Slightly OT - BM Dress in NYC

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

Sounds like you'll have a blast! Good luck! :)

[Quote]Hi!

Thanks for the great suggestions! RK Bridal looks totally zoo-y but maybe a good place - the idea of signing up makes me nervous - has anyone done this before? I think Nordstrom would be great as well. It looks like we have more to do than time to do it in. So it goes.

To answer Pingo's question: I think a trip to NYC to visit my sister will be some good sister bonding time and also a chance to see some other friends who live in NYC. Also, I think it might be easier if the dress is close to her for alterations etc. The less she has to go back and forth between Boston and NY with it the better! Knowing her, she would probably cram it into her backpack!

Our wedding is not until October and most of our big decisions are made, so I don't have much to worry about and am happy to get out of town for a few days. Also, in my personal experience, questions that begin with, "Why should I have to. . . " are exactly the kinds of questions that lead to the title of Bridezilla.

Even further off topic - has anyone ever heard of the Wedding Library? www.weddinglibrary.com? It is in NYC and looks like the kind of place a girl could kill an afternoon - if she had the time![/Quote]

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Actually, if it doesn't have to come from a bridal shop, I'd hit all the department stores' evening dress sections, not just Macy's.

Have fun! No apology needed for posting a NY themed thread. I hope you get more specific advice from someone who knows more.

~kar

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

We're in a dive, pull up, ladies, pull up!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

you can't re-route a derailed train...

[Quote]We're in a dive, pull up, ladies, pull up!![/Quote]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hm!!! Lowren, where are you getting married? Seems to me, that if yu are getting married around here, you have a much better chance for your sister to come up here to look for a dress. For you to go to NY seems kind of backwards to me. Just saying and best of luck.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hello Missy,
    I do know, that they sell dresses in NY! No need for you to tell me that - or are you just trying to start a "fight" again? Knowing you, I would not be surprised at all.

My concern was for the bride. Why should she have to travel? Doesn't she has enough things to worry about? It would be a lot easier for her to have everything going on around here - that if the wedding was taking place around here.

You know Missy, there are times, when I think you are are not a real bride at all. This is one of them. You never gave us a date of your wedding, you are only posting, when you can complain of something. If I am wrong, I truly apologize. So please tell us, when are you indeed getting married? And where is it going to take place?

If you are not a bride, please don't pretend being one. I am not a bride and I never pretended I was one. Still as a MOG I feel, I can contribute to this wedding site.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Missy509. Show Missy509's posts

[Quote]Hm!!! Lowren, where are you getting married? Seems to me, that if yu are getting married around here, you have a much better chance for your sister to come up here to look for a dress. For you to go to NY seems kind of backwards to me. Just saying and best of luck.[/Quote]

How do you figure? Why would her sister need to come to MA? They sell dresses in NY

To the OP, for bm dresses, I would look at anntaylorloft.com and jcrew.com just marked down alot of their dresses. Since you only need one you wont have to worry about making sure all girls get them before they sell out. And, she could probably wear the dress again. Always a plus to me!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Missy can be abrasive, but she contributes, too. I'd hope she isn't pretending, but I don't think asking her will get anywhere - either she is and will deny it or she is a real bride. I know good hearted people who are abrasive, don't you? Many times her "negative" posts are worthwhile, and I oftentimes agree with her sentiment if not her style of communicating it.

Let's not fight ladies, OK, please?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Missy,
    I am sorry if I got derailed here. You are right - a sister/sister trip was probably all it was. I just felt that a bride has so many other things to worry about, that she should not have to travel to buy dresses for her BMs.

So maybe I missed the date, when you are getting married. Could you please tell us again. I will pen it down, so I won't make another accusation.

And no, you are wrong - I do not always want the last word. I am leaving that for you.

[Quote]

Point was Pingo, that I do not think the purpose of the trip is for the bride to go dress shopping in NY. She is going to visit her sister, and while there, shopping for the bm dress and popping into some bridal boutiques. That is how I understood it.

I do not start fights. You yourself are extremely opiniated and you harped right away on why she is going to NY to buy her bridal gown instead of answering the OPs question.

I have already said before when I am getting married. It is not my fault you do not pay attention.

And I do contribute. Just because you do not like it and you will post again to this because you ALWAYS have to have the last word, does not mean I cannot, will not, or should not post here. I am a bride and my contributions, thoughts, ideas, and opinions are as valid as any other persons.

