another and guest thread...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

[Quote]

The plural of faux pas is faux pas. It's pronounced differently though, as "faux paz" rather than "faux pa". ;-)[/Quote]

Oh la la - another frenchy onboard? Yay!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Well that is an interesting story! And I see your point, deebs, they could have just written Mr. and Mrs. Smith.

I was so relieved when I realized the invitations to my dad's friends could be addressed to Mr. and Mrs. John Smith. Do you think he knows all their wives' names?!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

So it sounds like your real problem with it is the fact that it's the absolute norm to register these days, and this is driving your reluctance to believe it could possiblly be a truely innocent mistake for them to have included the info. Thanks for responding more in depth.

ETA: Did I understand correctly?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

[Quote]

LOL. I had French Canadian nuns for grammar and middle school. We were compelled to take French. Of course, we all acquired an abysmal French Canadian accent. C'est la vie![/Quote]

I majored in French in college and I use it never. But I still love it and I was really pleased to discover that I still have it when we went to France this fall!

I'm going to have to look into this faux pas question... not because I doubt you, but I'm intrigued. I'm trying to figure out if it originally came from a verb or a noun.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

If everyone got Guested, it was simply an etiquette faux pas. There are many, many people out there who believe that it is the correct thing to do.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from deebs620. Show deebs620's posts

Since the topic of and guest seems to be a popular one lately, I thought I'd share my story from this weekend. My husband and I have been married for 6 months now and just this weekend I received and invite in the mail to a coworkers wedding addressed to "First Name Married Last name and GUEST" Apparently my husband is not good enough to be acknowledged.. he is a Guest. I mean seriously you didn't even have to know his name...all they needed to write was Mr and Mrs Last name!! Its like they wanted to and guest everyone. All my other coworkers (all not married but some have live in SOs and they all got and guested too). Just thought it was worth sharing for some amusement.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

Alf, I have a silly question. I have been on these boards for a VERY long time, but still don't know what "DH" means. I know it means husband, but what's the "D" part?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

Maybe they've never been invited to a wedding before. That's a distinct possibility.
    I was the first of my group of friends and cousins to get married. I'd never recieved an invitation addressed to me personally. All the wedding I'd attended up until that point, I had attended as a just or with my parents.

[Quote]

They should think otherwise because they most likely do not receive them in other people's wedding invitations, so why put it in their own[/Quote]

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I don't know what any of the acronyms on the TTC thread are. I'm a lurker over there for the most part...

P.S. I figured out "2ww" as two week wait.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Kar and Good - someone posted on the Parenting board a few weeks ago (I think it's in the General section) asking what the acronyms mean. You can find most of them there.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

[Quote]Now, amschnittger's cracking me up. It's been a long day... this is fun.

I really, really like toast!! We didn't register for a toaster. Guess what I'm adding to our list ;)[/Quote]

Is it the one I picked out? That would be so exciting!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

[Quote]I don't know what any of the acronyms on the TTC thread are. I'm a lurker over there for the most part...[/Quote]

Kar, we've been TTC for about a year and half and I still don't know what all the acronyms on that board are! Hmm, maybe that's why I'm not pg yet? lol.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

When my fiance and I went to register, we asked the woman helping us, "What should we put on our list?", and she told us, "Whatever your little hearts desire".

It doesn't matter what you register for. Registries can have whatever items you want on them, and whatever items you'll use most. It's whatever you "want" and "need".

I agree with you pinkkittie. Register for whatever will be of use to you. Who cares what anyone else says.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Missy509. Show Missy509's posts

I just dont understand how someone cannot know it is rude to include the registry card. You never ever ever host a party and solicit for gifts, whether it is graduation, birthday, christmas or a wedding. they are all gift giving events and you never ever make a list of what you want and include it with the invitation. that is just common sense and inexcusable.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

there are $300 toasters. I've seen them. There are even $800 toasters. So, it's not apples to oranges.

The important point to make is that any registry should contain items that cover a wide price range, starting at $25 or $20.

[Quote]

Pink, I am sorry, but if someone registers for a tv on a registry, that is ridiculous. Comparing a toaster under $50 to a TV for several hundred dollars is apples to oranges. People registering for outrageously priced items are gift grubbing.[/Quote]

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

[Quote]But times have changed and, for the most part, people have lived on their own prior to being married, granted that's not the case for every single person in the world, and I never said that it was.
    But it's the case more often than not. Just as it used to be the case, more often than not, that people hadn't lived on their own prior to being married- which is why people gave them household items for wedding gifts.

I would say my "need" for a toaster or coffee maker is on par with the "need" for a TV. I wouldn't die for want of one, nor would the quality of my life be greatly depreciated if I didn't have one.
    So, I think when people balk at couples who register for things like TVs, you're really just splitting hairs. If you don't want to buy them that, then don't. You don't have to go around saying "I can't believe they regsitered for a TV!" because tyo people like me, a stand mixer is just as unecessary as TV would be to you.
    Some people really want a toaster, some people don't. Some people want a TV, some people don't. I don't own a toaster. DH and I don't drink coffee, so we don't own a coffee maker either.

My point is I've never seen a single thing on registry I would consider a "need". They're all "wants". And trying to make some people's "wants" somehow more valid than other people's "wants" is just pointless. We all have different priorities.[/Quote]

Well, if you want to be totally literal about it, then no one needs anything more than food, shelter and clothing. So I guess we should register with Stop and Shop, or give the account number for our mortgage or rent payment.

I needed a coffee maker. Mine broke and I was reduced to having it at work and having tea at home. My life improved immeasurably, as did the lives of everyone around me, when I got a new coffee maker. I am one of the world's biggest caffeine addicts. :-) Some of us do in fact need coffee.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

ALF - LOL!! I guess we better study up or we'll never join the Parenting scene! :D

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

[Quote]

I get what you're saying kar, I think to me, what bothers me more and more is that just because a couple decides to wed, they automatically assume that they get to make a list and are entitled to people buying them stuff. Its the entitlement attitude I cannot stand. It is like the couple forgets the big picture and gets so caught up in planning an elaborate party that costs a fortune and in receiving lots of gifts. what ever happened to people just getting married and celebrating with those they love? why does it have to be such a huge thing now?

[/Quote]

Missy, do you have a registry yourself?

I did, and didn't see anything wrong wit it. However, I would rather die than send out registry cards w/ my invitations, or to know someone sent them out w/ the shower invitations. I think it is entirely possible to have a registry and not be greedy or interested in a gift grab.

Also, I am routinely asked what I want for my birthday and Christmas by my family. They have never gone out and just purchased some random gift - at least since I've been over the age of 15. I also ask them what they want. We don't establish a registry of a written list, but we certainly do ask people what they want.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

[Quote]Hopefully, they won't make all the possible wedding etiquette faux pas! (What's the plural of "faux pas?")[/Quote]

The plural of faux pas is faux pas. It's pronounced differently though, as "faux paz" rather than "faux pa". ;-)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good idea, lucy!

Fram, sorry to disappoint, but I'm merely sounding pretentious - I don't have any French in me...until I have fries. :)

ALF, thanks for the French answer! I've always wondered, and, sadly, I took French in high school and couldn't remember.

I'd agree with it being lazy, but is it possible that there are ignorant people out there who think they are doing the right wedding thing by purposefully using "and guest?" Please, I need to think so....please!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Missy509. Show Missy509's posts

[Quote]I don't mean to be a stickler, but I'd say that 9 out of the 10 couples getting married ASSUME that they're getting gifts for their wedding. Or, gifts for the bridal shower, and money for the wedding. I'd say that it's very far and few between who really "don't want any gifts or money" when they get married.

I don't know if many people on this board can say the same. That all they want to do is party with their family and friends with no expectations of receiving gifts or money.

I do get that some weddings really do get overblown and crazy, but it doesn't mean that I'd EVER show up to a wedding empty handed. NEVER. I think most people would agree with me.

So, with regards to the couple who put their registry card in the invite, who cares? Seriously. Get over it. Honest mistake.[/Quote]

No I did not register and I said I did not want a shower.

Of course you do not show up empty handed to a wedding. I never said I do that. I said it is ridiculous when people EXPECT gifts. Many brides think that they are entitled to it. They are not. If someone chooses to throw you a shower, so be it, but if not, do not ever ever ever stick a registry card in a wedding invitation! That is just as bad as hosting your own shower.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Goodness, for you or him, or both of you?! :D

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Well I think it's a big deal. It's just totally lazy to not even bother to find out the names of your guests for your wedding invitations. It's the biggest and most important party you're ever going to throw in your entire life and you can't even be bothered to figure out the guest list? But the bride sure remembered to let everyone know where to get the loot she's expecting, didn't she?

Thanks for the laugh deebs!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Missy509. Show Missy509's posts

I get what you're saying kar, I think to me, what bothers me more and more is that just because a couple decides to wed, they automatically assume that they get to make a list and are entitled to people buying them stuff. Its the entitlement attitude I cannot stand. It is like the couple forgets the big picture and gets so caught up in planning an elaborate party that costs a fortune and in receiving lots of gifts. what ever happened to people just getting married and celebrating with those they love? why does it have to be such a huge thing now?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

[Quote]
    They should think otherwise because they most likely do not receive them in other people's wedding invitations, so why put it in their own[/Quote]

Most people don't think that way. If they even thought, "Hmmm... I've never seen these cards in invitations before," they probably just figured that the other couples mailed invitations before registering. Most people don't like to think they're being rude.