Tattoo Cover up?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pandamand5. Show pandamand5's posts

Tattoo Cover up?

Does anyone have a good cover up they can recommend, especially for a tattoo?

I am looking for something that can hide a little tattoo I have on my shoulder, which would then open up my dress options. =) I don't mind it, but I don't want my guests to have to see it.

Thanks!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Re: Tattoo Cover up?

Honestly, I would recommend using a wrap to cover it up.  In my experience, while you may not be able to see the tattoo through the cover-up, you can tell there's something there, and it actually ends up calling more attention to the area than a tattoo would.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Kat Von D makes a tatto concealor you can find online, but honestly it's very difficult to cover them, especially if they're black.
    Unless it's offensive or something you want removed, I wouldn't bother.
    Wrecking Balm works well if you want to get rid of it completely.

and you can always wear a bolero or shrug.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Is it possible to style your hair over it?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

a veil usually also covers up your back enough that you wouldn't be able to make out a tattoo clearly.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Prill. Show Prill's posts

I saw a bridesmaid once try and cover one up with Bandaids... now this is something I REALLY don't recommend!!!

Maybe try a wrap or styling your hair to cover it. Alternatively, try on some dress styles that cover it - you may just end up finding "the" dress.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

There really isn't any good stage makeup that covers it without leaving a strange blotch?  What do stars use to cover up tattoos for movie roles?

I saw an infomercial about this, but don't have ANY experience with it.  Not sure if it's worth the expense, but if the return policy is good maybe it's worth a try.

DermaBlend

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

kar- movie stars spend hours in the makeup chair having tattoos covered. the makeup artists has to apply color correction, then cover up, then powder, then seal it. And even then it has to be touched-up every few hours.
    it's possible, but it's a lot of hard work unless you're a pro. and it depends onw here the tattoo is. tattoos on a leg are easier to cover than a tattoo on a shoulder. shoulders can have frekcles and have some color to them in the summer. it's hard to blend it enough to make it truly unoticable.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

see this video for a demo on tattoo covering, and you can see how the area covered with makeup is lighter than the rest of her skin. on a side or lower back that might not look odd, but it would be noticable on a chest or shoulder. IMO having an odd blotch of discoloration will look worse than a tattoo, unless the tattoo is really obscene or unsightly, and in that case I'd advocate for removal via Wrecking Balm.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

In Response to Re: Tattoo Cover up?:
    There really isn't any good stage makeup that covers it without leaving a strange blotch?  What do stars use to cover up tattoos for movie roles? I saw an infomercial about this, but don't have ANY experience with it.  Not sure if it's worth the expense, but if the return policy is good maybe it's worth a try. DermaBlend
    Posted by kargiver

I've seen movies where a star's tattoo was visible through the makeup.  It's like "Wow!  I didn't know they had Flinstone tattoos in the 1600s!"

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ScooterSM. Show ScooterSM's posts

I have worked in theatre for 15 years, and we use Derma Blend ALL the time for covering tattoos, birthmarks, bruises, etc.  The trick if finding the color that matches your skin tone.  Can you see slight difference where the covered spot is? Yes, because it is impossible to hide something 100% against bare skin.  However, if you use transparent foundation (something really lightweight, like the new mineral/powder foundations works great) around the area it will help blend the covered area in to the skin around it.
     Hope this helps!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

in theatre the audience is always at least 10 feet from the actors and there are bright lights. Not the same scenario at a wedding reception.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ScooterSM. Show ScooterSM's posts

Usually, but unless the tattoo is somewhere really obvious (like chest or bicep) or really large/dark, most guests won't see it.  The dimmer light actually helps the cause.  Will it show (and probably need to be touched up) in photos? Yes, but unfortunately without (as you mentioned earlier) a significant amount of time and money, there is no way to cover a tattoo without being able to see the spot a little bit.
    However, I used Derma Blend to hide tattoos from my mom (when I was much younger and cared about her seeing them), and she didn't notice them.  Which is saying something because she is that snoopy kind of mom who notices everything!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

This came up recently on another thread-  summer strapless or bare season,  coming up soon !
          Something I was told about but never tried.  A model friend had a couple of recent bright red scars from glass in a car accident, healed but noticeable on her  arms.  To do photos for catalogs,  she bought

Tattoo  Camo  and Magic Shield Setting Spray

The Camo is this paste you apply that dries.  Setting Powder comes with it, to blend with your color pressed powder, lightly rubbed over paste that has dried.   

Magic Shield, separate- spray on sealer,  must buy a remover.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

that's the stuff shown in the video above

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

You know, pandamand, if you're as pale as I am, you could probably just use White-Out.  Undecided

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'd think that between the DermaBlend, loose powder foundation (like scooter suggested) over it and the skin around it, and a veil, like pink suggested, no one would notice a thing.

I think I'd use a makeup setting spray, too, so it doesn't rub off or smear.  I have Model in a Bottle I got from QVC, and I really like it.  It has a strong scent though, so it can interfere with perfume.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pandamand5. Show pandamand5's posts

These are all excellent ideas. I never would have thought of the veil covering it up. I may give the Dermablend a try, and have my Mr. do a few trial runs. I am verrry pale, so it might not work out. In which case, I'll just look for a dress that covers it. We are planning a June 2011 wedding. I don't have a dress yet, but I'm going to keep these ideas in mind while looking.

Thank you all!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pandamand5. Show pandamand5's posts

In Response to Re: Tattoo Cover up?:
    that's the stuff shown in the video above
    Posted by pinkkittie27

I just watched the video for the Tattoo Camo. It looks like a nice option too.
    I just hope their lightest option isn't too dark for me. Laughing Thanks!

Sections
Shortcuts