Again, before you write your posts, maybe you should make sure they contribute something to what the OP is asking. Reread what you have written thus far. It doesnt. I suggested where she should shop.[/Quote]

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NiceGal. Show NiceGal's posts

RK can be overwhelming but they have a great selection - if you go on a weekend, go early or later in the afternoon - lunchtime is nuts there. I went on a weekday afternoon to try on dresses and it empty. They have a program where you order the dress for a little cheaper there and get alterations done on your own - did that one for one wedding and saved close to $75 when all was said and done. There's also a place called Here Comes the Bridesmaid in Chelsea (google for exact location) they had a great selection and weren't too pushy. The selection at Macy's in Herald Square is pretty good too.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from wendy98. Show wendy98's posts

[Quote]Hm!!! Lowren, where are you getting married? Seems to me, that if yu are getting married around here, you have a much better chance for your sister to come up here to look for a dress. For you to go to NY seems kind of backwards to me. Just saying and best of luck.[/Quote]

Um maybe she wants to visit her sister and this is a great excuse or way to combine both things? Perhaps there are other reasons she is making a trip to NYC other than to shop and see her sister which are not relevant to the post. So no it doens't seem all that backwards to me.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lowren25. Show lowren25's posts

Hi!

Thanks for the great suggestions! RK Bridal looks totally zoo-y but maybe a good place - the idea of signing up makes me nervous - has anyone done this before? I think Nordstrom would be great as well. It looks like we have more to do than time to do it in. So it goes.

To answer Pingo's question: I think a trip to NYC to visit my sister will be some good sister bonding time and also a chance to see some other friends who live in NYC. Also, I think it might be easier if the dress is close to her for alterations etc. The less she has to go back and forth between Boston and NY with it the better! Knowing her, she would probably cram it into her backpack!

Our wedding is not until October and most of our big decisions are made, so I don't have much to worry about and am happy to get out of town for a few days. Also, in my personal experience, questions that begin with, "Why should I have to. . . " are exactly the kinds of questions that lead to the title of Bridezilla.

Even further off topic - has anyone ever heard of the Wedding Library? www.weddinglibrary.com? It is in NYC and looks like the kind of place a girl could kill an afternoon - if she had the time!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

I agree with Kar, department stores are having good sales right now because they're hurting for business, you'll probably get a better deal than a boutique.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from preserves. Show preserves's posts

I live in NYC. My girls ultimately ordered our dresses from Nordstroms, but there are plenty of places in NYC you can check out.

Macy's in Herald Square-Huge and they have alot of dresses-make an apt. though.

Lord and Taylor (5th Ave btwn 38th & 39th) while they don't have a bridal dept. they have alot of really nice dresses in lots of colors.

RK Bridal (39th btwn 8th & 9th -I think) They are huge and have so many dresses that it is almost overwhelming.

These places are all kinda in the same area, and are walkable. Good Luck.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lowren25. Show lowren25's posts

Good morning -

I know this is a Boston board, but I could use a little NY help. I live in Boston, but my sister - the MOH - lives in Brooklyn. I am going to visit her next weekend and we are going to look for dresses. I scoped out the Bridal shops in Brooklyn throguh theknot.com, and have some possibilities there.

However, I was wondering if any of you have recommendations for where to shop either in Brooklyn or in Manhattan for a BM dress. She is the only one wearing the dress, so it doesn't have to come from a bridal store or anything like that. I heard that the Macy's in Manhattan carries the bridal line, so we might go there. . . thanks for the help!

L

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

Oooh, my MOH and I went shopping at a discount bridal shop in NYC...stay tuned I will let you know what it was called. They had a ton of stuff and if anything gave us ideas.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

I think RK might have been where I went

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Missy509. Show Missy509's posts

[Quote]Hello Missy,
    I do know, that they sell dresses in NY! No need for you to tell me that - or are you just trying to start a "fight" again? Knowing you, I would not be surprised at all.

My concern was for the bride. Why should she have to travel? Doesn't she has enough things to worry about? It would be a lot easier for her to have everything going on around here - that if the wedding was taking place around here.

You know Missy, there are times, when I think you are are not a real bride at all. This is one of them. You never gave us a date of your wedding, you are only posting, when you can complain of something. If I am wrong, I truly apologize. So please tell us, when are you indeed getting married? And where is it going to take place?

If you are not a bride, please don't pretend being one. I am not a bride and I never pretended I was one. Still as a MOG I feel, I can contribute to this wedding site.[/Quote]

Point was Pingo, that I do not think the purpose of the trip is for the bride to go dress shopping in NY. She is going to visit her sister, and while there, shopping for the bm dress and popping into some bridal boutiques. That is how I understood it.

I do not start fights. You yourself are extremely opiniated and you harped right away on why she is going to NY to buy her bridal gown instead of answering the OPs question.

I have already said before when I am getting married. It is not my fault you do not pay attention.

And I do contribute. Just because you do not like it and you will post again to this because you ALWAYS have to have the last word, does not mean I cannot, will not, or should not post here. I am a bride and my contributions, thoughts, ideas, and opinions are as valid as any other persons.

Again, before you write your posts, maybe you should make sure they contribute something to what the OP is asking. Reread what you have written thus far. It doesnt. I suggested where she should shop.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Missy509. Show Missy509's posts

[Quote]Hi!

