Would you ever wash your dress yourself?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rirlo01. Show Rirlo01's posts

Re: Would you ever wash your dress yourself?

Trex, a good friend of mine did this!  She's currently overseas and without regular email access, but I'll drop her a line and see if she has any tips to share.  She did it when she bought a used dress online and it arrived with a little dirt on the lower skirt.  Came out great.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LindaO1MrsO1. Show LindaO1MrsO1's posts

In Response to Would you ever wash your dress yourself?:
    [QUOTE]I'm curious, especially since so many people said they didn't want to pay to have their dresses cleaned.  My dress was fairly inexpensive and is all polyester, a very washable fabric.  I really want to clean it and I'm debating hand washing it in my tub.  I know polyester is washable and I don't need it preserved, I just want it clean so I can put it away (it has been hanging in the guest bedroom for 4 months...). So:  would you take the chance at washing it yourself? PS.  The other reason I'm thinking about it is that is how we used to wash ballgowns when I was ballroom dancing, and it worked fine.  Just tie off the feather bottoms and don't get those wet!
    Posted by trex509[/QUOTE]

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from LindaO1MrsO1. Show LindaO1MrsO1's posts

Trex,  since it is polyester, I would really try to wash it yourself.  Can you carefully cut a small piece off the hem and try to wash that?  Then, if it doesn't work, you will not have ruined the whole dress.  You might start with one of the current spot removers - Shout, etc.  But, I would also recommend you first try to use some very old fashion Fels Naptha soap (formerly known as "yellow soap") on the spot(s).  Again, use it on a piece of the hem.  You may have to scrub it btw your hands - unless you have access to an old fashioned wash board!
    When I was marrying my DH, my mother's trunk blew open and her dress blew out onto a highway.  She discovered what had happened, turned around, found the dress - with many tire trends over the dress.  My good friend carefully washed the dress the next day.  Only one stain didn't come out - and we pinned her corsage on that.  Back up plan:  Good friend was a great seamstress & said she could remake the dress so Mom could wear it at the wedding.  Thankfully, she didn't have to do that.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'd take it to a commercial laundromat and use one of the large front loaders for sure.  Definitely wouldn't do it in my tub.  What a PITA.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

as long as all of your detailing is sewn on and not glued, I think you could. If you do it and it works, I'll probably try it, too!
    If you have a lot of beading, I wouldn't put it in a washer. The beads can get caught on the fabric or the inside of the washer and that will just ruin everything.

I wash things in my tub a lot since my building doesn't have a washer and dryer. I usually use oxiclean and a little bit of tide free on things like my cushion covers and curtains. I put enough lukewarm water to cover, mix in the detergent, and then work gently with my hands. If the water gets dirty I rinse and repeat until the water's mostly clear. I've gotten some awful stains out of my couch cushions this way, I don't know why I never thought of it for my dress!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Do they sell large lingerie type bags?  You can also turn it inside out.  And, in a large commercial washer, there's no agitator to catch or pull the beading.  You can't wring it out because of the beading so I'm assuming it would be a drippy, sopping wet mess in the tub.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Trex,
    I think you can safely wash it at home on a delicate setting. Turn the dress inside out. If there are spots, use a scoop of Oxyclean in the wash. That will get almost any stain out.
    I have washed many items that say "Dry Clean only" this way w/o any problems. I know some posters suggest to take your dress to a commercial washer, but as long as this is the only item in the washer, I believe it would be safer to wash it at home.
    If it s polyester and there are no glued on beads, you could also safely place it in the dryer on the lowest setting for just a couple of minutes (still inside out) - to get the most of the water and wrinkles out. Then hang it up to dry completely.
    Good luck - Pingo

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

It depends on how much material it has.  I suggested a commercial washer because it's not expensive and it provides plenty of room to swish around and get clean.  I agree that a home washer on gentle will be fine IF you don't have to cram it in there to make it fit.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

in my experience, even the gentle setting on a front-load washer can still be bad when there are beads and sequins on an item. the beads and sequins can rub against the fabric.
    I prefer to wash those kinds of things in the tub, then just put them on a hanger and hang it from the shower head.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Hey Guys!  Thanks for all your ideas!  My dress does have beading and I would be very sad if it got ruined, so I think I'd try it at home first.  Not sure it would fit in my washing machine, it is pretty big... so I'm thinking the tub. 

Linda:  I actually have pieces of the train that were cut off from my seamstress, so I might test wash that!  I'll let you know how it turns out...

I'll have to experiment with soap.  What's best for body/sweat stains?  Unfortunately it was pretty tight and we danced A LOT... also some grass stains on the hem.  I usually use Tide Free (no scents/for sensitive skin) for my laundry, do you think that would work?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'd use an enzymatic laundry booster (like Tri-Zyme or Bac-out - just learned about the latter in Parents today) with a gentle detergent like Woolite.  The enzymatic booster will "eat" all organic stains and not touch the polyester, and Woolite will gently clean the whole gown.

