Where to buy Spanx?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Where to buy Spanx?

Hi Everyone,

This has probably been discussed before, but I'd appreciate advice!  I'm a bridesmaid in a Sept wedding and I'm thinking about buying some Spanx to smooth out the dress.  I know you can buy them online, but I kind of want to try them on (if they let you) to see which type I like best.  Are there any stores that carry them where you can try them on?  Or at least check out the fabric in person (rather than buying blind over the internet)?

Thanks!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

Re: Where to buy Spanx?

Hi Trex!!
    I think you can buy them at VS! I find them incredibly uncomfortable though, but you may have better luck!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from heatherv1211. Show heatherv1211's posts

I was literally running around the day before my wedding looking for Spanx.  I ended up with something similar (not the Spanx brand, but the same idea) I got at David's Bridal.  Comfortable, worked well for what I needed. :)  I forget the brand.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

Also try Target's brand called "Assets" which is way cheaper. I've never actually tried on Spanx, but I got the Assets for my wedding and thought they were great.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheLongestTime. Show TheLongestTime's posts

Filenes Basement has them I think.

ETA: Oh wait does FB even exist anymore?? Sorry.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I believe you can buy Spanx at Macy's. I saw them there last month. Visit Spanx's website to read abotu sizing, if you don't buy the right size they can be uncomfortable.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

In Response to Re: Where to buy Spanx?:
    [QUOTE]Filenes Basement has them I think. ETA: Oh wait does FB even exist anymore?? Sorry.
    Posted by TheLongestTime[/QUOTE]

There's one in Newton.  Or possible Needham.  I get confused about the line.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

Lucy, it's in Newton :)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fall08Bride. Show Fall08Bride's posts

I bought them for my wedding at Nordstrom in Burlington - they are awesome!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Where to buy Spanx? : There's one in Newton.  Or possible Needham.  I get confused about the line.
    Posted by lucy7368[/QUOTE]

Lucy...LOVE the new avatar! :)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

[QUOTE]Also try Target's brand called "Assets" which is way cheaper. I've never actually tried on Spanx, but I got the Assets for my wedding and thought they were great.
    Posted by amschnittger[/QUOTE]

amschnittger, what was it like?  I bought something from Macy's (forget the name), and it was a full body suit, which smoothed everything out and made me feel slimmer.  I wore it at my shower, and I really loved it, but I don't think I could wear it for my wedding as it has straps.  Did you wear the full bodysuit type, or something different? 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I have the spandex shorts type of thing that go up to your bra.  Spanx, but not the name brand.  Got them at Target.  They wouldn't let me try them on, but I bought two sizes and they let me return one.  Kind of defeats the purpose!
    I have seen similar stuff at Macy's as well, and you can probably try them on there.
    For the wedding, my fabric (satin) was so thick, I didn't need to wear anything under it.  It hid everything just fine on its own.  Obviously there different fabrics and styles of dress out there, but I figured I'd share my experience!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

I'm wondering if it's going to be too many layers for me.  I'm wearing the corset type bra then the petticoat and top it off with my wedding dress.  If I wear a body-suit underneath that, it seems like it will be a lot of layering and it might feel heavy and too much.

Thoughts?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

You  can get Spanx at most major dept stores.  I usually get them at Macy's.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

Goodness, I would say that the corset and petticoat is enough. It will be a pain if you have to go to the bathroom!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]I'm wondering if it's going to be too many layers for me.  I'm wearing the corset type bra then the petticoat and top it off with my wedding dress.  If I wear a body-suit underneath that, it seems like it will be a lot of layering and it might feel heavy and too much. Thoughts?
    Posted by Goodness1[/QUOTE]

You will not need a body suit, definitely skip it.  The petticoat will be more than enough to smooth you out in the hip/tummy area, and the corset will prevent back bulge of any degree.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

yeah, would agree that a good corset eliminates the need.  My dress had built-in boning and a corset back, plus a thick fabric with lace overlay.  So I skipped the spanx.  The boning+corset did wonders for me--kept everything smooth and really defined the hourglass-type figure.  Made me feel like I was in Gone with the Wind or something though, as my sister laced it up really tightly!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

Great, thanks girls.  And, I completely forgot about going to the bathroom!  I might need to at some point that day...   Wink

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from wendy98. Show wendy98's posts

[QUOTE]Great, thanks girls.  And, I completely forgot about going to the bathroom!  I might need to at some point that day...  
    Posted by Goodness1[/QUOTE]
    Then again you might not.  I apologize for the TMI but I went around 8:30 AM and then not again until after the reception so around 6 PM or so.  I am sure that is not healthy but I really didn't have the urge to go, until I was back in our suite and I took off my shoes, and then it hit that my feet were a bit tired, and my bra was pinching and holy cr@p I had to go to the bathroom.  So I didn't set out to hold it all day it just kind of happened, and while I was in the thick of celebrations I just didn't have time to think about it.  The minute it was over and we were in the sanctuary of the room, all bets were off :)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from klm44. Show klm44's posts

FYI...Spanx are on clearance this week at Nordstrom!  Almost 1/2 off with their annual sale.  I know because I just bought some for my wedding! :)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

That's awesome!  Thanks KLM!  I'll have to check it out. 

[QUOTE]FYI...Spanx are on clearance this week at Nordstrom!  Almost 1/2 off with their annual sale.  I know because I just bought some for my wedding! :)
    Posted by klm44[/QUOTE]

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from november2009. Show november2009's posts

FYI just saw Spanx at the TJ Maxx in Fresh Pond, Cambridge.  They had about 20 - 30 packages.   Happy Shopping!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Just ran over to the TJ Maxx at Fresh Pond during lunch.  I looked in Lingerie, but no Spanx!  Plenty of other brands, but I was really looking for the Spanx.  Was I looking in the wrong place or did they really sell out already?  Oh well!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from november2009. Show november2009's posts

When I was at the TJ MAXX at Fresh Pond the Spanx were in with the other panty hose and tights in packages not hanging in the (hanging) lingerie section.  They might have sold out because the prices were low.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Thanks!  I'll run over again tomorrow and check it out!