven't posted here in almost two years but I was wondering if any of you sold your dress on craigslist.  I put my dress on craigslist and got several responses saying they want the dress and they need my name and address to send me the money.  After I receive the money they will arrange a pickup with Fedex or something.  Although I'm pleased at the response, I'm a little confused why someone would buy a dress they never saw and send me money first...what if I was a scammer. Not sure if I should give my name and address or if I'm being too paranoid.  Does anyone know if this is the norm?

Thanks in advance! 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from november2009. Show november2009's posts

Re: selling dress on craigslist

If you look in the "help, abuse, legal" section on Craig's List you will see this listed as an example of a scam.  Everytime I post something for sale I get this type of reply.  First the interested buyer wants yours name, non-Craigslist email, address and once they have this they ask for you bank account to wire you the money or say they are going to send the money via Western Union or some other service once they have proof you have shipped the dress.  I never respond to these emails and only deal with people who want to see items in person or ask for photos of the items and provide me with their name and at least a phone number. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from cookiecrisp. Show cookiecrisp's posts

Thanks!  I'll check out that section.  This is what the person wrote:
    Thank you for the email.I am paying by MO and payment will be mailed to you when am in receipt of your full name and address.I live in New Jersey and payment will get to you under 5 working days.Concerning the merchandise,i have a Fedex account that can handle the shipment.I will like you to let me know when you receive payment so that i can arrange for fedex to come for pick-up.
    I await to hear from you.

[QUOTE]If you look in the "help, abuse, legal" section on Craig's List you will see this listed as an example of a scam.  Everytime I post something for sale I get this type of reply.  First the interested buyer wants yours name, non-Craigslist email, address and once they have this they ask for you bank account to wire you the money or say they are going to send the money via Western Union or some other service once they have proof you have shipped the dress.  I never respond to these emails and only deal with people who want to see items in person or ask for photos of the items and provide me with their name and at least a phone number. 
    Posted by november2009[/QUOTE]

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

You're wise to listen to your gut! Welcome back cookie, and good luck selling the dress. ~kar

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mezzogal1124. Show mezzogal1124's posts

[QUOTE]Thanks!  I'll check out that section.  This is what the person wrote: Thank you for the email.I am paying by MO and payment will be mailed to you when am in receipt of your full name and address.I live in New Jersey and payment will get to you under 5 working days.Concerning the merchandise,i have a Fedex account that can handle the shipment.I will like you to let me know when you receive payment so that i can arrange for fedex to come for pick-up. I await to hear from you.
    Posted by cookiecrisp[/QUOTE]

The language and tone of this email struck me as very odd.  I'm suspicious that this "bride" doesn't want to know more details about the dress, and doesn't tell you how pretty it is/why she likes it.  Although I'm not engaged/married (started lurking on these boards when I was a bridesmaid a couple of years ago), I would definitely not refer to my potential wedding dress as "the merchandise!" Good for you for trusting your instinct!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I agree with mezzo.  If it's not a scam, I think it might be a wedding dress resale vendor with a poor grasp of verb tenses.  She would call it "the merchandise" whereas, like mezzo said, no bride would. 

Either way, scam or vendor, I'd steer clear myself.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmt09. Show kmt09's posts

Cookie, this sounds very odd to me.  You're right to listen to your gut.  Just the wording of the email alone doesn't sound right to me.

Have you thought about selling the dress on eBay instead?  I personally feel that Craigslist is a little shady, but I've purchased tons of items on eBay and have had great experiences with them.  I've never sold anything on there, but I know it's not difficult.  eBay seems a little more reputable, and I know that PayPal is a pretty secure way of exchanging money.  Just a thought!  Good luck!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]Cookie, this sounds very odd to me.  You're right to listen to your gut.  Just the wording of the email alone doesn't sound right to me. Have you thought about selling the dress on eBay instead?  I personally feel that Craigslist is a little shady, but I've purchased tons of items on eBay and have had great experiences with them.  I've never sold anything on there, but I know it's not difficult.  eBay seems a little more reputable, and I know that PayPal is a pretty secure way of exchanging money.  Just a thought!  Good luck!
    Posted by kmt09[/QUOTE]

Great idea!  I've had a similar experience with eBay.  I've bought and sold (about 10 transactions) on eBay, and all were great experiences.  Love PayPal, and you have recourse if you use PayPal, too, if anything goes wrong. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Besides, no bride would buy a dress w/o seeing it first.  I'd avoid that responder like the plague. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

Ditto the others....definitely a scammer!  Don't reply or anything!

If you get anything other than a normal-sounding email from a bride, just ignore it and delete it.

Don't forget there is also that consignment shop in Wenham (Over the Rainbow, i think) if you just want to get rid of it.  Or donate to the Brides for Breast Cancer for a tax deduction....

Good luck! 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from heatherv1211. Show heatherv1211's posts

Absolutely a scam.  They all have that exact language.  My FI sells books and things on ebay and craigslist all the time and constantly gets those exact messages talking about "the merchandise".  Yours has better grammar than they usually have, however!  (except for the "I await..." part).