addressing wedding invitations

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wendy98. Show wendy98's posts

Since this in the "etiquette" section I feel I have to say that you should hand address them to follow the rules.

I was originally against using lables and then found that I could better use my time elsewhere :) I did use clear lables, a nice font that was in a dark ink without too many curly things and so it was easy to read. I wasn't hell bent on following the etiquette rules, and in my circle of family and friends something like a label would not be noticed as anything significant. On most envelopes it was difficult to see that a label was used when we sent them out the door. My personal preference is for a nice label rather than a fancy caligraphy now that I have been there and done that. I will probably even move to a nice label for things like Christmas cards etc now.

Know the rules and then evaluate what is important to you and go with what works. If I were president and sending out invites to a dinner at the White House I would be sure to have the invites hand addressed by some one :), but my wedding was not that formal.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

DH and I also have terrible handwriting, so we used clear labels. If we had hand-written them, chances are the post office wouldn't have been able to read them.
    Plus, there are such nice fancy script fonts you can download.
    It's 2009, if you have bad handwriting clear labels are a better choice. My family and friends have seen (and poked fun at) my handwriting, they understood why I used labels.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

Even if the invite was handwritten in chicken scratch?
    If I have to choose between bad handwriting and labels, I'll pick labels every time.

[Quote]This must have been discussed here to eternity. AB is correct. A formal invitation should be handwritten.
    However, I have seen labels more and more lately. They don't look bad, but they don't look right either.
    Let me say it this way. When I receive a hand written wedding invite, I see the formality of it and will go the nine yards to show up in formal wear. But if it is just a label, I feel the wedding is more on the casual side (and there is nothing wrong with that) and will dress in a more casual way.[/Quote]

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I think the rule is out-dated. The labels look much better than they used to. Clear labels haven't always existed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from downtoearth. Show downtoearth's posts

IF your invitations are formal, the addresses should be hand written in black ink. Formal invitations are white or ecru with a raised border and engraved or embossed printing in treaditional invitations wording style enclosed in an inner envelope and mailed in an outer envelope.

For less formal invitations, such as those with a verse, a picture, colored paper or font or foldovers, labels are fine.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from michelle554. Show michelle554's posts

What is everyone's opinion on addressing the wedding invites with clear labels? I dont have the best handwriting and think it would end up looking better in the long run.

Is anyone else doing this?

Thanks!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Missy509. Show Missy509's posts

it is perfectly fine to do this

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

My MOH did this for my shower invitations, and they looked great!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

[Quote]IF your invitations are formal, the addresses should be hand written in black ink. Formal invitations are white or ecru with a raised border and engraved or embossed printing in treaditional invitations wording style enclosed in an inner envelope and mailed in an outer envelope.

For less formal invitations, such as those with a verse, a picture, colored paper or font or foldovers, labels are fine.[/Quote]

My wedding is formal, and I'm using labels. I think this "rule" is silly.

ETA: My wedding *invitations* and my wedding, are formal. :-)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

This must have been discussed here to eternity. AB is correct. A formal invitation should be handwritten.
    However, I have seen labels more and more lately. They don't look bad, but they don't look right either.
    Let me say it this way. When I receive a hand written wedding invite, I see the formality of it and will go the nine yards to show up in formal wear. But if it is just a label, I feel the wedding is more on the casual side (and there is nothing wrong with that) and will dress in a more casual way.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

I'm doing it. I'm all for it. It is 2009. My handwriting sucks. And I'm not paying someone. :-)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'd never decide my attire based on whether they are addressed by nice, clearly legible, clear address labels with pretty font vs. hand addressed! The style of the invitation, the venue, the food choices, and the time of day, would all impact my knowledge of the formality of the event.

I'm glad you're going with the labels. No sense inviting a lot more stress into your life for no reason. No pun intended. :)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

It's not that I didn't want to take the time to hand write the addresses. In fact, it takes long to type them into a computer, arrange the spreadsheet and then merge it into Word for the labels.
    I just have terrible handwriting, handwriting that I'm embrassed about. I wouldn't want it on a letter I was sending, let alone my wedding invitations.
    And, not everyone has the option of printing directly on the envelope if you're making your invitations at home. Especially if you're using a non-standard sized envelope.

[Quote]Well, I think labels suck. Not that it matters, since I'm clearly in the minority here. I mean, if you really don't want to take the time to write the addresses out, at least print them directly on the envelope.[/Quote]

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cyclechic06. Show Cyclechic06's posts

You are all forgetting there are other alternatives. I'm having my invitations addressed by the printer making our invitations. They're printed calligraphy-like by computer directly on the envelope. It was pretty inexpensive compared to hand caligraphy, I think we're paying $1.50/invitation and it's less of my time dealing with the hassle of printing clear labels myself.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheLongestTime. Show TheLongestTime's posts

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brighton1. Show Brighton1's posts

Well, I think labels suck. Not that it matters, since I'm clearly in the minority here. I mean, if you really don't want to take the time to write the addresses out, at least print them directly on the envelope.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[Quote]Well, I think labels suck. Not that it matters, since I'm clearly in the minority here. I mean, if you really don't want to take the time to write the addresses out, at least print them directly on the envelope.[/Quote]

I agree with you about non-clear ones, but I didn't even notice that my shower invitations were addressed on clear labels and not printed directly on the envelopes until my MOH told me how she did it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from michelle554. Show michelle554's posts

Thanks everyone!

Clear labels it is!! That saves me ALOT of stress =)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

[Quote]I'd never decide my attire based on whether they are addressed by nice, clearly legible, clear address labels with pretty font vs. hand addressed! The style of the invitation, the venue, the food choices, and the time of day, would all impact my knowledge of the formality of the event.

I'm glad you're going with the labels. No sense inviting a lot more stress into your life for no reason. No pun intended. :)[/Quote]

hahaha. Pun TOTALLY intended. ;-)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

[Quote]This must have been discussed here to eternity. AB is correct. A formal invitation should be handwritten.
    Let me say it this way. When I receive a hand written wedding invite, I see the formality of it and will go the nine yards to show up in formal wear. But if it is just a label, I feel the wedding is more on the casual side (and there is nothing wrong with that) and will dress in a more casual way.[/Quote]

Going by that theory...if you got an envelope addressed in my handwriting you would probably show up to my wedding wearing PJs. :-)

It is ridiculous to base your attire to a wedding on an envelope. It's a wedding, label or handwritten. JMO!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from michelle554. Show michelle554's posts

Looks like my invitations are going to suck then! =)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from michelle554. Show michelle554's posts

Also, it is not a matter of taking the time...it's more I dont want my awful handwriting ruining my invitations. If I had great handwriting, I would much rather write them out!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Prill. Show Prill's posts

We used clear labels - just with dark print and stuck them to gold envelopes. It never actually occured to me to hand write them!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

[Quote]You are all forgetting there are other alternatives. I'm having my invitations addressed by the printer making our invitations. They're printed calligraphy-like by computer directly on the envelope. It was pretty inexpensive compared to hand caligraphy, I think we're paying $1.50/invitation and it's less of my time dealing with the hassle of printing clear labels myself.[/Quote]

That is a good alternative. You can also print them at home if you have the right printer/envelope.

We're printing our own invitations so labels is the best choice for us.

This is one of those cases where "etiquette" can really be thrown out the window and convenience makes more sense. :-)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

I hear you! my handwriting looks like a teenage boy's handwriting.

[Quote]

Going by that theory...if you got an envelope addressed in my handwriting you would probably show up to my wedding wearing PJs. :-)

It is ridiculous to base your attire to a wedding on an envelope. It's a wedding, label or handwritten. JMO![/Quote]