Wedding gown preservation Do not go to Wal-Lex or White's Cleaners

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from snowbuns00. Show snowbuns00's posts

Wedding gown preservation Do not go to Wal-Lex or White's Cleaners

Let me start by saying that my Mother dropped my dress off at the wrong cleaners while I was on my honeymoon.  I tried to correct it but I was told it was already at "The Plant."  When I got back from my honeymoon I asked to have something I forgot was on the dress removed before cleaning and requested it sooner.  I was told it was not possible because it was at "The Plant." 

I thought the Wal-Lex Cleaners had my wedding gown for two months but it was found sitting in the store front of ANOTHER cleaners.  My friends saw it and called to tell me it was in the window of White's on Moody Street.  I had been told it would take 3-4 months to preserve.

I went to Whites, where my dress was being displayed, it had not even been touched and with a new stain.  He said usually the bride calls and he has it cleaned it within the week.  I told him I had requested it over a month ago and was told it wouldn't be available until late July.  He offered to have it ready within the week but I said I would rather leave with the dress.  He refused and told me he could only deliver it back to Wal-Lex.  I called the Wal-Lex from White's and they still would not give me my dress. I was told to call later to speak to the owner of the Wal-Lex at 9:30 when she would be in the store.

If he could do it within a week had it been sitting there for two months??  I ended up grabbing my dress and walking out with it. 

When I got home with it 5 minutes later the Wal-Lex owner was all of the sudden available and calling me to bring my dress back.  She started giving me a whole spiel on how they know the material and how they do a great job.  I told her that I did not like how my dress was handled AT ALL and will not be taking it to them. 

I will NEVER go back to Wal-Lex or White's on Moody Street!!

Any recommendations for cleaning and preservation?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Re: Wedding gown preservation Do not go to Wal-Lex or White's Cleaners

snowbuns,
    What a nightmare that must have been! I would sue both cleaners - or at least report them to BBB. Are these different stores, but owned by the same people? Regardless, to display a dress in the window getting dusty and spotted is way beyond good business practice. Good for you to you just take it and walk away with it. And bless your friends for being so assertive.
    I have no suggestion for you in regard to cleaning your dress. But I am sure the newly wed brides here on the wedding thread can help you out. My cleaner, "The Dry Cleaner" is in Reading - and they have done a marvelous job for me on other things. Even though it is a bit too far from Moody Street, it may be worth the trip.
    Best of luck - Pingo

ps. I may actually have seen your dress in the window - maybe 3 - 4 weeks ago. I was at the Patel Brothers. Don't know which dry cleaner it was, but the dress caught my eyes. Very pretty. But both my friend and I thought it was quite odd to stick it in the window.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Wow, that is AWFUL.  I can't believe the displayed your dress for weeks without your permission.  Are they allowed to do that?  Isn't the sun bad for fading the fabric?  How terrible!!!!

Good luck to you and thanks for the warning.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

I'm sorry to hear about your experiences with Wal-Lex & White's Cleaners.  However, I am happy you posted as a warning to other brides who may want their dresses preserved. 

Yes, Trex.  Direct sunlight is not good for fabric, especially a "sensitive" type fabric used to make a wedding dress.

Prime Cleaners on Eastern Ave in Dedham is good for preserving wedding dresses..  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1stTimeMom90709. Show 1stTimeMom90709's posts

Thanks for the tip.  Just curious, if people don't mind saying, about how much does it cost to preserve the dress?  I was married almost 2 yrs ago and still haven't done it.  A cleaner I had checked out awhile ago told me $150 and up.  Just wondering if that is around what people have paid?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I checked with 5 different places and ended up paying $100 to have the dress pressed for the wedding, so $150 or more for cleaning and preserving definitely sounds right.  I'd lean towards more than $150.