Addressing an envelope

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JKFDais15. Show JKFDais15's posts

Addressing an envelope

Hi All

How do you address an envelope for a family in which you are inviting the parents and the kids that live in that same household (or are in college) but the kids can not bring dates? 

Mr. and Mrs. John Smith and Lucy, Matthew, and Sara

Or

The Smith Family

and just hope they don't bring dates??  This is tricky..

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

Re: Addressing an envelope

I'd put:
    Mr. and Mrs. John Smith
    Lucy, Matthew, and Sara

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

You can do:

Mr. & Mrs. John Smith
    and family

If you're doing outer and inner envelopes, just list all the names seperately in the inner envelope.

If not, go with the above or "The Smith Family" and wait to see what the RSVP says. If they indicate thir kids are bringing dates, just call them up and politely explain that they cannot.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JKFDais15. Show JKFDais15's posts

Thanks guys.  Jasmine - I may have to go with what you say because there is no inner envelope (unless I add those but as of now there isn't) or like pink says.. wait and see what reply says but I'd rather not have those types of questions.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Are they adult children?
    Anyone over 18 should get their own invitation according to etiquette rules.

In Response to Re: Addressing an envelope:
    [QUOTE]Thanks guys.  Jasmine - I may have to go with what you say because there is no inner envelope (unless I add those but as of now there isn't) or like pink says.. wait and see what reply says but I'd rather not have those types of questions.
    Posted by Jan2010bride[/QUOTE]

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JKFDais15. Show JKFDais15's posts

16, 18, 19 is one set and 16 and 19 is another.  I figured they should get their own if they lived outside of home.. but not if they still lived in their parents house?  If not, then I could just send them separate ones and let them fill it out on their own I suppose.  Just seems like we'd be sending 3 invites to one address..

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

[QUOTE]You can do: Mr. & Mrs. John Smith and family If you're doing outer and inner envelopes, just list all the names seperately in the inner envelope. If not, go with the above or "The Smith Family" and wait to see what the RSVP says. If they indicate thir kids are bringing dates, just call them up and politely explain that they cannot.
    Posted by pinkkittie27[/QUOTE]

Ha, it's funny that one of our guests (who's also a groomsman) said that he's bringing a date even though he wasn't invited with one.  End of story. 

Um, okay?!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I know, but especially in this case it'll help with the confusion over dates.

From the site WedAlert in regards to addressing invites:
    Child under age 18 Nothing on outer envelope David, Alexis, and Sarah (first names only, oldest to youngest)
    Children over 18 - should receive their own invitation, even if still at home

Miss Abigail Bishop or

Mr. Kyle Smith

Miss Bishop (and Guest) or

Mr. Smith (and Guest)

[QUOTE]16, 18, 19 is one set and 16 and 19 is another.  I figured they should get their own if they lived outside of home.. but not if they still lived in their parents house?  If not, then I could just send them separate ones and let them fill it out on their own I suppose.  Just seems like we'd be sending 3 invites to one address..

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I remember you telling that story, and that's rotten. But hopefully this will be a different story. Sometimes groomsmen and bridesmaids have funny idea about what they're entitled to.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Addressing an envelope : Ha, it's funny that one of our guests (who's also a groomsman) said that he's bringing a date even though he wasn't invited with one.  End of story.  Um, okay?!
    Posted by Goodness1[/QUOTE]

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

I was a bit irked about it in the beginning, but I noticed that my fiance was a little hesitant to say anything.  I felt bad when he told me he was worrying about him "freaking out".  So, I dropped it.  I didn't want to press the issue, you know?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JKFDais15. Show JKFDais15's posts

good point!  Thank you!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Yes, but I think most other people understand when they're politely told they can't bring a date due to space/budget, just not your FI's GM

[QUOTE]I was a bit irked about it in the beginning, but I noticed that my fiance was a little hesitant to say anything.  I felt bad when he told me he was worrying about him "freaking out".  So, I dropped it.  I didn't want to press the issue, you know?
    Posted by Goodness1[/QUOTE]

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

[QUOTE]Yes, but I think most other people understand when they're politely told they can't bring a date due to space/budget, just not your FI's GM In Response to Re: Addressing an envelope :
    Posted by pinkkittie27[/QUOTE]

Oh, absolutely.  A couple others thought they could bring a date, but we told them "no" (very nicely, of course). 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from beefcake2. Show beefcake2's posts

Its funny how you always make every thread about you

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

*yawn* change the channel, we've seen this one before. This show needs new writers.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Honestly, I have never received an invitation to "and family" and taken that to mean I was allowed to bring a date... and when I was 11-16, all of my sisters' friends got married, and I was invited to about 10 weddings as part of "and family."

But, if I've learned anything on these boards, it's that you shouldn't assume people will behave the way you think they will.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from beefcake2. Show beefcake2's posts

just an old friend stopping by to say hello and you have my comments deleted.  I guess i will be banned again in a few minutes. so much for free speech.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Dougas!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

...and with nothing new to say!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

calmdown, dougas, beefcake...interesting name progression.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

at least there's no identitiy crisis and denial this time. Admitting you have a problem is the first step.

[QUOTE]calmdown, dougas, beefcake...interesting name progression.
    Posted by dkb6248[/QUOTE]

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

[QUOTE]16, 18, 19 is one set and 16 and 19 is another.  I figured they should get their own if they lived outside of home.. but not if they still lived in their parents house?  If not, then I could just send them separate ones and let them fill it out on their own I suppose.  Just seems like we'd be sending 3 invites to one address..

Jan2010, I think your logic is fine.  When I was in college, a couple of wedding invitations were sent to my family and I didn't think anything of not getting my own invitation.  Never gave it a second thought.
    We didn't have inner envelopes for our own wedding invitations, so I wrote Mr. and Mrs. John Smith and Family.  Maybe not technically OK, but you have to make it work somehow!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from JKFDais15. Show JKFDais15's posts

Thanks Fram! 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Epigal. Show Epigal's posts

I think adding 'and family' is perfectly fine if everyone lives at the same address. Most people will not think that "and family" means "and children plus dates" but I guess you never know. With just one kid, I think we're doing something like

Mr. and Mrs. John Smith
    Ms. Lucy Smith

but I guess the envelope would get pretty crowded with three names!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from downtoearth. Show downtoearth's posts

Mr. and Mrs. John Smith
    Ms. Lucy Smith

If she's a kid under the age of 16 - it shoudl be Miss Lucy Smith