Where did you get your dress?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from redflatshoe. Show redflatshoe's posts

Where did you get your dress?

I am terrible at this wedding planning thing.  I am getting married next April and I have not gotten my dress yet.  My current dress size is 10-12 petite, so I will probably need to shop for 12-16 bridal dress. 

Any recommendations?  This dress shopping is not for me, but for my sister and mother.  They are very emotional about this wedding.  I would gladly just shop online and hire a local tailor.

Background: This would be the first wedding American wedding for my family and my fiance is first generation.  It is crazy emotional for both sides of the family.

My budget is 800-1100 for the dress and 400 for tailoring.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonslp. Show bostonslp's posts

Re: Where did you get your dress?

I bought my dress at a different place that I didn't really love, but they had the dress that I loved.....but I am not going to recommend them.

Instead, I thought I should mention Bride n Bell in Medford.  I recently went with a friend and the staff was super helpful and friendly.  They also took as much time as was needed to help us.  They seemed to have a number of reasonably priced dresses.  Wish I had gone there. 
    HTH

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

VOWS Bridal Consignment in Newton (where I got my gown for $700) has their entire inventory online, and most of their gowns are in that price range.  Many of their gowns are samples so are not your size, but the DO carry some in a variety of sizes so check them out!  You could get a great deal on an otherwise expensive designer gown.

www.bridepower.com (On the right, in VERY small print, they have a link for size 12+ dresses, and there are 141 that come up.  I'm fairly certain that all dresses can be altered to have petite proportions.)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rirlo01. Show Rirlo01's posts

I'm pretty emotional/excited, too, but after visiting at least six shops and trying on dozens of dresses, I eventually found one meant for me through www.preownedweddingdresses.com.  It's no less special than one I'd have bought in a bridal boutique!  In fact, it's better (for me), because I love it so much more than the others I tried.  

Oh, and please don't consider yourself bad at the wedding thing, just because you don't yet have your dress.  Our wedding is in less than a month, and I bought my dress late in July.  :)  

Good luck!  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Christinymarini. Show Christinymarini's posts

I bought my dress at Caradonna Bridal in Northborough, MA (right next to Marlborough).  The woman who owns the shop was so friendly and made it such an easy process.  It was a very low key process which is exactly what I was looking for.

Btw, I just bought my dress for a May wedding, so you aren't behind at all!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

I bought my dress at Camilla's in Arlington.  But I shopped around a LOT and I think the place I'd recommend for you is Marry & Tux in Nashua NH.  They were super nice and had a large selection.  I really enjoyed shopping there. 

Camilla's is nice too, but there selection is more limited.  I got lucky and ended up finding my perfect dress there on my second trip.

Another really good place is Precious Memories in Malden.  They also have a large selection and were very nice.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Advertising by vendors is not allowed in this forum. 

(A reported online vendor's post has been deleted.)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Winter2011Bride. Show Winter2011Bride's posts

I got my dress at David's bridal, but will be having it altered elsewhere.  The saleswoman was great. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Winter, from what I've read here, getting it altered somewhere else is a great idea.  There have been many disappointed brides who have given bad grades in their wedding reviews about David's alterations.  Dresses, on the other hand, have gotten rave reviews.  You'd think they'd do something about their alterations department...??

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from developergirl. Show developergirl's posts

I got married 5 years ago and wasn't "into" dress shopping either.  I spent a LOT of time online looking at different dresses and learning the dress lingo.  From looking at 1000s of dresses online, I was able to decide what shape, what waistline, strapless etc. so when I went to the dress store I was able to tell them exactly the type of dress I wanted.
    A friend had a good experience at Wishing Well Bridal in Rumford, RI (just over the border from Attleboro), so I went there.  I told the saleswoman what I was looking for, she pulled 6 dresses while I relaxed with my Mom and friends.  I tried on all 6, but I actually chose the very first one I tried on.  It cost me $300 and an extra $150 for alterations - the seamstress they had on staff was WONDERFUL but I'm not sure she is still there - so the entire thing cost less than $500.
    Just remember to take a deep breath, figure out before you go what YOU want and then let the salesperson know.  Good luck!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Herebychoice. Show Herebychoice's posts

