Veil or no Veil

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from cdeneen. Show cdeneen's posts

Veil or no Veil

My dream dress has a gorgeous open back that I don't want to hide with a veil. I'm getting married in a catholic church...is it necessary to wear a veil?!?!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Re: Veil or no Veil

[QUOTE]My dream dress has a gorgeous open back that I don't want to hide with a veil. I'm getting married in a catholic church...is it necessary to wear a veil?!?!
    Posted by cdeneen[/QUOTE]

I can't really speak from the Catholic tradition  (thinking it is probably that you should wear a veil) but if you end up wanting to wear one there are many sheer ones out there. My veil is sheer and will still be able to see my dress through it, so that may be an option.   A shorter veil may show of the back of your dress better.  Remember you may only want to wear the veil for the church and then people can see the back of your dress better for the reception if you take it off.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

I am getting married in a Catholic church, so I am wearing a veil, but I don't know how srtict they are nowadays with the traditions. Think of it this way, if you do wear a veil, take it off right after the ceremony and people can see your dress for the whole entire reception.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

I am not a Catholic, so I am not up and up on the "rules". However, we did attend a  Catholic wedding, where the bride wore a beautiful large hat and not a veil. That could be an option for you.
    But if you do wear a veil, you can remove it as soon as the church ceremony is over and your dress will show during the rest of the day.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I think the Catholic Church has relaxed those rules a bit, or at least certain priests have, so ask your priest explicitly.  I'd mention the backless dress, too, since that (sorry) may be a problem in and of itself.  I know strapless is OUT, for instance. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from twinklie12. Show twinklie12's posts

[QUOTE]I think the Catholic Church has relaxed those rules a bit, or at least certain priests have, so ask your priest explicitly.  I'd mention the backless dress, too, since that (sorry) may be a problem in and of itself.  I know strapless is OUT, for instance. 
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

At my Catholic church strpless is actually allowed...seen it lots of times!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Strapless is fine in a Catholic church. I've seen it many times as well. My sis-in-law did wear a bolero at her wedding though because the priest marrying her was 87 years old and she felt as though she wanted to respect him, but he even said it was fine to wear strapless.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

you can always go with a birdcage veil, you'll get the best of both worlds.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

Or, you could wear the veil to the ceremony and take it off for the reception. 

I like the birdcage veil idea, too.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ilovebeagles. Show ilovebeagles's posts

[QUOTE]My dream dress has a gorgeous open back that I don't want to hide with a veil. I'm getting married in a catholic church...is it necessary to wear a veil?!?!
    Posted by cdeneen[/QUOTE]

As far as I know, the veil is not required, it is just traditional.
    Every Catholic mass wedding I have attended, the bride has worn a veil and a strapless gown.

Styles change, but I do think conservative Jewish weddings still require a bride to have her shoulders covered?

Anyways, I dont think any of the rules are hard and fast, as my friend's toddler was her flower girl in her marriage in a church to the baby's father, now husband.

Also, if the rules were strict, would most of us be wearing white?? Lol