Wedding Dress/Bridesmaid Dress/Hair

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from luvbug721. Show luvbug721's posts

Wedding Dress/Bridesmaid Dress/Hair

We are going to start our dress shopping and haven't got a clue where to start.  Do you go for wedding dress 1st and then the bridesmaids. Do they have to compliment each other in any way?  I want something that is reasonably priced that the girls can wear again if they wanted to.  and off the topic, I can't decide how to wear my hair whether up or down. Any advice on how to make that decision?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Re: Wedding Dress/Bridesmaid Dress/Hair

Start trying on dresses. You should pick your dress first. The BM dresses should compliment it in terms of level of formality and weight of fabric [ie, if your dress is a lightweight silk or lace, you probably don't want your BMs in heavy satin, or if you have a super formal dress you probably don't want your BMs in more casual, short dresses].  Figure out what you want to do w/ your hair after you get hte dress.  Once you have the dress, it will be easier to select veils, headpieces, etc and then your hairstyle based on all the accountrement. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

They need to be the same level of formality because you are, obviously, attending the same event, after all, at the same hour of the day.  If your wedding will be in the evening, and you have a cathedral length train your girls cannot be wearing sundresses; they should be in floor-length gowns.

So, you don't necessarily have to buy your gown first, but you DO have to decide how formal the wedding will be, and the bride's dress goes a long way in determining that so it would be helpful.

How you wear your hair is also influenced by how formal the whole event will be - that's your choice.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gonzo130. Show Gonzo130's posts

I think it makes sense to get your dress first to set the style.  I don't think they really have to compliment each other but if you have a simple dress, it may be odd to have really formal dresses and vice versa.  Plus, there may be some detail on your dress that you want the BM dresses to compliment.  And, it takes a lot longer for a wedding dress to come in and be fitted (upwards of 3 months and maybe even closer to 6, depending on what you order and from where) than BM dresses.

As for up or down, I went half up because I wanted my hair out of my face but don't like the way I look in an updo.  Again, I think it depends in part on your dress but mostly how you like the way you look.  Do you usually wear your hair up or down?  What are the options for your length/texture?  I'd look at sample pics and go from there.  You can sort this out in your trial too.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

In fact, everything is determined or at least heavily influenced by how formal you want the event to be, and that will also impact the total cost (generally speaking).  It should be consistent imo.  You wouldn't have a morning wedding, brunch reception and your girls in dark velvet floor length gowns, for instance.

Set your budget, the time of day and venue (thereby setting "formality"), then your dress to match that, and the girls' dresses to go with that.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Agree with others, focus on finding your dress first and then you can figure out the BM dresses.  A lot of salons carry both, so you can do some scouting at BM dresses while you look for a wedding dress, but it can be stressful to try to both at the same time.

One other piece of advice:  set your budget before you go and stick to it.  The worst thing is to fall in love with a dress that is more than you can afford.  Make sure you tell the consultant your max price and don't let them have you try on any above it.

For the BMs, it is also a nice gesture to ask them their price range for a BM dress before you go shopping as well (unless you are planning to buy them for them).  They will appreciate it and be happy to know you are considerate of the cost for them!  We set our max at $150 and I was actually able to get a great deal by buying our BM dresses online.  We found them in store first (price was $169, too much!) but then ordered them from a company called Netbride (website below) and they were only $109!  We were SO happy.

www.netbride.com

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

you won't be able to decide how to wear your hair until you have your dress picked out, then you'll be able to put together your "look".
    I really thought I wanted a fascinator with a birdcage veil, but once I got my dress I realized that it wasn't going to work (more like I tried on every one I could find and my mother and friends told me it just didn't look right).
    I ended up with a more traditional two-tier veil that I loved. You never know...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Another reason to get your dress first is that it usually takes 8-10 months for wedding dresses to come in (and then you'll have alterations) and BM dresses take only a couple months. You'll have more fittings than your BMs too.