Which dress?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Which dress?

Hi Guys!  I'm still dress shopping and I'm wicked indecisive, so I figured I'd poll you guys!  I think I have it down to 2 dresses and I've mostly decided, but curious which one you guys like better.

Dress #1:

Dress #2:

Thanks!  Any and all comments welcome!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Re: Which dress?

I vote for Dress Number 1.  I'm not usually a huge fan of 'business' going on in the skirt, but I think it suits the dress better than the plain skirt in Dress Number 2.  I prefer the plainer top in Dress 1 as well. I don't know about the beaded embellishment in the bodice on Dress 2. 

Dress 2 is pretty, but it feels unfinished for some reason. 

Good luck deciding!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I also prefer dress #1.  Not entirely sure why, but I do.  It just has a little extra somethin'.
    I think it's the embellishment/neckline.  I like it better than the V shape of the embellishment on #2.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

The dresses are beautiful, but I wouldn't wear that white, oval veil.  Kiss

I like the first one better, as does my roommate (the not-crazy one). 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

You know my vote! :)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Elmgirl82. Show Elmgirl82's posts

Trex, I really like dress #1. It is beautiful!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

Lucy, you're so funny!

I vote dress #1 as well.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

Both are beautiful, but I have to agree with #1. Pretty!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Well, I guess I'm the entire minority, but I like dress #2 quite a bit better.  I think it shows off your perfect hour glass figure by creating more dramatic bust lines.  Dress #1 is lovely, too, and I do like the skirt on that one better.

Either way, you can't go wrong, you are beautiful in both of them.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from scrabulous. Show scrabulous's posts

I agree!  I love dress #2.  It's extremely flattering--it looks like it fits you perfectly already.  Overall, it seems to be more elegant than #1.  Maybe the material?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

I love them both, but I think I like dress 1 better on you - it seems to balance out your bust/hips really beautifully. 

Also, neither dress is fitted to your body yet, so I think both dresses, when altered, will mold to you really nicely.  Dress 2 does look like it fits better, but that's probably because the sample size DID fit you better! 

The only thing I don't love about dress 1 is the lace detail at the very top, above the bust. I think there would be a really beautiful, clean line if it were removed.

Sorry if you didn't want opinions that are quite that specific! 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JKFDais15. Show JKFDais15's posts

I also prefer #2 on your.  It accentuates your figure.  I also think that it is more elegant looking and I love the V neck line (no need for a necklace).  I love the ruching on it. 

Looks like you have a tough decision on your hands!!  :-)  Either way, both are beautiful on you! 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I know I've already weighed in, but just wanted to say that no matter how you have the first dress altered it will not be as bust/whole figure-flattering as #2. 
    And, (I know this would help me decide), you look about 12 lbs thinner (not that you are heavy) in #2, and I think it's all due to the extra flattering cut.  I tried on a dress that everyone agreed made me look heavy, and I'm a size 2 so the most subtle differences in cut can have a big impact.

Did you see the pun?  Weighed in?  HA!  I crack myself up...it was accidental, by the way. :)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Hi Guys!  Thanks for all the advice!  At first I was in love with Dress #2, but then I found Dress #1 at DB and it is a lot cheaper ($600 vs. $950) so I'm leaning towards that.  I do love Dress #2, but I had a few concerns: I felt the skirt was a little plain and it is a heavier satin, which I was worried about being hot for my August wedding.  The one thing I do like about #2 is that it has a corset back, which I do think fits a lot better (note in that pic, she had laced me up so tight I couldn't breathe, which is one reason it looks so good!).

Has anyone ever added a corset back to a dress?  DB says they can do it for $150 but she told me to order a size smaller if I want to add that, which concerns me a little.  Any thoughts?  Thanks for all the advice!

