another and guest thread...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

That and they included registry info as well...It just goes against all I have learned from this board! I guess she is not a BDC member!

That's hilarious!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from deebs620. Show deebs620's posts

[Quote]I think that is an honest mistake. Maybe they don't know your hubby's name.

Were they invited to your wedding?[/Quote]

Well the don't need to know my hubby's name...they know "our" last name since they used my married last name when addressing me...I guess that was my point.

It is probably true that they didn't know any better, I just wondering if they and guested all married couples...kinda weird.

They did not get invited to my wedding. My coworker definitely knows my husbands name (first and last) however I am sure it was his fiance that did the invitations...which also were addressed not by hand and not even printed...but on a sticker as well to top it off. Maybe it was just the combo that got me so thrown off. That and they included registry info as well...It just goes against all I have learned from this board! I guess she is not a BDC member!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

I think that is an honest mistake. Maybe they don't know your hubby's name.

Were they invited to your wedding?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Missy509. Show Missy509's posts

its really not a big deal. its an envelope. what matters is that they invited both of you. throw the envelope away and worry about more important things.

Including the registry info...TACKY!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hopefully, they won't make all the possible wedding etiquette faux pas! (What's the plural of "faux pas?")

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

they addressed them by hand...on labels? hahahaa. that's annoyingly cute.

ETA: Nevermind I misread that. I love labels, yay labels! :-)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from deebs620. Show deebs620's posts

[Quote]its really not a big deal. its an envelope. what matters is that they invited both of you. throw the envelope away and worry about more important things.

Including the registry info...TACKY!![/Quote]\

Like I said...its not so much one individual thing that bothered me...its just the combo of all of it...

and ps...aren't we not supposed to use the word "takcy" anymore...I thought it was on the banned word list ;)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

It may be that they just didn't bother to get names, but I doubt it. All their SOs got guested. I'd bet good money that they truly thought that's how you address wedding invitations.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

I don't know. I will "need" the china and fancy flatware I registered for when I have my big family dinners at my house.

I think registries are things that people need and want. Doesn't make them wrong for wanting or needing things. Or, for telling people where they're registered, if people ask.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

let's face it: anythign a bride or groom can register for, they don't really need.

If they register for sheets or towels, it's not because they don't own any.
    If they register for dishes or flatware it's not because they currently eat off the table.

A gift is a gift is a gift. I'd rather give someone what they want, if I can afford it. if they're not registered for anything I can afford, I'll give them a gift card or a check.
    I'm through passing judgement on people.
    These aren't the days of dowrys when a married couple were going to be living ont heir own in a new home for the first time. Let's stop pretending that's how it is.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

I'm not painting Missy to be a villain. I was just assuming from the many etiquette mistakes presented on this particular invitation that the couple most likely just doesn't know the first thing about etiquette. I wasn't defending their actions, I was defending their right to be ignorant of etiquette.

I think registry cards shouldn't exist. They are, by nature, misleading. With the existence of wedding websites and email, there's no need for them. All they seem to do is lead the naive to make a terrible faux pas through no fault of their own.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

My TV cost less than this toaster.

A lot less.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Preach it, Sistah! (ICK!) I have a hard enough time seeing those men in speedos. There was one in front of us in Aruba (we all had our general shady spots), and DH dubbed him "Mr. Wonderful" for how he clearly thought of himself.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

Ha, ha... okay. I really thought, and don't laugh, that it meant "Designated Husband". Like, the one for now!!

Whoops!!

I'll remember the "Dear" one, though.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Missy509. Show Missy509's posts

[Quote]there are $300 toasters. I've seen them. There are even $800 toasters. So, it's not apples to oranges.

The important point to make is that any registry should contain items that cover a wide price range, starting at $25 or $20.

[/Quote]

Well, if someone put a toaster that expensive on their registry I would consider that gift grubbing too.

My point is that weddings have become too much about gifts and less about the actual wedding. I find it sad.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

[Quote]

Well, if someone put a toaster that expensive on their registry I would consider that gift grubbing too.

My point is that weddings have become too much about gifts and less about the actual wedding. I find it sad.[/Quote]

Why would that be gift grubbing just b/c its not a typical toaster? What if that person or couple REALLY REALLY REALLY likes toast? And that toaster is just their absolute DREAM toaster...its not greedy of them to put it on their registry!

I mean, it seems totally ridiculous to you and me, sure, but to them...THINK OF THE TOAST! :-)

I'm being serious, even though I'm exuding much sarcasm.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

I agree with samanthastevens. Don't make generalizations on how or where people live prior to marriage. Not everyone has had the privilege to live on their own or with their partner prior to marriage.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Missy509. Show Missy509's posts

[Quote]

But, let's not turn Missy into a villain over this, though, seriously. I think she does have a good point that the gift part of weddings has gotten pretty darned large in proportion to the whole wedding/reception experience, and maybe it is too bad to have so much focus on the gifts. I think that's the only point she's making if she doesn't mind my saying so.

[/Quote]

Hit the nail on the head kar!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

[Quote]I'm going to register for thong underwear. Or, is that too weird??[/Quote]

Not if you and hubby are underwear models!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I really wasn't meaning to accuse people of villifying (sp?) Missy; I just didn't want this to turn into a blood bath for what sounded like a bit of a misunderstanding of where I believed (and she's confirmed) she was coming from.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

[Quote]
    lol. If you are paying that much for a toaster, it had better clean the kitchen, do laundry and satisfy in the bedroom in addition to toasting bread and heating up pop tarts. :-D[/Quote]

I feel the need to point out that I do not own, nor do I want, that toaster (or one like it).

But, as I've said before, I don't really see anything wrong with registering for a TV, if you really want a new one, and have friends who are likely to each pitch in $40 or so to get it for you. Or, if you just want the 10% discount you'll get when you buy it yourself after the wedding.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from heatherv1211. Show heatherv1211's posts

Alf - that is a GREAT IDEA! I'm cancelling all my registries STAT and passing out my mortgage info...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

yes, sounds like she either doesn't know about or care about etiquette. Which isn't the end of the world, just don't expect a thank you card from them if you give agift.

Sections
Shortcuts