Wedding Dress Coat

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

Re: Wedding Dress Coat

I'm not opposed.  I think the coat is lovely.

But dhGate is one company I have seen wedding dress complaints about.  They take your measurements, which you measure,  so everything is "custom."  But if you have any problem with the quality of materials used, or the workmanship, they say,  sorry.  Our site says we take returns,  but not on any custom order.
      Since they call all orders for which you fill out a measuring form  custom, every order is custom and not refundable for any reason.

When people complain, they find dhGate is not a manufacturer or a seller.  They are a marketing middleman, like eBay. They run hundreds of sites for different sellers, and handle the translation, web design, etc. 

Their dispute process is long,  and rarely finds for the buyer, unless it is an eggregious problem.  If you order a red dress and you receive black pants, they will tell the actual company,  you have to accept back the return, and send a new product.  But they do not refund their part of the transaction (dhGate gets 1/3 to 1/2 for marketing)  and they do not enforce any dispute resolution.  They do not ban bad sellers.  It is all voluntary.

Sometimes there is an advantage to having a local seamstress or tailor measure, and make to a pattern.
        You approve the materials up front.  No one substitutes a thread which may dissolve in cleaning fluids for usual ones, so the garment falls apart 1st time cleaned.  No one uses dry goods that may have insect larvae which hatch in transit, so a coat arrives , gets hung in a closet, and 20 days later has holes from a moth colony.  These are some complaints I have seen on line about dhGates.  None of us know the validity.    Including me.  But for several years now, complaints everywhere the name DH Gates appears on websites and forums I read.

If anything is wrong, a local seamstress cannot hide, and she is not 8,000 miles away.   She  has to fix it and make it right, or you can do something about it.

This time of year is excellent for buying winter coating materials, or a  readymade  Burlington Coat factory or other  dressy coat from Saks or any retailer, at an excellent price.

Just something that is an option.  It may be a safer option.  Or this coat may be a terrific product from some obscure company that deserves to sell their product.  I don't know.

I just am not terribly trusting of places I have heard complaints about.  Europe was the focus of the DH Gate marketplace for a few years before the US, and complaints, complaints.  In the US there are complaint forum boards full of unhappy people.  These are pretty similar to  what I have read on Finland , UK and CA  forums on clothes,  tailoring from DH Gates Marketplace.

"Dhgate.com is a Chinese wholesale website. Dhgate is full of counterfeited products. Sellers may list what they want and list whatever quantity they want. Sellers can send you a totally different product and will eventually end up wining dhgate's crappy dispute centre."

"I have bought a Cell phone from this web site and it turns out to be a fake one . When i raised a dispute and asked for refund. they are not replying and refuse to refund my money."

"Dhgate is slow to respond to emails. Dhgate is slow to respond to disputes. Dhgate doesn't not seem to care about any of their customers. They will make no effort to contact you or try to resolve your issues unless you use legal threats.

Save yourself months of headaches and unanswered emails. Stay away from dhgate.com. You can search the internet and find many many unsatisfied customers."

http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/dhgatecom-c76260.html
    http://www.complaintsboard.com/bycompany/dhgatecom-a26231.html

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

British Company with good rep    Faux Fur long 150 British pounds is about $225 US Dollars, if memory serves (1.5 X #Brit pounds = US Dollar)
    Faux Grey Lynx (which my cousin in Copenhagen Wore for her wedding in Tynemouth, England)   is now  "On Offer"  Which means On sale, limited time only

http://www.fauxuk.com/modules/shop/view.asp?Prodcode=FF052 70 pounds, 105 dollars  grey lynx

http://www.fauxuk.com/modules/shop/view.asp?prodcode=W0066

http://www.fauxuk.com/modules/shop/offers.asp

Obviously, not going to get everyday use, but fun.
    http://www.spiegel.com/shop/product_ensemble.aspx?effort=SP&style_id=30688272&ifn=F0752066_2B07_029_SEC_MERGE&associated=1&index=7&gp_coll_id=5001&gp_cat_id=5002&nav_cat_id=8425&category_id=8426

Cashmere Blend Scarlet (camel, black) long coat on sale,  if Red over a white sheath would be festive,  and get wear from Thanksgiving to March

http://www.chadwicks.com/clothing/Single-Breasted-Long-Wool-Coat.aspx?PfId=74131&DeptId=-100&ProductTypeId=1&affiliate_id=015&affiliate_location_id=01

Winter white in lots of petite sizes, 1 or 2 reg sizes,   several other colors

Chadwicks  and Spiegal have been around for years, Spiegal the higher quality (and prices)

http://www.onestopplus.com/1/1/16362-water-repellent-coat-detachable-hood-plus-size-womens.html    

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

In Response to Re: Wedding Dress Coat:
    But Waggie, I think the OP fell in love with this coat. And it is truly beautiful. But IMO too bridal looking to wear after the wedding. But if it can be altered, then ok. If the bride will feel like a million bucks wearing this coat, what are we to say. It is her choice. Get rid of the silly favors, and that will pay for the coat. Nothing wrong with that - just saying.
    Posted by pingo

I would feel like a million bucks in that coat even if I weren't getting married.  It's beautiful. 

Of course, I would find a way to simultaneously spill coffee down the front, sit in chocolate, and fall in a mud puddle, so I might look like less than $1m.  Cool

I think Pril got it right - think about how much most brides spend on the dress, then ask if it's really that much more in the grand scheme of things.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

Yes,  the coat would be worth 150, even if not worn again, or sold at half price,  if it is in the bride's budget.

I worry more about the amazing dissappointment if nothing is delivered, or something so disappointing it is unwearable.  Then she is out 150 and still needs a coat.  In other words, worried about the seller not whether the pictured coat is gorgeous.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I agree with wag, and as I said before, you really, REALLY need to try on a coat before you buy it.
    Coats have to go over other clothing, so it's not only the way it fits your body, it's how it fits over your dress.
    You'd be much happier buying a long coat, in person, that's not exclusively bridal. it will last you for years.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Pinkie and Waggie are both right. The coat needs to be tried on. And I also agree with pinkie, that a coat, that is not bridal looking would be a better choice, if OP is planning to keep the coat.
    However, whenever I order clothes or shoes over the internet, and I am not exactly sure of the fit - I read the return policy very carefully and often order two or three different sizes of the same item. Many internet stores have free shipping as well as free returns. What does one have to loose?

Another thought. I looked at the picture again and it does look like the dress and the coat are made of the same material. Like a pair. Just wondering, if it would look as great, if one has a dress underneath it in a totally different material and not exactly matching color. What do you girls think?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

I think if the dress underneath does not exactly match, better with a contrast than a near miss.     Hi Pingo  :)  Wag

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yes, two off whites can clash as bad as two reds can.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

Is it just my contact through family with notions of European royalty,  and my own notions of / love for the Grace Kelley, Audrey Hepburn  elegant Hollywood glamour,  or do other people think (fake fur)  Grey  Lynx is a fun and gorgeous treat?
         I think my cousin has worn hers at least 5 or 6 times, including both New Year's eves and a few Opera or theatre benefits in Feb - March - Nov since it was her wedding coat in post Christmas December 2 years ago.

Mink and Ermine are just weasels, after all, but the Canadian Lynx is a Noble cat and one of the few big cats native to Northern New England.   Faux Lynx is a tribute!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bianca01. Show bianca01's posts

Thanks so much for the advice/info. I was also contemplating this coat, shown below. It makes a very different statement.
    I am getting married in a Cathedral in January
    and I am getting a little concerned that it is
    going to be quite cold in there.
    www.9lover.com/products/big/20071124224147.jpg" alt="Luxurious 030" width="254" height="387" />

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Gorgeous!  Your link doesn't work, by the way, but this will:

http://www.9lover.com/shop/wedding-dress-bridal-gown-1297.html

P.S.  Is that the one you're looking at?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

The link worked for me.

With a coat like that, who needs a wedding dress?  It's gorgeous.  It also, however, looks like it is made to match the dress (because of the pattern on the part peeking out). 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

it's a mock coat dress, that might mean it's meant to be worn alone and not over anything. just fyi.

waggie- you're not alone. fur is a guilty pleasure of mine and I secretly envy every time I see someone wearing a full length fur coat. I could never buy one because I can't support it ethically, but the feel and look is incomparable. I have a vintage mink collar a friend found at an estate sale. I just love touching it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bianca01. Show bianca01's posts

Hi,
    Yes that is the coat I was looking at. Sorry about the mishap with the link--I'm not really sure what happened. Let me know what you think!
    Best Wishes
    K

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

What I really think?  OK...

I think you should wear what makes you feel bridal, beautiful, and comfortable.

That being said, you'll have ONE chance to wear and be oooo'ed and ahhhh'ed at in a wedding gown.  I think you'll regret covering it up with a coat no matter how chilly it might be in the church or cold outside and how pretty the coat might be.  Given that, I'd strongly advise you to buy a separate dress and coat so you CAN take the coat off. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Have you thought about some sort of wrap that would keep you warm but still allow you to show off the dress?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Honestly, I like the first coat better. But I also think Lucy is into something. A wrap would be just great.
    I have one in black with a fox edging. Goes over everything and anything. I wear it often and love it. I think a white one, would be just as great.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

...  just fyi. waggie- you're not alone. fur is a guilty pleasure of mine and I secretly envy every time I see someone wearing a full length fur coat. I could never buy one because I can't support it ethically, but the feel and look is incomparable. I have a vintage mink collar a friend found at an estate sale. I just love touching it.
    Posted by pinkkittie27

My cousin's is faux fur, neither of us would wear real Canadian Lynx.  They are endangered,  and prized only for fur.   It is different when they are hunted or raised for meat and skins,  like sheerling (sheep)  which are in no short supply.

Family from Finland, near Russian border, tales I grew up on  include Czars in Russian Sable and Ermine cloaks etc.

Visiting St. Petersburg a couple of years ago with Mom, in a costume Museum for the Ballet,  things made of White Tiger skins, and Snow Leopards, can you imagine killing them for fur?   Unlike heavily populated India where Tigers kill people, up in Siberia, no excuse.

Closest I ever got or ever will is when an aunt (mom's younger sis) who is in opera in Scandinavia, husband a Danish conductor - she took me through a props and costumes storage and workshop for operas and theatre.    Nothing new, all older, well preserved.  But fur feels so good.

Mom's family  grew up wearing reindeer / Caribou hides.  Auntie Monika is right, it ain't the same.

But how I love it!

Bow hunting Caribou in My teens,  I did not see a huddle of 3 Arctic Hares, killed them by accident with 1 bolt (like arrow)
       Dad stood and instructed me to clean and preserve the meat, and treat the fur  and skin so it would be useable.  Not allowed to waste anything one kills.  Grandma had me make a small vest and hat and muff.  I could never wear it, but donating to a child who needed it fulfilled my obligation to what is killed.

So as you say, a guilty pleasure to admit to.   At least faux fur is cheap.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

Thanks so much for the advice/info. I was also contemplating this coat, shown below. It makes a very different statement. I am getting married in a Cathedral in January and I am getting a little concerned that it is going to be quite cold in there. www.9lover.com/products/big/20071124224147.jpg " alt="Luxurious 030" width="254" height="387" />
    Posted by bianca01

Bianca-  I think that is very pretty, and Paypal has a guarantee/ stop payment on any misconduct,  so you could feel good about really getting what you ordered.

The description says it is a mock coat dress,  not to be worn over a dress? 

But I do notice they sell the one you liked originally.  Only in this distributor's  details, they say that if you order a standard size, not filling in the custom measurements card,  and contact them to return it immediately after receipt,  they accept returns with only a re stocking fee.

That and the Paypal guarantee,  unlike dealing with DH Gates,  would make it a lot less risky.
    http://www.9lover.com/shop/wedding-dress-bridal-gown-5138.html    I really did love the looks of that first coat.  If you read carefully, so you tried it on the first day it arrived, and got return authorization if it did not fit,
    Sounds worth looking at again, to me.
    Chinese manufacturers follow the Asian  not European Manufacturer's  sizing code,  measurements are exact (no room for ease.  So you measure chest, waist, etc, then add 2-2.5 inches to each, to find the right size.  Otherwise it fits like a skin tight knit, no room under.
    Where you want to not wrinkle the gown under, you may want a full 3 inches added to body measurements, and pick size from chart that size.

(European, and American coats-  if they say, fits a 34 inch bust, the garment is 36.25 to 37 inches,  room enough to reach arms forward and not tear seams.
    So you would be choosing a Chinese size to give that same fit.  Confusing, at first.)
        Either way, I think a coat is a great idea.  Very special.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

wag- I thought of you last night because the woman sitting next to me at the bar had a big fur coat draped over the back of her chair. It looked like a sable.
    The desire to run my fingers through it was almost too much to bear.

I agree that if the animal's been killed for meat and you're using the hide not to be wasteful, it's ethically sound. A caribou coat would be beyond warm!