Should I buy a second dress?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Should I buy a second dress?

I would love your opinion on this one... I am having a day wedding and will be going out on Main Street that evening with our friends.  I was planning on buying a second, short wedding dress to wear to the bars so as not to ruin my other dress.  Now I'm starting to second guess that decision. 

I keep going back and forth so any input would be helpful.  Also, if it makes a difference, my actual wedding dress was significantly under my budget so I have the extra money to use on a second dress.  And here's a link to my dress...

http://www.casablancabridal.com/collections/view/26/305

Thanks in advance!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Re: Should I buy a second dress?

I don't see how your dress would get ruined going out to bars.  Even if it did get dirty, so what? It's really a one time use kind of dress anyway. You could have it cleaned and preserved if you wanted to save it.

I don't see why you would need a second dress. If you came in under budget on your dress, that's great. Use the money for something fun on your honeymoon. Don't waste it on another 1 time use dress.  Now if you wanted to buy another going out dress, but not a wedding dress, then go for it. At least you'd get to wear it again. But if you want to go out in your wedding finery, just wear your wedding dress.  Good luck. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

clc - beautiful dress!  I personally think the idea of a second dress is fun!  at the same time, I loved my dress and didn't want to take it off.  But if I had another wedding dress - a short, flirty sort of one - I might have been happy to switch!

One thing I noticed - by the time the ceremony was over, I did not have the LEAST concern about my dress getting dirty or whatnot - I walked all over the place through dirt and wet grass and could not have cared less (although admittedly I wouldn't have been happy if, say, someone spilled a plate of spaghetti sauce down my front). 

I cant' speak for any other brides, but I would have gone out to a bar or club in my dress and not worried one bit.  If someone asked me that BEFORE my wedding, I might have had a different answer, but looking back, it would have been a non-issue.

Determine whether you think your dress would be comfortable enough to wear for a 5+ hour wedding, then all night as well.  That might help your decision.

Good luck!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

That's a beautiful dress.  If you were wearing a huge ballgown or something that might be difficult to walk and move around in public all night (navigating small doorways, running into people, getting into cabs, etc.), I would say to change.  But I think the dress you have should be fine.

Here's the key question:  Can you use the restroom in it?  If not, change.  Otherwise, it will be a very long day.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

I loved my dress so much I didn't want to take it off. I've never really understood the multiple-dress thing. Like ALF said, do something really cool on your honeymoon. To me, more than one dress seems silly.

Oh, and by the end of the reception, at least 50 people had stepped on my bustle. It also got a little dirty from taking photos outside. It's a one-time dress though, and I was having too much fun to care.

Have fun planning! When is your wedding?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Lucy - very good point!  I did not try out the whole restroom situation when I was at the store and I'm still waiting for the dress to come in.  But as soon as it gets here I will be testing it out.  I'm thinking it shouldn't be a problem, there is no "poof" to the dress so lifting it would be like lifting any other long dress.

By the way, thanks to all of you!  I love my dress and I think I want to be in it for the whole night, but I just can't seem to decide.  Your input definitely helps!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

It's May 15, 2010 on the Cape.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Beautiful! 

If your dress is bustled, it won't get any more dirty than any other dress, wedding or otherwise.  If you spill something it will be on whatever you're wearing, and the edge will get dirty long before your evening.

IMO, if you're going to do the fun thing of wearing your wedding dress out that night to celebrate, wear the real dress.  Otherwise, I don't see the point at all, just change into jeans.

Have fun!!

P.S.  Your dress will already be in need of professional cleaning whether you go out that night in it or not.  It's not like it will be "clean" if you don't wear it that night.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

I had a lace gown as well (july wedding) and because I was so hot i was ready to take it off before hitting the bar in our hotel.  I just changed in to a short dress that was black and white, and felt fine.  I was not really the type to run out to bars in my dress, but if you wouldn't mind it I'd say go for it.    
      I like the idea of a ceremony dress if you have a big ball gown, then change into a fun reception dress, but if you are just going to get one to go out, I'd say don't bother. Either wear your dress, or get something you'd wear again.  Just my two cents! 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

I can't see changing one fancy wedding dress for another.

But I do see merit in buying a second, very different dress- short flirty  cocktail or party dress,  or a country girl relaxed and long and cool.  Change of place and party, change of dress.         
         Unlike your wedding dress, this could be the first of many occasions you wear it, and always with a special memory  of that first, just married time.  
         My Mom wore a heavily embroidered and beaded heirloom wedding suit.  But after, she wore a classic party dress, like the Marilyn Monroe, famous white dress blowing up as she stood with a fan beneath her.  For years, now and then she would pull it out when going someplace special with Dad.  They must have had a heck of an after party, cause it still makes her all flirty and brings out a special smile in him.  :)    Can't do that with a formal gown, but a special dress - have fun.  Make a memory.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

re: going to the bathroom:  I had a dress similar to your dress and, honestly, to go to the bathroom I had to take the thing OFF -there is no way you can hold a train over your head that is bustled as you balance on the toilet!  So off it went, then back on it went....  pain, but not done very often (you hope). 