I got my dress from David's Bridal, too, and plan to have it altered somewhere else.  I heard that while the dresses are inexpensive, the alterations is where they make money.  A friend of mine had her DB dress altered there and the bustle broke halfway through the reception.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from silvercity. Show silvercity's posts

I tried on dresses as Jessica McClintock on Newbury Street, figured out my size and the dress I wanted and then bought it online from a store in Louisiana (can't remember the name but it's mentioned on theknot.com all the time, possibly Pearls Place).  I saved nearly 50%  My dress cost so little is actually became a bragging point for my mom.  Actually many of the online vendors carry all the major brands which is why local shops may take the tags out of the dresses they carry in the store to avoid losing business.

Shopping online is great if you know exactly what you want.  It was especially good for me since I wanted to keep costs down and didn't have anyone to shop with anyway.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rapunzel41. Show Rapunzel41's posts

I too bought my dress at David's.  I didn't need any "alterations" - just a three point bustle put in - so I just let them do it.  I didn't have time to run around and find someone else.  We'll see if it holds up!

David's has a huge selection and an excellent online catalog.  It's a great place to go to try on dresses and narrow down what you want.  Then you can focus on a particular style if you decide to shop elsewhere.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

I got my dress at Marry & Tux in Nashua, NH, and I love it there. Their dresses range from around $700-$1500, their selection is huge, and they're just very friendly and accommodating. My budget was on the lower end of their selection, and I got a wonderfully constructed dress with lots of beading and rouching, which is a word that I will never know how to spell. Nashua's about 45 min from Boston. 

A place I *wouldn't* recommend is the Nashua David's, but I've heard that other David's are better. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from deniece881. Show deniece881's posts

I got my dress at 125 Bridal in Plaistow, NH.  The consultant I worked with was wonderful, they had a lot of samples that were in the 12-14 size range, and everytime I went in was very pleasant.  Their communication was a little lacking, I had to keep calling to see if things were in yet, because they didn't call me.  But all in all they were great.  Their seamstress did my alterations, a bustle and lengthening my corset laces, and it wasn't too expensive.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I got my dress from David's Bridal in Natick and had it altered elsewhere.

I would honestly say that if the only reason you're going to go to stores to try on dresses is to please other people, don't do it. You might end up buying a dress they like and you realize later you don't like it.
    I went into David's by myself just to look and bought the first dress I tried on. It fit and it was $99, so I figured I had nothing to lose. My mom and best friend were a little disappointed that they didn't get to have the dress shopping experience, but they both came with me to pick up the dress from the alterations place. They ended up just being happy I found a dress I really liked for a great price, that's so much more important than "the dress shopping experience"
    For me, trying on a bunch of dresses after I already found one that fit and I liked would have made it impossible for me to choose. If you feel it might be same way for you, I urge you to shop for your dress the way you want, and not anyone else.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

But if it doesn't matter to her either way and it's super important to her family, why not give them the pleasure?  If she really is against the whole experience, that's another story, but denying them the dress shopping enjoyment with her because she's just not as excited about it as they are would be sad.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from nibsfeld. Show nibsfeld's posts

I wasn't too excited about dress shopping because I (stupidly!) started with the Running of the Brides and didn't know what I wanted beyond ivory and "not strapless."  I know some people love the Running but it wasn't my thing.  I also tried Vows and was just overwhelmed by the place.  Never made it to David's--too big, too many options, I couldn't bear to go.

In the end I got my dress at Flair Bridesmaids on Newbury St.  It's a small store with mostly (surprise) bridesmaids dresses and just a few wedding dresses.  I tried on everything that wasn't strapless (10 dresses max) and ta da!  It was the quickest, most pleasant shopping experience I had by far.  J. Crew at the Atrium was also comfortable--not pushy or overwhelming at all.