Tri-zyme

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Kar, if I remember correctly, Trex's dress was a very simple A-line dress. I don't exactly remember if it was beaded or not. I don't believe it was.
    But you are so right, if t has a lot of material, a home washer would not do it. But in Trex's case, I think she will be fine doing it at home.
    I do not like commercial washers in general, b/c they recycle the water - and only God knows, what have been in there before your load.
    That is only one woman's opinion - Pingo

In Response to Re: Would you ever wash your dress yourself?:
    [QUOTE]It depends on how much material it has.  I suggested a commercial washer because it's not expensive and it provides plenty of room to swish around and get clean.  I agree that a home washer on gentle will be fine IF you don't have to cram it in there to make it fit.
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

They recycle the water?  I never knew that - we used a laundromat when I was growing up all the time; the clothes always seemed clean to me.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

depends on the washer.
    I know the big washers in the laundromat I use don't let you turn off the spin cycle. even the gentle setting has a pretty fast spin cycle right at the end. I've been to other laundromats where you could shut off the spin cycle.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Not to dffer from the crowd, but for the amount of work it will be, along with peace of mind, wouldn't you be better off having it professionally cleaned?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

In Response to Re: Would you ever wash your dress yourself?:
    [QUOTE]Not to dffer from the crowd, but for the amount of work it will be, along with peace of mind, wouln't you be better off having professionally cleaned?
    Posted by princess-cal[/QUOTE]

Actually, I think I far trust myself more than the dry cleaners.  I've seen so many beaded dresses ruined.  And I'm cheap.  :O)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rirlo01. Show Rirlo01's posts

Trex, I heard from my friend!  

"I hand-washed my dress before the wedding, since it came from someone else.  I got tips from a friend who had done her Vera Wang the same way. I'm sorry if I don't remember all the details, but basically I diluted Woolite in a bunch of water, used a clean white rag or towel and my hands, and dipped the dirty bits of the dress in the soapy water and scrubbed carefully til they were clean. then dipped them in a tub of clean water to rinse. Maybe a couple of rounds of rinsing. I went through a lot of water, and only went one small section at a time, but it did work in the end. Took a few hours."  

I might try it!  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

I have a silly question - if you aren't planning on wearing the dress again or reselling it, but are just keeping it for sentimental reasons, why would you bother washing it?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Thanks Rirlo!  That's awesome!  I definitely think I will try it when I have some time.

Alf:  I know it is silly, but I don't want to put it away in a bag until it is clean.  It has been hanging, airing out in my guest room since the wedding.  I love it, so it will just make me happy to have it clean. I know I won't wear it again, so that's why I'm not willing to spend a lot of money on professional cleaning. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rirlo01. Show Rirlo01's posts

Hi, Alf!  Any snow where you are?  

I don't think that's a silly question!  Perfectly reasonable.  As for me, I'll wash mine because I don't like dirt, even if it's just sitting in my closet.  :)  And knowing me, I'll haul it out just to stare at it someday and I'd rather not see the dirt again then, either.  

I don't want to shovel.  :(  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

I'm in DC. We got a dusting - no shoveling here.  People were freaking out last night though. OMG three flakes!  DH kept looking out the window last night praying for a snow day.

I'm a super neat freak myself, so I totally understand wanting to have a clean dress. However, I never got my prom dresses cleaned, or my wedding gown.  Funnily enough, I did get all my BM dresses cleaned on the grounds of 'well, I can wear them again'.  Yeah, that hasn't happened!  lol. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rirlo01. Show Rirlo01's posts

I grew up in ME and remember when a good friend moved to RI and got a day off because there were flurries.  Jealousy consumed me.  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

We moved here from Maine about a year and a half ago.  I cannot believe how crazy they get about a dusting [anything under 3 inches to me is a dusting].  lol.  They had plows, sanders, etc all lined up on the highways last night 'in anticipation' of 'Snowmageddon II' and we got next to nothing. :-)  Still, places had 2 hour delays and there were school closings in MD, which apparently got a few inches.  Because of school delays, I had clear sailing all the way into the office.  It was great!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rirlo01. Show Rirlo01's posts

Trex, my last comment had me on page 2, so I missed yours.  Happy to help!!  Let us know how it goes.  I plan to try it, too, but I'm so behind on my to-do list, it'll probably be summer before I get to it!

I know what you mean, Alf!  I take (slightly over-the-top) pride in my Maine roots and love, love, love the fact that snow doesn't throw me for a loop.  :)