I rather love Whatawag's idea of getting a dress that is special and could be worn again, which would bring back those memories.  Although, Whatawag, a mere 2 years later I've gained weight and couldn't fit into anything I wore on my wedding day, more power to your mother to be able to get back into a dress she wore on her wedding day many years earlier! 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

Twice in my lifetime- that I remember-  she has gone on a diet.  Once about a year after the youngest of us kids.  20 pounds of baby weight.  Having 5 in 6 years.
          And 2 1/2 years ago, after being laid up with broken bones, in winter.   The same 20.

Otherwise, she does not stay still long enough for pounds to find her.  So says Dad!

In fact, she also chose a forgiving dress style!  But tall as she is, 15 pounds in over 30 years net gain - We should all be so lucky!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

Hi clc!

I had a day wedding too and we went out to bars in downtown Boston after the reception.  I kept my dress on all night and I had an awesome time!  The lining underneath got a little dirty, but I had to have it cleaned anyway and it certainly didn't get ruined.  And honestly, the attention you get from strangers is kinda fun!

Also, my dress was a similar shape and I had no issues going to the bathroom (especially once it was bustled).

HTH!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from wendy98. Show wendy98's posts

I say wear the dress you have it is gorgeous.

Ward of warning you may or maynot want to go to a bar afterwards.  I just went to a wedding on the 22nds and it was a morning wedding/brunch reception and by 4 when it was over the B&G had wanted to go to a bar (really Jillians) but they were so tired they just wanted to go to their room.  I have had other friends that were perfectly up for and able to hit the bar afterwards.  So if you don't feel up to continuing the party don't be too hard on yourself.  Enjoy the day.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

I would have a back-up dress (short) in case it's pouring rain or really hot.  I personally would not want to spend money on a 2nd dress I'd never wear again, but that's your choice.  By the time you're ready to go bar-hopping, you may be a little tired of all the bride-attention.  I kind of was. 

By the time my wedding was over, I was ready to get out of the undergarments and into jeans. 

Your dress is GORGEOUS!!!

Bring a friend to the ladies room.  It may be easier to just slip it off than try to hold it up, hold it off the floor, etc. etc.  That's what I did. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

beautiful dress!

I went out to a bar after my reception and I wore my dress. it had a small train, but I didn't have a bustle, I had a ribbon attached to it that I slipped around my wrist. The dress got dirty at the reception, not the bar. People stepped on my train by mistake when I was in the receiving line, but I didn't even notice, and you can't see it in the pictures.

if you think you'd be more comfortable in a short dress, then I say go ahead and get one, but I think you'll want to stay in your wedding dress for as long as possible. I know I did.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from clc51510. Show clc51510's posts

Thank you all!  This is really helpful!  I think I am going to skip buying a second dress and just wear my dress to the bars.  I have a feeling I will want to keep it on as long as possible.  I would hate the spend the money and then never wear the second dress.  And I know the extra money I had set aside for a second dress could really help us cover the other costs.

Also, thanks for all the compliments!  I can't wait until the dress comes in!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from twinklie12. Show twinklie12's posts

HI clc -

I can relate - my wedding is in August, and it's a long day - evening type of affair (2 PM ceremony, reception ends at 10 PM).  I'm having an after party at the hotel and I'm planning on getting a light dress to wear afterwards in case I am just really HOT from being in my long, tight dress all day.  But I plan on getting a light, cotton, re-wearable dress, it will just happen to be in white.  And I certainly don't plan on spending a lot of money on it!  So that's an option for you, even if just as a backup.  You don't have to use it if you don't want to, and it would be perfect for the honeymoon as well!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I think you should do whatever you want.  If it were me, and my wedding dress was too much for the bars, I'd buy a regular white sundress or cocktail dress, not an actual second wedding dress.

I actually did buy two dresses, because they were "inexpensive" at the Filene's Basement sale and I couldn't choose.  I figured I'd eventually decide and sell one on ebay, but I ended up using them both.  Well, on my wedding day, my sister had to practically force me to change out of the first dress w/the long train, etc. because I loved it so much :o)  You only get to wear it once, so enjoy it while you can!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Consider wearing comfy underwear if you're planning to wear tight shapewear for the wedding.  You'll be tired of being squished by then, and it will make any bathroom trips much easier.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonslp. Show bostonslp's posts

I would say keep the wedding dress on and go out in it.  It's probably the only other time you can wear it. 
    On my wedding day I LOVED my dress and never wanted to take it off!  I did go out in it after.  The bottoms is a bit dirty (but mostly from taking photos outside) and well, who cares?  I'm neer going to wear it again (although I wish I had a reason/place to!)
    Good luck - it's a really beautiful dress.  Take the $$ you saved on the wedding dress and buy a fabulous dress to wear on your honeymoon! (that maybe you can even wear again!)

Sections
Shortcuts