Websites/Locations for finding a wedding dress

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Re: Websites/Locations for finding a wedding dress

In Response to Re: Websites/Locations for finding a wedding dress:
    [QUOTE]He does have kids and posts respectfully in Parents.  He could use more tact in Weddings, for sure, but arguing with him just eggs him on.  I don't like him, per se, but I've read the posts you're referring to from way back, and I don't think any were true violations of BDC policy.  If people find him obnoxious they are better served by hitting the ignore button that being argumentative.
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

Kar, the ones that were truly in violation were deleted. I'm not making this up.

Unprovoked attacks on other users are against policy. That's why the option "Attacking other user" is right there under the "Report" button.
    And all he does here is attack other users with no provocation.

What he does in "Parents" is no defense for the way he behaves here. Obnoxious is a gross understatement. What he does is outright hateful. It makes me sad to see posters like you making excuses for him.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I know you're not making it up.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Posters like Kinga and Luvbug who are new here and looking for advice are the ones who need defending. How do you think it makes them feel to see the regular posters defending this odious person who's attacking them for no reason, when all they wanted to do was ask a simple question?
    You're acting like the only problem here is semantics. It's not. He's been kicked off the boards by the mods before. That only happens if you've blatantly and intentionally violated policy.

saying "He could use more tact" after the behavior displayed here is like me saying "My dog could use more training" right after he just bit someone.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I've never posted a some-guy love fest, and I find him offensive, but not as much as others do, I guess.  And, I definitely don't see the point of arguing with him.  Ignore or report.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I just don't see why you or other posters are so quick to say "He makes sense sometimes" when he's being so completely nasty to someone else. They're only trying to defend themselves, what he says on other threads or to other people isn't going to matter to the poster he's attacking.
    If a person was yelling at me on the street for no reason, someone telling me "he volunteers with kids on the weekends" isn't going to make me feel any less upset about it. If anything, it would only upset me more.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hurling insults back and forth is not the answer.   

ETA: And, we said what we did about his kids after kinga said, "You really remind me of the creepy guy at the playground with no kids."  That needed defending, imo, no matter how mean some-guy can be.

I like you, and I'm afraid this isn't going anywhere good.  I'm not trying to get the last word, but I'm hoping this ends soon.  How about you get the last word and we'll call it a day.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

It was a freaking analogy!
    She wasn't literally asserting that he didn't have any kids or that he hung around playgrounds. It just meant that he hangs around here when he really has no reason to, other than to make people feel uncomfortable. Just like how some people without kids hang around playgrounds and make parents feel uncomfortable. that's just a creepy thing to do.

Only creeps like to intentianlly ruffle other people's feathers. Why you would think otherwise escapes me. And the fact that you say nothing about what he's said here, but you jump on Kinga for making a simple analogy is really confusing to me. Where was your defense when he said she wasn't even planning a wedding?

I like you too. You know I like you, and I respect you a great deal. I respect you more than anyone else on these boards.
    But your statement about him never violating policy, which isn't true, needed to be refuted.

I just hate seeing new posters chided for simply defending themselves. It's natural to jump to the defense. It's hard to ignore bullies. In fact, that's been a huge issue in the news lately. When someone makes a personal nasty attack, it's hard to just ignore it, especially when it makes you upset or takes you by surprise.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jalapino. Show Jalapino's posts

In Response to Websites/Locations for finding a wedding dress:
    [QUOTE]I am looking for advice on websites to check out dress styles and what are some dress shop recommendations you may have since I have no clue where to even start.  We live in the Braintree/Quincy area but am willing to travel anywhere (MA only of course).
    Posted by luvbug721[/QUOTE]

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jalapino. Show Jalapino's posts

Chantilly Place in Lowell on Merrimack Street has a wide variety of beautiful dresses.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Shortylicious. Show Shortylicious's posts

I bought my dress at Vows in Newton too 7 years ago. Got a great deal on a Vera Wang dress. My only hesitation in recommending Vows is their seamstress. She has her own business (it was across the street) but works primarily with Vows gowns. My gown was very simple- strapless aline ivory silk, no beading or lace. I'm petite so I needed her to remove material from the top lowering the neck line and take in the bust area. After alterations, the top of the gown was still too loose and had gapped across the chest. It wasn't horrendous, but the flaws were obvious. She booked my first and only fitting so close to my wedding (out of state) that I had no chance for a fix. So I went with it as it was but was never really satisified with how it looked.
    My advice- when scheduling your alterations, no matter where you buy your gown, make sure you schedule multiple fittings and leave time for last minute fixes! GL

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Shorty, so sorry you had a bad experience with Anahit - I'm stunned to hear that.  I had the opposite experience with her (you can see her work above especially with lace), and brides have historically given her an A+ in their vendor reviews here.  I wonder if she did the alterations herself or had an underling do them for your gown.  So disappointing to have less than stellar results from a vendor so highly rated.

It might be moot, anyway, though.  When I got married in '08, she was talking about retiring.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from spinningwheel. Show spinningwheel's posts

[QUOTE]I bought my dress at Vows in Newton too 7 years ago. Got a great deal on a Vera Wang dress. My only hesitation in recommending Vows is their seamstress. She has her own business (it was across the street) but works primarily with Vows gowns. My gown was very simple- strapless aline ivory silk, no beading or lace. I'm petite so I needed her to remove material from the top lowering the neck line and take in the bust area. After alterations, the top of the gown was still too loose and had gapped across the chest. It wasn't horrendous, but the flaws were obvious. She booked my first and only fitting so close to my wedding (out of state) that I had no chance for a fix. So I went with it as it was but was never really satisified with how it looked. My advice- when scheduling your alterations, no matter where you buy your gown, make sure you schedule multiple fittings and leave time for last minute fixes! GL
    Posted by Shortylicious[/QUOTE]
    Another strong vote for VOWS.  I went on a Saturday around 1:00 (I think it was December) and didn't have to wait at all, and got the kind of personal service I'd expect from more of a boutique-y kind of store.  I found my dress much more quickly than I expected to, and loved it (and the price). 

