WWYD shipping dress?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wendy98. Show wendy98's posts

WWYD shipping dress?

I would not trust any type of mail carrier (UPS, DHL, FedEx, post office) with my dress prior to the wedding. I guess the alterations can be done in a week but it also depends on how much work needs to be done and if there is a lot of lace and beading. In your shoes I would (or have your Mom) contact the person that will do the alterations and see if they would be able to accomodate the rush job.

Best of luck to you.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

WWYD shipping dress?

Awesome! Anahit will NOT let you down!!! She's a goddess of gowns. You have nothing to worry about, now.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

WWYD shipping dress?

Hi green card -- glad everything worked out for you. Happy days ahead!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

WWYD shipping dress?

Hi greencard,
    As an 'oversea's transplant' I have had many things shipped or mailed. Both ways. I never ever had any problems with any of the above mentioned shippers.
    But I would of course pay for insurance - and if it was something as important as your dress - I would have it send priority.
    I would never ask a friend to bring it. Not only are there so many restrictions on weight and pieces of luggage one can bring - but to give a frind that responsibelity, is IMO not right.
    You do not tell us where you are located, but these days tickets have become so cheap - so maybe the best thing for you would be to fly here and have the fitting done. I would not wait until the last week.
    But if you have to mail it - I would not worry. Those companies are professionals after all. Just think about the millions of pieces of mail that is mailed every day. We only hear about the few that get lost. Good luck!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenCardWedding. Show GreenCardWedding's posts

WWYD shipping dress?

I have a major dress dilemma: My [second] dress is meant to be in by April(The first dress I didn't like, so I exchanged it for the second). The original plan was for my mom to ship it to me overseas. But i jsut discovered ifs he does that and is truthful on the customs dec I will have to pay 27.5% import duty! So I see my options as: 1. Pay the $500+ dollars duty to get my dress here 2. Under value the declaration and risk the insurance on the dress (and pray nothing happens to it) 3. Try to find someone travelling here and beg them to carry it with them 4. Leave it at home and get it altered when I arrived home 1 week before the wedding (is there time to even do that??) What would you do, I need advice! Thanks in advance

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

WWYD shipping dress?

That's a toughie. I'm with Wendy, though, the dress very well could get lost in the mail and insurance and customs fees won't be able to prevent loss. I'd say the best of all these options, again, with Wendy, is not shipping the dress at all and making darned sure your seamstress will do it at that time. Could you get it in writing even? Not sure how I'd go about that, but maybe the lawyer on the boards can help...sorry, can't recall her name right now (pre-coffee, post-Advil PM brain!).

Good luck, Greenie!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from GreenCardWedding. Show GreenCardWedding's posts

WWYD shipping dress?

Thanks everyone, my mom called Chris O'hare and Anahit and Anahit agreed to alter it the week before the wedding if we set up (and keep) two fitting appointments NOW. So we are going to do that, which saves me organizing my flight attendant friend to mule it into Aus, then carrying it back on multiple planes (and making a quick mini break stop in Vegas first).

Cheers

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ilovebeagles. Show ilovebeagles's posts

WWYD shipping dress?

I agree with Kar......too risky to ship underinsured and you never know if it will get lost, stolen or damaged in the process. Then, you are on to buying your third dress!
    Much safer to leave it at home, and pay extra for the rush job alterations. It will be cheaper than all that worrying and possibly buying a third dress.

Any way you can head home at some point before for a first fitting, so the seamstress can get a head start? (I am assuming not, as you said overseas, but things like a hem or altering a bustline can be done way beforehand, as long as you have your shoes)

I am a lawyer, but not sure if I am on the one you mean Kar - but common carriers like UPS and FedEx wont put anything in writing, and even if the store clerk does, it doesnt mean squat because he doesnt have the authority to do that. Only HQ does. Or do you mean the seamstress? You could set up a contract with her, saying you will pay X amount to ensure the alterations are done prior to __ wedding date AND that is she is unsure if it will get done in time, she agrees to hire extra help to finish it and you will compensate her accordingly. The most important thing is that the dress get finished!