Where to go for accessories?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lowren25. Show lowren25's posts

Hello!

So I've got the dress (well, ordered and waiting) and now I would like to start looking for accessories. I am thinking NO on the veil, but I am not sure. I would love a pretty hair clip or comb. Any ideas on places where I could go to browse? I loved the place where I got the dress, but their selection was a little limited on accessories. Anywhere in Boston or in the area is fine. Thanks!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from heatherv1211. Show heatherv1211's posts

Hi Lowren - There is a place on Rte. 9 in Natick called "Shoes to Dye For" (yes, tacky name!) and they have all kinds of wedding accessories (including, obviously, shoes, both dyeable and not). I was there over the weekend with my mom who got a purse and shoes. They have a decent selection of hair things, but my guess is that if you visit Claire's or some other inexpensive mall accessory store you can find some stuff as well! (depends on what you're looking for).

Good luck! :)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

what a great website, Kar! Makes me wish long hair didn't make me look like a 15 year old. ;)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, pinkie - it does me, too. I'm 37, and when I have my hair in a pony tail I get carded every single time.

About the veil, I considered not wearing one, too, since this was my second wedding, but I went with one that didn't cover my face. I thought it really completed the bridal look; it was "missing" without it IMO. I'm glad I wore one. Above is the no-veil bun, here's the veil. Demure but bridal, I thought. Imagine this photo without the veil. Maybe it's what you want - either way is fine, but maybe this visual will help?

DK110908_083_2-1.jpg picture by kargiver

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tibird. Show tibird's posts

huh, great minds think alike :) I just got back from lunch hour accessory shopping! I went to So Good in Downtown, but they didn't have much in the way of combs, clips & tiaras had a better selection. I will probably go back for earings, etc. but that wasn't my mission today.
    I also stopped at Claire's & they had a few different styles. I really liked the comb they had for $15.
    Thanks for the tip about Shoes to Dye for... with all I've heard, i still haven't been there.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from preserves. Show preserves's posts

Lowren- I was thinking No veil too...but my mom made a good point. This is(hopefully) the only time (other than first communion --if your catholic) that you get to wear a veil. She didn't do one on her wedding and she says thats one of the things she wished she had done. I'm thinking of just having a really simple one tiered one on a comb in the back of my updo for the ceremony and pictures and then taking off for the reception. I went on amazon and found a bunch of sites that had both jewelery and headpieces/veils.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

L'elite on Newbury Street has accessories.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lowren25. Show lowren25's posts

Thanks for all of the great suggestions. I love Etsy, it is a huge time sink for me. . . .

Kargiver, I really like your dress! Thanks for sending along both photos.

As for the veil, I am on the fence for a couple of reasons - I am short - 5 feet flat. So I didn't want a train or a big pouffy dress or anything else that might overwhelm me. The dress that I have ordered is a hi/lo style, and kindly of veil-y in its own right.

http://www.alfredangelo.com/Collections/ProductDisplay.aspx?productID=58ebc5de-3fe5-4f2e-9772-a55f696c0963&categoryID=32e5a88c-cbf1-498f-afcf-dbfca138c5d3&pg=0

So, we shall see, but I just wanted to look around and see what is out there.

With the dress, I think it is going to be all about the shoes anyway!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from circles82. Show circles82's posts

I just have to suggest Etsy.com - All handmade and you can have anything made if there is something more custom you had in mind. You can even order local if you want. I have seen so many beautiful things on there and many of the ladies on here have had great experiences.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I got these little crystal combs at SoHo, the mall kiosk "store" in the Natick Collection - note that you can see the bottom one best. They have beautiful combs and other hair accessories of all sizes in crystal and pearl mostly. FYI, I tucked a plain comb with an elbow-length, one-piece veil into the top of the bun. (P.S. The earrings were not from SoHo.)

The "SoHo" link above lists the following locations:
  11. Burlington Mall 781-273-6080
  12. Holyoke Mall 413-536-4860
  13. Natick Mall 508-647-0801
  14. South Shore Plaza 781-848-5838
  15. Square One Mall 781-231-5482

16. DK110908_033.jpg picture by kargiver

• You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

Awesome dress! One of my friends is very short and she wore somethig similar and it was gorgeous!
    I'd say try a plain, short, blusher veil- no beading or edging, in your hair. That way, it won't compete with your dress' detail.

[Quote]Thanks for all of the great suggestions. I love Etsy, it is a huge time sink for me. . . .

Kargiver, I really like your dress! Thanks for sending along both photos.

As for the veil, I am on the fence for a couple of reasons - I am short - 5 feet flat. So I didn't want a train or a big pouffy dress or anything else that might overwhelm me. The dress that I have ordered is a hi/lo style, and kindly of veil-y in its own right.

http://www.alfredangelo.com/Collections/ProductDisplay.aspx?productID=58ebc5de-3fe5-4f2e-9772-a55f696c0963&categoryID=32e5a88c-cbf1-498f-afcf-dbfca138c5d3&pg=0

So, we shall see, but I just wanted to look around and see what is out there.

With the dress, I think it is going to be all about the shoes anyway![/Quote]

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Reader001. Show Reader001's posts

I've seen some nice bridal hair accessories on ebay.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from Prill. Show Prill's posts

That dress is so pretty! I think given your short frame, and the intricacy of the dress you could get away with no veil and just a hair accessory/flower. I had no veil - for 2 reasons, one, I am just not a veil-ey person and two, my dress was champagne in color, so any veils I did see that matched just looked a bit dirty! I had an up do that was 'decorated' with three or four fresh baby roses.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

I love eBay, got my shoes and veil on there. My mom got her dress on there too.

[Quote]I've seen some nice bridal hair accessories on ebay.[/Quote]

• You have chosen to ignore posts from smithie02. Show smithie02's posts

Check out High Gear in the North End on Hanover. They have great stuff. We had an outdoor wedding, I had no veil and ordered some fancy hair pins on Hair Comes the Bride. http://www.haircomesthebride.com/ Totally cheesy name, but I loved my pins and I'm sending them to by girlfriend for her wedding this summer.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks, Hon! I LOVE your lacy gown! The asymetrical hem is awesome, just beautiful.

I'm only 5' 3.5" myself - I think you can find a demure veil that complements your gown (something VERY plain) and doesn't overwhelm your frame. But, of course, you are the bride and can wear (or not wear) what you want. I have to caution you, though, that I truly believe you'll miss it especially in the photos. Most of my photos just show a little hint of the veil on either side of my neck - not overwhelming at all, just there.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Not doing a veil either--just not my style, I think my friends and family would be perplexed if I showed up in a veil too--so I'm thinking either flowers in my hair or other hair accessories. Claire's is pretty good for this--for like $15 you can find something that works for one day but doesn't *look* cheap.