And another thumbs-down for their seamstress, Anahit.  I posted a review after my wedding last summer, which you should be able to search for if you want, but the quality, the service, and the value were all lacking, at best. 

, but she was rude (as was her staff), made mistakes (on the dress and in scheduling), and was expensive.  Ultimately, my dress looked great (if a tiny bit short), but my experience with Anahit was pretty much the only unpleasant experience in my wedding planning. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kinga9. Show kinga9's posts

Pink, thanks for picking up on the analogy, I was starting to wonder if I stated my point correctly since he didn't seem to recognize the similarity. Regardless, he proved my "creepy" point by blatantly telling me he would stalk my every post. Enough said.

Anywho, about the seamstress, now I'm a bit worried. I used her in the past (for a "never made to the alter" wedding dress) and what she did was amazing, but that was back in '06. My dress this time around is so much more simple, needs a helm and the bust taken in. Do I chance going to her? I'm wearing flats and if she shortens the dress too much, there's not a whole lot I can do.

Does anyone have other seamstresses they can recommend?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Not to dismiss Shorty, but that's the only negative review in 6 years I've ever heard about Anahit.  I'd go to her at any cost.  She can't actually be 100% perfect, but she's pretty darned close.

ETA:  Is she still in business, though?  She was talking about cutting way back in anticipation of retirement when I was there in '08.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kinga9. Show kinga9's posts

Her storefront is still there, and when I picked up my dress they recommended her. I'll take my chances I guess since I had such great luck with her last time.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]Her storefront is still there, and when I picked up my dress they recommended her. I'll take my chances I guess since I had such great luck with her last time.
    Posted by kinga9[/QUOTE]

I'm sure you'll be thrilled.  Truly, it's one in a million that doesn't call her a goddess.  Poor Shorty!  Not fair to be that one.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Shortylicious. Show Shortylicious's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Websites/Locations for finding a wedding dress : I'm sure you'll be thrilled.  Truly, it's one in a million that doesn't call her a goddess.  Poor Shorty!  Not fair to be that one.

Don't worry about me    :)
    I didn't really sweat it at the time. I was just excited to be getting married to my guy and pretty much everything else came together without issue. I'm sure I could have pushed it and gotten a rush job on the fixes, but it would have been more of a hassle than I wanted to tackle at the time.
    Now, 7 years later, I do look at some of the pictures framed around the house and wish the fit was better. But I'm thinking we'll take some new pix this spring once the flowers are in bloom and will replace some of the wedding ones. Problem solved.

Ps....there was one more person in this discussion who had a bad experience there. So I'm really 'two in a million'.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'm glad it didn't put a damper on your day!  I missed the other not so stellar review.  That's too bad.  She was a true miracle worker with my gown.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kinga9. Show kinga9's posts

[QUOTE]A special thanks to whoever is being a big kid and having all my posts removed.
    Posted by some-guy[/QUOTE]
    And here I thought that was you deleting your own posts because you realized how foolish you sounded exclaiming your "wealth" on the internet trying so desperately to prove a point with an utter stranger. Honestly, you might to thank that person...I was embarassed for you reading that.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kinga9. Show kinga9's posts

[QUOTE]You were, why?  You made the incorrect assumption about my position to try and insult me, so I clarified it.  Take it at face value or don't, I really don't care.  You should be more embarassed that you equate someone debating/arguing on a wedding message board with a creepy person hanging around kids playgrounds. One can be considered annoying, the other just plain dangerous. Back to you for the last word...
    Posted by some-guy[/QUOTE]
    Why you needed to clarify it I haven't the slightest idea. A "it's none of your business" comment would have sufficed nicely and would have been the adult thing to do, but instead you decided to spew out your W2 to the whole world as if they cared. (tell me that's not your opening line??? Maybe cut it down a notch and only say a garage full of cars instead of driveway. Sounds more humble. :-)

Let me teach you the third grade lesson of the analogy: a similarity between like features of two things, on which a comparison may be based. The similarity is the only thing I'm comparing here, which is the fact that you both don't belong. Stop obsessing about the creepy guy, no need to read more into it than need be.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from spinningwheel. Show spinningwheel's posts

[QUOTE]I'm glad it didn't put a damper on your day!  I missed the other not so stellar review.  That's too bad.  She was a true miracle worker with my gown.
    Yep, I'm #2 (though "not so stellar" is putting it mildly!).  :-)  I must say, being this many months removed from it, it's actually kind of funny to look back on my experience with her, it having been that much of a comedy of errors!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Websites/Locations for finding a wedding dress : Yep, I'm #2 (though "not so stellar" is putting it mildly!).  :-)  I must say, being this many months removed from it, it's actually kind of funny to look back on my experience with her, it having been that much of a comedy of errors!
    Posted by spinningwheel[/QUOTE]

That's too bad, sw!  I don't think I'd look back on a comedy of errors with my gown and actually laugh, but bless you for your outlook! :)

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts