Trash the dress

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

Trash the dress

I am considering it.  I wanted more fun shots with just me and DH, but we ran out of time.  I think this would be so fun, and I don't know if it's worth trying to save my dress...it got pretty trashed at the wedding as it is (plus I need a good excuse to put it back on!).

Would love some feedback from those who have done it.  Thanks!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

Re: Trash the dress

Well are you really ever going to wear it again? No
    Do you think your future daughter will wear it? Probably not
    Do you want to sell it?

If all those answers are no...I would say go for it!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Didn't the Globe do a story on this recently? There might be something in the Lifestyle archives.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

There are definitely old posts about this.  I wouldn't do it - too sentimental.  No clue what I am going to do with my dresses though.  Christening gowns won't be necessary.  I will just have to hope I do have a daughter and she does want to wear one of them :o)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

Some photographers that I have heard do them:
    Melissa Robotti
    A Brilliant Photo
    Lexi Photography
    Merge Weddings

I haven't done it, but I do enjoy looking at those photographers blogs and admiring the shots. :)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I totally agree with Sept - there's no reason to clean and pack it away only to have it buried with you.  If you want some fun photos that damage the dress, have fun and enjoy!  I didn't only because it has a long train and is 100% silk.  Figured I might make some pillows for our bed...or not.  I probably saved it for nothing since I don't know how to sew at the moment.

You paid for it, and you can do anything that makes you happy with it!!! 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

I know, you didn' t exactly ask for my opinion, but I think this new thing is a terrible custom. True, you did pay for the dress and it is yours to do with whatever you want to do with it. Just because you got trashed at your own wedding, does not mean you have to trash your dress as well. I feel this is just a photo opportunity made up by photographers to earn yet an extra buck.
    In some European cultures we believe, that as long as you have the dress with you - your marriage will last.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from heatherv1211. Show heatherv1211's posts

I have been intrigued by this idea.  What I actually think is really cool is just the idea of getting pics taken in a wedding dress in totally unlikely places.  I love contrasts, so I love the idea of, say, a pic of woman in a gorgeous wedding dress taken down on the docks with the dirty fishermen.  Or standing by an old, abandoned rusty car out in a field.  Shots like that wouldn't necessarly "trash" the dress, they'd just be really cool.  So, I'm thinking of maybe doing something like that, since I still have my "engagement" shots to do with my photographer!  (we never had time for it before the wedding).  either that or wait until i (hopefully) get pregnant and cash in on the shoot then. :)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from heatherv1211. Show heatherv1211's posts

Pingo - I don't understand your comment.  Who said they got trashed at their own wedding?  I don't think anyone here did.  Why would you assume that?

In Response to Re: Trash the dress:
    [QUOTE]I know, you didn' t exactly ask for my opinion, but I think this new thing is a terrible custom. True, you did pay for the dress and it is yours to do with whatever you want to do with it. Just because you got trashed at your own wedding, does not mean you have to trash your dress as well. I feel this is just a photo opportunity made up by photographers to earn yet an extra buck. In some European cultures we believe, that as long as you have the dress with you - your marriage will last.
    Posted by pingo[/QUOTE]

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Heather, you are right - my mistake. And I apologize. Reading back, the dress got trashed - not the bride. Thanks for correcting me. - P

[QUOTE]Pingo - I don't understand your comment.  Who said they got trashed at their own wedding?  I don't think anyone here did.  Why would you assume that? In Response to Re: Trash the dress :
    Posted by heatherv1211[/QUOTE]

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

I think it's a fun idea!  I agree that you'll never wear it again, your daughter probably won't want to wear it, and selling it is rarely worth it.
    As far as paying a professional to take the shots- not necessary. You could easily get a student from NESOP to do the photos for little to nothing.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Welcome back, Pingo!  (If anyone missed the "What happened to Pingo" thread in Confidential, she's recovering from a life threatening infection!)

I think this tradition has naturally evolved from the fact that generations of women have cleaned, packed, and stored their dresses forever, never to even know where the box is in the attic again.  A friend could take the photos!  It's not like they have to be professional to be fun, although, it probably would come out better to have an enthusiastic professional or student (as pink suggested) do it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

[QUOTE]I have been intrigued by this idea.  What I actually think is really cool is just the idea of getting pics taken in a wedding dress in totally unlikely places.  I love contrasts, so I love the idea of, say, a pic of woman in a gorgeous wedding dress taken down on the docks with the dirty fishermen.  Or standing by an old, abandoned rusty car out in a field.  Shots like that wouldn't necessarly "trash" the dress, they'd just be really cool.  So, I'm thinking of maybe doing something like that, since I still have my "engagement" shots to do with my photographer!  (we never had time for it before the wedding).  either that or wait until i (hopefully) get pregnant and cash in on the shoot then. :)

Heather, I like that idea. A guy from my work met his wife on the green line, so they did a bunch of photos the day after the wedding in their wedding attire on the green line. Then they went to some hole-in-the wall bar that they used to go to all the time when they started dating and took pictures there. They are really cool, he has a couple on his desk.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

[QUOTE]I totally agree with Sept - there's no reason to clean and pack it away only to have it buried with you.  If you want some fun photos that damage the dress, have fun and enjoy!  I didn't only because it has a long train and is 100% silk.  Figured I might make some pillows for our bed...or not.  I probably saved it for nothing since I don't know how to sew at the moment. You paid for it, and you can do anything that makes you happy with it!!! 
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

Ohhh, you could make pillows! :) 100% silk for only $700, Kar...what a steal!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rhm327. Show rhm327's posts

Just as another thought out there for those that aren't sure what to do with their dresses after the wedding, I ended up donating my dress to Brides Against Breast Cancer. They resell the dresses to other brides around the country and the money goes to breast cancer research. I didn't want to trash mine, but didn't feel the need to preserve it and keep it in the basement indefinitely either.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

[QUOTE]I have been intrigued by this idea.  What I actually think is really cool is just the idea of getting pics taken in a wedding dress in totally unlikely places.  I love contrasts, so I love the idea of, say, a pic of woman in a gorgeous wedding dress taken down on the docks with the dirty fishermen.  Or standing by an old, abandoned rusty car out in a field.  Shots like that wouldn't necessarly "trash" the dress, they'd just be really cool.  So, I'm thinking of maybe doing something like that, since I still have my "engagement" shots to do with my photographer!  (we never had time for it before the wedding).  either that or wait until i (hopefully) get pregnant and cash in on the shoot then. :)

Heatherv - this is exactly what I was thinking!  We still have our engagement shots too that we never got around to doing.  I am still going to keep my dress and store it, i'm not planning on jumping in a fountain or anything like that, but I would love to have additional pics of me and DH in cool places around Boston.  Our formals after the ceremony took forever and we ran out of time, so I wasn't completely satisfied with the amount of pics of just me and DH. 

Sept - I love that idea.  There are definitely a few sentimental places around town that would be fun for us to take pics at.

Thanks all for the input!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

[QUOTE]Just as another thought out there for those that aren't sure what to do with their dresses after the wedding, I ended up donating my dress to Brides Against Breast Cancer. They resell the dresses to other brides around the country and the money goes to breast cancer research. I didn't want to trash mine, but didn't feel the need to preserve it and keep it in the basement indefinitely either.
    Posted by rhm327[/QUOTE]

This is a great idea.  The train of my dress is pretty damaged, so I don't think anyone else could wear it but this is definitely something to keep in mind.  Thanks for the suggestion!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reader001. Show Reader001's posts

http://www.karensnyderphoto.com/ does trash the dress as well.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I have to admit that the best part of the whole thing for me would be getting to wear my wedding dress all over Boston and getting all the oooh and ahhhs I got at the Wayside Inn before the ceremony.  I felt like a princess, and how often do you really get to feel that way with so many people treating you like a movie star and telling you how gorgeous you look?  Cool

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from heatherv1211. Show heatherv1211's posts

Pingo - thanks for your response.  I am glad to hear you are recovering from what sounds like a very scary experience!

dkb - keep us posted!  if you do this, I'd love to hear about it! BTW that's such a cute pic - your dog (i'm assuming) does NOT look happy to be wearing that adorable little bonnet!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Trash the dress : Ohhh, you could make pillows! :) 100% silk for only $700, Kar...what a steal!
    Posted by Sept2010Bride[/QUOTE]

Yup, that's the magic of VOWS!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

[QUOTE]Pingo - thanks for your response.  I am glad to hear you are recovering from what sounds like a very scary experience! dkb - keep us posted!  if you do this, I'd love to hear about it! BTW that's such a cute pic - your dog (i'm assuming) does NOT look happy to be wearing that adorable little bonnet!

Will do!

And don't let him fool ya - he loves to dress up!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

My 2 cents:  I think the trash the dress idea is crazy.  You spend so much money on the dress of your dreams and then you destroy it?  I could never do it!  It is so beautiful!

I *love* the idea of wearing the dress and taking cool pictures after the wedding, like on the T or sentimental places.  I definitely want to do that!  I have always wanted a beach wedding, but logistically it will probably be too hard, so I think we'll do photos on the beach after the wedding.

If you don't see a need to keep the dress, I'd either donate it or sell it.  My future sister-in-law got her dress on preownedweddingdresses.com.  She got the dress of her dreams for a fraction of the cost by buying it used.  So even if you don't care about the money, at least you can pass your dress on to a new bride and make her dreams come true!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

[QUOTE]I have to admit that the best part of the whole thing for me would be getting to wear my wedding dress all over Boston and getting all the oooh and ahhhs I got at the Wayside Inn before the ceremony.  I felt like a princess, and how often do you really get to feel that way with so many people treating you like a movie star and telling you how gorgeous you look? 
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

Of course, Kar! That is the best part! Every bride deserves one day to feel like a movie star!!

Sections
Shortcuts