Also, I'd rather not use DB for alterations, so if anyone knows a seamstress who can add a corset back, I'd love their info!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

I bet Anahit can add a corset back.  From what I hear, she can do anything.  :)

Do you have a picture of the back of Dress #1?  (Either with you in it, or from the website).  Maybe we can convince you to save the money.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Here's the back of Dress #1.  I actually really like the back, but I feel like corset backs fit better (and are more forgiving if you change sizes a little!).  I did also like that this dress felt light, probably the cheap DB satin!  But it was soft and looked pretty!  I am wondering about how it bustles though.  I never thought I would like a skirt with pickups!

Here's the front detail:

on DB website: http://tinyurl.com/DBdress-1

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

I actually think dress #1 is more figure flattering.  So it's all a matter of opinion.

Thanks for posting the close-ups, Trex.  It's so pretty, front and back, but I bet the corset would look just as pretty in the back.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I agree 100% with ALF's first comment. I'm usually not a big fan of pickups and such on a dress, but that dress just works for you in all the right ways. I vote dress #1

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

I know, I am weighing in at this post late. But I like #2 the best. #1 is too busy for me with all the ruffling at both the top and the skirt. #2 looks a lot more classic to me. Besides I think the top at #2 is a lot prettier.
    Trex, sounds like you also are considering the price. So, #1 is not bad at all.
    Just wondering, why will you not wear a sari?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

I'm no help but I like the top of #2 and the skirt of #1. 

And, personally, I would lower the neck a bit.  I think it would be more flattering if it didn't come up so high straight across.  But they both look awesome on you. 

As far as sizing goes, remember that the dress you are trying on is stretched a bit from being tried on a lot of times.  But, I wouldn't pay to add a corset back if the dress doesn't come with one. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Thanks for all the compliments, guys!  Yeah, I like sweetheart necklines better too, so I might see if it can be altered to one.  Yes, I was pretty much set on #2, but it was over my budget, so I kept looking and was surprised that I liked a DB dress.  The cost is definitely a factor.

Pingo:  I'm not doing a sari for a couple reasons: 1) we're doing a JP ceremony, not hindu, 2) my parents have never been supportive so we aren't doing anything Indian except the food (which I think will be fun and yummy, and also on the off chance my parents come to the wedding, the only thing they eat), 3) most sari's/lehenga's show your stomach, which I'm just not cool with, 4) dress will be easier to dance in which is important to me and 5) even if I wanted to do indian clothing, i haven't found found stores that sell anythign I like and they are still crazy expensive.  Interesting that you ask though since I'm afraid to order a dress because I keep having second thoughts.  This has been very hard for me because I never really pictured myself getting married, so I never thought about what I woudl wear and now I have no idea if I am doing the right thing or not.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from FriarGirl03. Show FriarGirl03's posts

I would pick Dress #2 for me because I found that I liked the smaller skirts. I think they both are very flattering on you. The points you mentioned about Dress #1 are very valid. I think either way, you're going to look gorgeous!

I bought my dress off the rack and the seamstress is adding a corset to it because it is one size to small. It's going to cost between $125-$150. It's kind of a trade off because the alterations I need are as much as a new dress would have been!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I think a sweetheart neckline would look really nice on dress #1. I wouldn't lower the neckline any, though. if you do, make sure you do the jump test to make sure you won't pop out.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Trex - When you said your parents haven't been supportive, did you mean about the wedding?  If so, I'm sorry... that must be hard.  I hope they realize it's not worth risking their relationship with you to withdraw support because they don't agree with a choice you're making. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from cicirose. Show cicirose's posts

Trex - I'm so sorry to hear that your parents are not supportive. Is this what's causing your second thoughts? Are they about the dress or the wedding? Can you take some time before making a final decision or do you need to order one soon?

About the dresses, I think they both look beautiful on you! I understand what you mean about the sweatheart neckline. My dress has a neckline similar to #1 and they said it's no problem to turn it into sweetheart. Also, my dress has the corset back but I actual prefer the look of buttons so they are changing it for an extra $25 or $50, I think. I imagine if they can take away the corset pretty easily, they could add one too.