Wedding Dress Coat

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bianca01. Show bianca01's posts

Wedding Dress Coat

Hi,
    I am looking for a wedding dress coat for my January 2011 wedding. I found one online, but unfortuantely I have no idea where to get this. If anyone could help me I would greatly appreciate it!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Re: Wedding Dress Coat

That coat is gorgeous.  Where did you find it online?  Any idea who makes it?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Bianca, that is a beautiful, beautiful coat! Sorry I can't help you, just wanted to tell you, you have a great taste.
    However, (and this is from the "snarky old woman") - do you really need a coat? Seems to me just jumping in and out of cars, it would be such a waste. When will you ever be able to wear it again? But of course, if this coat will make your day and make you happy, then go for it. Nothing else matters. It is gorgeous.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

I think that coat could be worn to other formal events in winter.  It wouldn't necessarily need to go over a wedding dress.

But another important question - what is the silhouette of your wedding dress?  Anything other than a sheath, or possibly trumpet style, could be problematic.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I would check out Burlington Coat Factory. I have an ankle length cashmere blend dress coat from there that I got a few years ago. It's a lifesaver when wearing a cocktail dress and pumps in January.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I know you didn't ask if you needed a coat, but for the record, I'm with pingo - it might be a waste of money unless you want to cover up your dress with it in the outside photos.  I'd show off my dress even if it meant freezing my buns off, personally.  After photos, you're either going to be in the toasty car that drops you off right at the doors, or inside, right?  Either way, you'll only be cold for a short time and that coat looks mighty expensive.

But, if you really want it, I hope you find it!!

P.S.  I got married in Nov, and my FMIL passed down a fur stole for me.  I left it home; too much of a bother to carry it around even though it was pretty darned cold.  And, I hope no one will skewer me/us for suggesting you might not need it.  Times are tough, weddings are expensive, and maybe the OP just hasn't considered that she might not actually use or want it.  That coat could easily cost over $500.  Not many people have the kind of budget where that much money is irrelevant.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bianca01. Show bianca01's posts

Thanks so much for the input! My wedding dress is a vera wang sheath and I'm worried about being cold. I'm also getting married in a Boston cathedral which gets pretty cold in the winter. My reception is also near the Public Gardens and was hoping to get some photos outside.
    I know that a coat is definitely NOT necessary...but I think something like this could be worn for other events.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

The coat is lovely.  However, unless you wear alot of white or attend alot of winter formal events, I don't how much use you will get out of the coat.  If you aren't anti-fur, there are places that will let you rent fur coats.  I'm sure you could find a gorgeous fur to rent for a fraction of the cost of that coat.  A 3/4 length fur would look GORGEOUS w/ a sheath dress.  Or maybe you could borrow a coat?  I personally try to borrow my mom's 3/4 length mink every chance I can. :-) 

If you have your heart set on a full length formal coat, check out Nordstroms or Saks.  Or maybe a Newbury boutique.  You might have trouble finding a coat now since most places are putting out spring items.  I've found some really nice formal outerwear coats and furs at Second Time Around on Newbury. There's also one in Harvard Square.  It's hit or miss, though.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

I was going to suggest looking at jcrew, because they had some gorgeous long wool coats that come in white, but they don't have them up on their website right now--wrong season.  You may have much better luck searching for this in October/November.  All the stores have their spring stuff out now! Of course, the jcrew coat wouldn't have sequin detailing that makes the one pictured look so *bridal*, but it could be an option.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from woodie. Show woodie's posts

I found you can buy it here:
    http://www.dhgate.com/winter-wedding-dresses-cloak-floor-length/p-ff80808124c9a1d20124cdc4f9ee0556.html

If you can't get to the link, use this path:

www.dhgate.com

The search on "wedding coat"

Hope this helps, it's a gorgeous coat. I would find reasons to wear it after the wedding.   Christmas parties, New Year Celebrations, Winter baptisms, Valentine's Day sleigh rides. 8)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

$150?  That's much more reasonable than I thought.  That's a normal price for a winter coat.  Excellent!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Wow, I can't believe you found it Woodie!  Although that site looks like it will be made in China and is copying the coat, so not sure the quality will be great.  But good price!