Also, in my personal experience, questions that begin with, "Why should I have to. . . " are exactly the kinds of questions that lead to the title of Bridezilla.

[/Quote]

Sooo true!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hey, pingo, no I haven't noticed Missy's date or personal wedding contributions. By abrasive, I meant in the purest sense, not mean or nasty. Just stylistically abrasive. I can see where you or anyone could take offense, but I don't believe she means it to be that way, per se, 99% of the time. At least that's how it seems to me - what do I know for sure, though?!

I didn't mean to continue the tangent, but you asked so I figured it was OK, and BDC doesn't let us contact each other anymore... :)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

One thing to consider...this little think called sales tax. in NYC, sales tax is placed on the whole amount, whereas MA is 5% on the "difference" between $175. and the amount of the dress. (example: In ma, if you buy a dress for $200., subtract $175. and you get a "difference" of $25. there is a 5% sales tax only on the $25. difference.

I'm hearing that they have suspended the sales tax on "basic" clothing under $110. in manhattan. My inlaws are on long island, and they have sales tax on everything.

Macy's in Herald Square in Manhattan is so much better than any of the Macy's here in MA.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Thanks kar, it makes me feel good, that I am not the only one to have missed Missy's "wedding date". I just feel it is really "strange" that she is not all over the place being happy and sharing her plans with the wedding board - like the rest of the brides. I called her out on that once, and since then, she has a "problem" with me. Not that it really matters that much to me, but I do think it is odd.
    If she is not a bride - fine, she can still contribute. So why all this playing games? I just don't get it.

Quote Hey, pingo, no I haven't noticed Missy's date or personal wedding contributions. By abrasive, I meant in the purest sense, not mean or nasty. Just stylistically abrasive. I can see where you or anyone could take offense, but I don't believe she means it to be that way, per se, 99% of the time. At least that's how it seems to me - what do I know for sure, though?!

I didn't mean to continue the tangent, but you asked so I figured it was OK, and BDC doesn't let us contact each other anymore... :)[/Quote]

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

My post got deleted.

But on a $300 dress that would be $25. They'd have to decide if they wanted to cancel their NY weekend excursion to save probably (hopefully) well under that.

Not to shoot down the idea; just giving another angle.

P.S. My previous post got the message "content required." Odd.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Thanks Missy! I am very happy for you and wish you the very best and hopefully a long and very happy marriage.
    You are so absolutely right - personal info should never be posted on these boards. But an excited bride is not exactly personal information.
    I just wonder, why you could not have given me that info before, when asked. Several brides are getting married this May, so it is not exactly something homeland security will want to know about.
    Anyway, hope you will have a wonderful wedding and the best day in your life. I am done --- Pingo

Ps. Just to keep things straight - I was not the one startig this argument you were: How do you figure? Why would her sister need to come to MA? They sell dresses in NY

[Quote]Seriously Pingo, are you done yet???

As someone else pointed out, yes, I am getting married in May 2009. I do not normally post specific details about myself because you never know who is reading this and I do not normally give out my personal information to the general public. It really isnt the concern of any person, whether a poster or lurker or just some creepy person who reads these things, the date, time and place of where I will be at any point in my life. There are alot of creeps out there and alot of id theft going on. People should be careful what they write on the internet.

I will never post personal information on the internet. It is just something I will not do. And I am not saying the bdc regulars are creeps or id stealers, I am saying it is a big world out there and I am not posting my personal info for all to see.

So yes, my wedding is a sat night in May 2009. We are very excited about it. BM dresses are light blue, if that helps. Satisfied Pingo? Or do you want my home address and ss#??

For someone who says they did not want to hijack a thread, nor wants the last word, you have consistently ONLY post in this thread about me over and over and over....MOVE ALONG![/Quote]

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Hello ladies, thanks for puting things in perspective for me. You are probably right - the date was set and then cancelled. If that is so, I am sorry to have been pestering her about it.
    I truly don' t have anything personal against Missy - even though many of you may think so. However, her reply posts to me have always been on the negative side. Maybe she is just abrasive in nature - could be. I can deal with that. Best to you all - and thanks forsetting me straight.

[Quote]Pingo yeah Missy has mentioned the date somewhere along the line but I don't recall what it was since it wasn't that important to me (sorry Missy, I know you will have a great day!). I don't mention my date as it has come and gone already and there are other brides out there that probably have never mentioned their date. I don't think that getting married or being married is a "requirement", heck just for arguments sake Missy could be married right now and then that would make her no different than you me or many other posters here. However I do think you went a bit overboard on your first post in this particular thread and can understand why Missy chimed, in since I brought up a similar theme in my post earlier. I think you are a bit obsessed with Missy and because it appears that the two of you have opposite tastes you take everything she writes personally and are particularlly sensitive to her words just because they come attached with her name.[/Quote]

Sections
Shortcuts