addressing wedding invitations

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

[Quote]"We're not angry. I'm defending my opinion that the way an envelope is addressed is not the final word on the formality of an event."

Why do you feel you need to fiercly defend your opinion? We both have an opinion and I am not trying to change your opinion and you won't change mine. These boards are designed for discussions and when people start using words like stupid, silly,elitist, and superficial it becomes quite unattractive. I am all for a debate and I quite enjoy reading the differences of opinions, but the nastiness not so much.
    [/Quote]

For exactly the reason someone said before, it is being implied that our weddings aren't "classy." That is an insult. My wedding isn't classy b/c I am using labels to address my invitations, which I bought at Target and am printing at my own home (Ok, my mom's home)?

It is absolutely fine to have different opinions and necessary or this would be a really boring forum. But when you imply that my wedding, which happens to be everything so far that I have ever dreamed it would be not to mention I get to marry someone I love, not to mention I get to share it with 150 people I adore...isn't up to snuff b/c of LABELS...that is just insulting and hurtful.

The difference between the two strong opinions here is that the "angry label people" agree that handwritten invitations are nice if you a.) can afford it or b.) have nice writing or know someone who does. The "etiquette police" are insinuating that because the angry label ladies are using labels, that we will be frowned upon by some of our guests. Our guests, who are our friends and family. That is just ludicrous!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from helphelpImbeingrepressed. Show helphelpImbeingrepressed's posts

Thinking that the bride had a lazy moment is not the same as thinking less of the bride.

The time I got a preprinted photo thank you note, lacking any personal message at all, in an envelope with an address label made me smack my forehead, but I still love that girl to bits.

You can dislike an action without disliking the person.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from onecoolchick. Show onecoolchick's posts

[Quote]

For exactly the reason someone said before, it is being implied that our weddings aren't "classy." That is an insult. My wedding isn't classy b/c I am using labels to address my invitations, which I bought at Target and am printing at my own home (Ok, my mom's home)?

It is absolutely fine to have different opinions and necessary or this would be a really boring forum. But when you imply that my wedding, which happens to be everything so far that I have ever dreamed it would be not to mention I get to marry someone I love, not to mention I get to share it with 150 people I adore...isn't up to snuff b/c of LABELS...that is just insulting and hurtful.

The difference between the two strong opinions here is that the "angry label people" agree that handwritten invitations are nice if you a.) can afford it or b.) have nice writing or know someone who does. The "etiquette police" are insinuating that because the angry label ladies are using labels, that we will be frowned upon by some of our guests. Our guests, who are our friends and family. That is just ludicrous![/Quote]

If you read my post I never said someone's wedding wasn't classy. Someone asked the question would you notice? I said I would notice and I wouldn't care one way or the other, but I would notice.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

[Quote]

If you read my post I never said someone's wedding wasn't classy. Someone asked the question would you notice? I said I would notice and I wouldn't care one way or the other, but I would notice. [/Quote]

It's not all about you, chick. There are 107 posts in this string...maybe more now. The classlessness of labels has been implied over and over by numerous people, maybe not you.

the good thing is that the OP got her answer and she is using labels.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

Oh no, we care. You should by all means have the address the proper way i.e.:
    "Mr. and Mrs. John Smith
    82 (or Eighty-Two if you're a real stickler) Jones Road
    Anyplace Massachusetts 01234"

We're just saying that if your best option is labels, go for it. If your best option is handwriting or cfalligraphy, go for it.

[Quote]If you don't care about the etiquette of invitation addressing, why post on an etiquette board?[/Quote]

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from helphelpImbeingrepressed. Show helphelpImbeingrepressed's posts

I also just said I'd notice. I never said I'd think less of the bride. I only explained why I'd notice.

The accusations of elitism also elude me. I'm the Lowell-born daughter of a plumber living in a one-car household in Lynn. Elitism is not a charge often lobbed my way.

If you guys don't care that you're thumbing your nose at etiquette, then stop caring. For a bunch of blase revolutionaries you're awful afraid of being looked down on.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

Yes, I don't see how there's anything more to be said on the subject. I don't see the point in defending my right to defend my opinion.

I'm done.

[Quote]

Yes, unless people feel like battling this out longer....No need for this post to continue any longer! I will be using labels.

Thank you for all of your input.[/Quote]

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

[Quote]Yes, I don't see how there's anything more to be said on the subject. I don't see the point in defending my right to defend my opinion.

I'm done.

[/Quote]

Sweet. what should we talk about now? lol...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from michelle554. Show michelle554's posts

[Quote]

the good thing is that the OP got her answer and she is using labels.[/Quote]

Yes, unless people feel like battling this out longer....No need for this post to continue any longer! I will be using labels.

Thank you for all of your input.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Missy509. Show Missy509's posts

[Quote]So, putting a disproportionate level of importance on the way an address appears on an envelope isn't superficial?
    Is it logical then?
    Is it emotional?

[Quote]

Wait, pink, so this must mean judging something by its appearance isnt superficial??? My oh my, was I brought up wrong!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

[Quote][Quote]So, putting a disproportionate level of importance on the way an address appears on an envelope isn't superficial?
    Is it logical then?
    Is it emotional?

[Quote]

Wait, pink, so this must mean judging something by its appearance isnt superficial??? My oh my, was I brought up wrong![/Quote]

Clearly, we all were M issy! I think I need to call my mom. I'm feeling very confused.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from samanthastevens. Show samanthastevens's posts

If you don't care about the etiquette of invitation addressing, why post on an etiquette board?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

just as I haven't called anyone stupid, but that didn't stop you from calling me out for it, did it now?

[Quote]

If you read my post I never said someone's wedding wasn't classy. Someone asked the question would you notice? I said I would notice and I wouldn't care one way or the other, but I would notice. [/Quote]

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

You flat out said labels are lazy and say "mail merge" to you.
    So you'd think all that and not think any less of the bride?

[Quote]I also just said I'd notice. I never said I'd think less of the bride. I only explained why I'd notice.

The accusations of elitism also elude me. I'm the Lowell-born daughter of a plumber living in a one-car household in Lynn. Elitism is not a charge often lobbed my way.

If you guys don't care that you're thumbing your nose at etiquette, then stop caring. For a bunch of blase revolutionaries you're awful afraid of being looked down on.[/Quote]

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Missy509. Show Missy509's posts

[Quote]Thinking that the bride had a lazy moment is not the same as thinking less of the bride.

[/Quote]

Soooo, the bride who spends the time typing up her addresses, mail merging them, printing them herself and sticking them on her envelopes herself is LAZIER than the bride who hires a calligrapher to do all the work for them?

Gee, the things I am learning today.

Lesson one: Judging something by its appearance is not superficial

Lesson two: having someone do the work for you is not lazy, but doing the work yourself is.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Missy509. Show Missy509's posts

[Quote]If you recall, I did say I disliked professional calligraphy as much as labels.

Try again.

[/Quote]

You also said how impersonal labels are but its ok to have someone else handwrite the envelopes because as long as it is handwritten it is much more personal. how is it more personal to have a stranger write your envelope??

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

lol, dead horses?

[Quote]

Sweet. what should we talk about now? lol...[/Quote]

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Missy509. Show Missy509's posts

Oh AB, handwriting by a stranger is NOT more personal than the person you know doing it.

Handwritten by the COUPLE is personal

Labels by the COUPLE is personal

Once you start having OTHER PEOPLE do the work for you, it is not personal. You asking your moh to address my envelope is not personal. You couldnt even take the time to personally address my envelope and invite me.

Ink from a pen is not more personal than ink from a computer. Ink is ink is ink. What makes it personal depends on who does the writing, whether it is the person you know (personal), or the person who the job was pawned off on (not personal)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from irishchick. Show irishchick's posts

Not to add fuel to the fire, but is the etiquette standard to have the return address handwritten as well? What if the return address is a label and the outgoing address is handwritten? Is that tacky, or does the fact I'm asking mean that it is? Thanks!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from downtoearth. Show downtoearth's posts

Handwriting is more personal than computer labels or hired caligraphy.

Who does the handwriting is not the relevant issue.

(I tried SO HARD not to address this question....but I lost my resolve.)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from downtoearth. Show downtoearth's posts

In my experience, the return address is generally pre-printed (engraved or embossed) on the envelope.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

lol, Missy! Someone should really write to Merriam Webster to let them know about "superficial". I'm worried about all those kids who'll need to re-learn it for the SATs.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

What is the law of thermodynamics by C.P. Snow?

I'll take Therapists for $300, Alex.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Missy509. Show Missy509's posts

[Quote]You cannot win. You cannot break even. You cannot get out of the game.

[/Quote]

HAHAHAHA That is all you've got, because you cannot realistically explain how having friends of the couple help out and address your invitation is more personal than the couple themselves making, printing and sticking on their own labels.

So yes, I did win.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from helphelpImbeingrepressed. Show helphelpImbeingrepressed's posts

You cannot win. You cannot break even. You cannot get out of the game.