Also, does that coat have a train?  It looks like it in the picture!  If so, I can't imagine wearing it again without people thinking you are crazy. (no offense!)  But for $150, might be worth it just for the wedding.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

yeah, I'd only buy the coat if you honestly felt you could wear it again. Like I said, I find myself breaking out my full length coat far more often than I thought I would when I first got it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

But, pinkkittie, is it stark bright WHITE?  I got an offwhite parka this year, and I've never been so sorry about a clothing decision in my LIFE.  I just washed it yesterday.  I've been to the diner for breakfast and Wal-mart.  It's dirty, now, and it's not full length with a train - it comes to my thigh.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

no. it's black and I have to lint roll the heck out of it every time because of my cat, but it's worth having.
    I don't buy white clothing in general because I don't want to deal with it, but I see plenty of winter white coats on people in the city all the time.
    If it's for special occasions you wouldn't have to worry too much about keeping it clean. I wear my long coat maybe 10 times a year, if I'm lucky, but when I do I'm glad I have it.

If it were me, I'd buy a coat in one of my wedding colors just to be safe. But that's me and my personal avoidance of white clothing.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I would also advise not buying it online. You really want to try it on over the dress and make sure it's the look you want.
    Right now you can get a hell of a deal on coats because stores want to make room for spring inventory. I got a $350 wool coat last year in February for $75 at Macy's. Check out Macy's, Burlington Coat Factory and Nordstoms and see what they have for coats.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Bianca, $150?
    That make me think - is it warm or is it just a cover up? A normal lenght warm winter coat would be a lot more than $150. And then there is the train. Trex is right - the train really doesn't go to well with other functions.  But I am sure that could be altered.
    Also, I think it looks too "bridal" due to the fabric (matching the gown) and the "belt".
    But then again - if you really want it, $150 is not a lot of money in the scheme of a wedding. And I still think it is a lovely coat.
    I support Alf's idea to rent.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

For $150 go for it; even if you never wear it again who cares?  That's less than most veils.  I expected it would be over $500.  My black, wool dress coat was $400 (but I got it on a massive sale at Macy's, thankfully, for $200).

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Is the train really part of the coat, or is the train of the dress peeking out?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

You could always hem it after the wedding to get rid of the train.  My mom gave me this sweet black velvet riding coat from the 70s and it was ankle length and I had it hemmed to the knee.   I get a lot of wear out of it over dresses to holiday parties...it almost looks like a dress itself.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

That's a good idea, since the train would likely be destroyed after walking around in it all day, anyway.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

You could always get it altered after the wedding to be ankle or tea length, too. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Prill. Show Prill's posts

I like it - and think it's a cute idea.

And for all those saying "but isn't it a lot of money for something you'll never wear again...", um, yeah, but isn't that what a wedding dress generally is too? ??!!Wink

If you can afford it, then go for it!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

You could also have a local dressmaker make a standard, full length coat.  White woolen blend or all wool, a dressy gray and white boucle winter weight,  or a classic black, wine, or navy, or oatmeal and white mix, if you would get more use long term.

A standard Vogue, McCall or other pattern.  3.5 yards of 60" woolen or coating fabric, 3.5 yds 45" lining is what it takes.  Choose one that is of simple construction, goes from dressy to not, easy to shorten or sell. 
    $200 should do it, which is what a coat and shipping will run. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

But Waggie, I think the OP fell in love with this coat. And it is truly beautiful. But IMO too bridal looking to wear after the wedding. But if it can be altered, then ok. If the bride will feel like a million bucks wearing this coat, what are we to say. It is her choice. Get rid of the silly favors, and that will pay for the coat. Nothing wrong with that - just saying.