Flair doesn't do alterations so I went to Maria Lisa Bridal in West Roxbury, which also sells shoes and dresses.  I *highly* recommend the place--the seamstress is fantastic and attentive, and the dress selection looks great...but now that I have my dress (wedding in three weeks, what?!) I am not allowed to look at them.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I just think doing things just to make other people happy can be a dangerous precedent to set in the early wedding-planning stage.

buying your wedding dress is truly one of the most personal decisions anyone can make, so I really feel, at my core, that it's best to make that decision in the way that makes you most comfortable. family members should respect your wishes.
    When people are really pushing for the dress shopping experience, it's because they want to feel like you wouldn't pick out a dress without getting their opinion on it first. They want to have a say in your decision. And I think that's trouble. What if you put on your dream dress and they hate it? What if they love a dress you just feel okay with?

it's your dress, no one's going to wear it but you, and you only get to wear it once. you shouldn't let what other people want cloud your decision.

that's just my opinion. I think doing things to make other people happy is a slippery slope, and I very rarely venture onto it.

and there are plenty of other opportunities to get them involved. like having them come to the first fitting, or having them help pick out shoes or a veil, or come to the cake tasting.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Epigal. Show Epigal's posts

There's also Cristina's in downtown Andover. They have a great selection around $1000 (I can't remember their exact price range). I didn't get my wedding dress there, but I did get my bridesmaid dresses there, and the customer service was great! They also do alterations on-site, although my girls were from out of town and went elsewhere.

I think Vows can be great if you find something, but it was kind of frustrating and hit-or-miss for me. I went 3 times without success, and found the experience overwhelming. However, I heard they moved to a bigger location, so it might be more enjoyable now.

A few of my friends have gotten their dresses from Allegria Bridal in Belmont, and have had only good things to say about them.

Also, definitely try running of the brides if you can - not sure when it is. I actually know 3 girls who bought (and wore) dresses they found there! Again, it was a little too overwhelming for me (I'm slow to make big decisions), but it could be fun!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

The Running of the Brides is held in August and February, so I don't think that would work out.
    It's where I got my two dresses - couldnt decide!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from redflatshoe. Show redflatshoe's posts

I have been trying to contact Pricilla of Boston.  I sent emails last week to confirm appointment, I got a few responses but nobody would confirm the appointment.  So I called 4X today, nobody answers the phone.  Are they still in business?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Redflatshoe:  I would strongly advise you to avoid Priscilla of Boston.  I have heard some horror stories about them.  A friend recently got married and they didn't get her dress in on time.  She had to find an alternative 2 weeks before the wedding.  I don't know all the details, but I have also seen lots of brides complaining on the knot about their horrible alterations department ruining their dresses (to the point where, again, they had to buy new dresses in the weeks before their wedding). 

Maybe check out weddingwire to be sure, but from what I've seen/heard, I'd avoid them.  Or at least take your dress elsewhere for the alterations.

EDIT:  Reviews:  http://www.weddingwire.com/reviews/priscilla-of-boston-boston/8200988aaa859411.html

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from caringteacher. Show caringteacher's posts

I first went to Vows but was really disappointed. They don't order most dresses so you may find a dress you like but it might not be in your size so you couldn't get it. Then I went to David's Bridal in Dedham and got annoyed because she kept pulling dresses that I didn't want.

Finally, I went to Camilla's in Arlington and found my dress. I was nervous at first because the shop is small but they do have some beautiful dresses there. My dress is really nice with a lot of detail and lace and was about $1100. I went back last week to put the deposit down and they let me try it on again. They turned down the lights in the store just for me so I could see how much it sparkles at night and it was beautiful. They are really nice there!

I would recommend not going dress shopping on an empty stomach and bring water!!!

Sections
Shortcuts