So--I did it! Bought another dress

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from klm44. Show klm44's posts

So--I did it! Bought another dress

Ugh...finally, the feeling of loving the dress in every way happened today!  I had gone to Marry & tux to try on gowns, again!  This was not the same bridal shop I purchased Dress #1 from.  But, I was there for 3 hours today, tried on every style, designer, etc, etc.  And, it was the 1st dress I tried on.  I compared every other gown to it, even my original (which they had in stock!).  It was a style which had just been unpacked from shipment today, was my exact size, and only needs a hem taken up.  So, they sold me the sample.  I felt it was a sign.  Not only that, but I felt like the princess I envisioned on my wedding day, something dress #1 never did for me. 

So, now the drama of what to do with dress #1. I have only paid 50% of it, and it is at the shop.  Has anyone else been in this predicament, and, if so, what did you do?  I fear that if I call they will demand the other 50% and I will have to fork up even more money.  Not sure how to most appropriately handle this, as I am a fair and honest gal.  I just want to do the right thing! 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

Re: So--I did it! Bought another dress

Are you waiting for dress #1 to come in?  It's ordered, right?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from klm44. Show klm44's posts

Hi Goodness...  it is in, and I have paid 50% of it so far.  I am not sure what to do from here!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

I would suggest that you call them and tell them that you have found another dress.  Are you ready and prepared for them to say that they are keeping your 50% deposit?  I can't believe they would ask for the additional 50%, but with some of the bridal shop stories I've heard on these boards, you can never tell!! 

I got really lucky with my bridal shop.  I got my dress a year ago.  Then, had second thoughts a couple months ago.  I went back into the store, told them my situation, and they said they would take my dress back (they DON'T EXCHANGE OR REFUND) and let me get another dress of equal or lesser value.  I was so excited!!!  SO excited.  I did bring my dress back in, tried it on, and fell in love all over again.  Plus, I was by myself, so I wasn't swayed by "ooohhs and aaaahhs".  I took my original dress back that day, hung it back up where it belonged, and have felt totally satisfied.  I think it was nerves of having it SO long and realizing that there might have been other dresses out there for me.  It also helped by them telling me how beautiful my dress was, and how they could sell it "like that".  I couldn't stand anyone else having my dress.  My style isn't even made anymore. 

Back to your issue, I would call and talk to them about your options.  They might just keep your deposit.  Did your new dress cost a lot more?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Congrats!  I'm glad you feel better :o)
    As for the dress #1, I don't think they can force you to pay the balance.  Really they win in this situation because you already paid 1/2 and now they can sell it to someone else.
    Or you could pay the balance and try to sell it yourself, but it doesn't seem like people have too much luck with that.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from klm44. Show klm44's posts

Both dress were the same price point... about $750.  Fra--I didn't think they would require me to pay the remaining balance of 50%, but, I wasn't sure.  I am ok if I have to eat the balance I put down, I just hope they don't come back and want the other half! 

I just feel so much more at ease with the dress I got today, I am ok with losing the deposit! :)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

klm44, that's what's most important.  That you are happy with your new dress.  Hopefully, they won't make you pay the balance.  I really don't see them doing that.  If anything, they might just say that they are keeping your deposit. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Just think, when you add it all up, people spend way more than that on wedding dresses all the time!!  :o)
    I had to keep telling myself that because I got two dresses at Filene's Basement and had them both altered and pressed.  Still came to less than $1000!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Congrats on finding THE dress!

I believe they take a deposit to cover this scenario.  They will VERY likely keep the deposit, but since the markup on dresses is so high, they will just keep the dress in stock for someone else and not lose out.  I'd be stunned if they suggested your paying the other 1/2.  Don't suggest it yourself, whatever you do.  It's not your place, and if you offer it and they are unscrupulous they'll take it even if they weren't going to anyway.

Sorry you'll be losing the deposit, but I just see it as a cost of having the perfect gown for you, and that's worth it IMHO. :)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Scorpio75. Show Scorpio75's posts

Congrats, I am sorry you had to all the difficulty in finding the dress but it is fabulous that you now have the dress of your dreams.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

I highly doubt that they would make you pay the other 50%, but if they do, make sure they give you the dress.  At that point, you paid for it, and you own it.  But, you should fight them tooth and nail if they even suggest such a thing.

Hey, you could be like the chick on Bridezillas who had one dress for pre-wedding photos and another for the ceremony!  Cool

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Glad this whole thing worked out!
    With the first dress you could
    a) forfeit the deposit
    b) pay the balance and sell it (but you probably won't recoup all of the money)

Don't feel bad about this; it's why stores collect the 50% deposit. They'll make out on the deal--they got your deposit and now they can sell the dress for it's full price to someone else.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from klm44. Show klm44's posts

So do I just call them and tell them I will forfeit the deposit?  I feel so guilty doing it but I am sure it happens often at bridal shops.  Hence the reason for the 50% deposit, like you all have mentioned!  :)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from november2009. Show november2009's posts

Congratulations on finding your dream dress!!  No advice on dealing with the first dress, but good luck w/ the bridal shop.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I wouldn't bring up the deposit - let them tell you what is going to happen.  I'm sure they won't be refunding you the deposit, but I wouldn't be the one to offer to let them keep it just in case.  Let them tell you.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Yeah, just call and say that you've decided to go with a different dress, then let them talk. They're not losing any money/sleep over this; don't feel bad. This situation is more common than you think.

It'll be fine--enjoy your new dress!

Sections
Shortcuts