1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

Re: Avatars - Polls

well, clearly since yours is the only opinion that matters and personal taste doesn't matter in the least...

[QUOTE]Qdoba's burritos taste like a wet dishcloth. I'll dis them with aplomb, tyvm. The only chains I'll go to are locally owned ones. If we keep letting national chains take over, you can kiss our local color goodbye. If I wanted the vanilla sameness of the rest of the freakin country, I'd move. This place around the corner isn't a chain. It's a total mom n' pop place. The DIY marketing and signs says it all.
    Posted by helphelpImbeingrepressed[/QUOTE]

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

[QUOTE]That sounds incredible. My friend is performing in Rochester this weekend I will have to tell her...what's the place called?
    Posted by amschnittger[/QUOTE]

There are a bunch of places that do it--Nick Tahoe's in the center of the city is the original, and then there are the various "Hots" in surrounding towns--Penfield Hots, Empire Hots, Henrietta Hots,  Fairport Hots, Webster Hots, etc. My fave is Empire Hots, followed closely by Fairport Hots.

I'm already jealous that your friend will have the opporuntity to eat one of these classic dishes. Warn her that it looks gross, but she will not be disappointed!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

I think I saw something on that on either the Food Network or the Travel Channel.

[QUOTE]If you want something orgasmically delicious, go to Rochester NY and get yourself a garbage plate. They're generally consumed after a night of heavy drinking, and involve: styrofoam container with globs of mac salad and home fries topped with two cheeseburger patties coated in a blanket of ketchup and occasionaly a Secret Sauce. Cut up, mix together, and nom. I've been craving one since I moved to Boston. No burrito can hold up to a plate.
    Posted by WhirledPeasPlease[/QUOTE]

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

[QUOTE]Dude, we just got a burrito joint walking distance from my house in Lynn and it's amazing. They taste very much like Anna's and they sell Jarritos sodas. Lynn feels civilized now. F- Chipotle and Qdoba. Chain burrito shops can go play in traffic.

No one in Massachusetts makes a decent burrito.  We just think they just taste good because everyone's taste buds are frozen, and no one knows what Mexican food is supposed to taste like.  Chain burrito shops in places that have real Mexicans, and real Mexican food, are delightful.

I'm sorry, but if I want decent Mexican food, I have to make it myself.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

[QUOTE]There are a bunch of places that do it--Nick Tahoe's in the center of the city is the original, and then there are the various "Hots" in surrounding towns--Penfield Hots, Empire Hots, Henrietta Hots,  Fairport Hots, Webster Hots, etc. My fave is Empire Hots, followed closely by Fairport Hots. I'm already jealous that your friend will have the opporuntity to eat one of these classic dishes. Warn her that it looks gross, but she will not be disappointed!
    Posted by WhirledPeasPlease[/QUOTE]

haha I'm jealous too! Of course she probably won't actually eat it because she's in "showbiz" but I'm going to try my best to make her cave! haha

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

[QUOTE]No one in Massachusetts makes a decent burrito.  We just think they just taste good because everyone's taste buds are frozen, and no one knows what Mexican food is supposed to taste like.  Chain burrito shops in places that have real Mexicans, and real Mexican food, are delightful. I'm sorry, but if I want decent Mexican food, I have to make it myself.   
    Posted by lucy7368[/QUOTE]

If you want good Mexican food, try Casa Romero in Back Bay. Their food is awesome! 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

mmmm Jose's in Cambrige...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

the Anna's near my place sure doesn't have WASPS behind the counter.
    I'm just sayin'

[QUOTE]No one in Massachusetts makes a decent burrito.  We just think they just taste good because everyone's taste buds are frozen, and no one knows what Mexican food is supposed to taste like.  Chain burrito shops in places that have real Mexicans, and real Mexican food, are delightful. I'm sorry, but if I want decent Mexican food, I have to make it myself.   
    Posted by lucy7368[/QUOTE]

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

I think I'll stick to $6 Anna's burritos over $25 Casa Romero entree's.

[QUOTE]If you want good Mexican food, try Casa Romero in Back Bay. Their food is awesome! 
    Posted by ALF72[/QUOTE]

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Their ceviche is to die for.  And the ambiance is a hell of a lot better than Anna's. I wouldn't go there for burritos, though. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Clearly, those to restaurants aren't meant to be competitors.  You two are on edge this morning! 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

I'm not on edge, I just thought it was funny that while we're talking about fast food ALF brought up a four star restaurant.
    Apples to Oranges.

But I also thought it was funny because I was on Casa Romero's website three days ago because my mom wants to go there for her birthday. She said she went there years ago and has been dying to go back. My mom and I love Mexican food.

And unlike cannolis, the way you like your burrito is totally 100% personal taste. We'd never be able to agree which one was the best, as they're all slightly different, beign a totally customizable food item.

[QUOTE]Clearly, those to restaurants aren't meant to be competitors.  You two are on edge this morning! 
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from helphelpImbeingrepressed. Show helphelpImbeingrepressed's posts

However, Qdoba always manages to taste bland and soggy, no matter what you add or take away.

It's their lame-ass rice.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

well helphelp, maybe to you it does. But to me, and several others I know, and I'm assuming everyone standing in the line that extends out the door of the Qdoba in Dowtown Crossing every afternoon, it does not.
    Maybe it's your lame-ass tongue? Wink

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from helphelpImbeingrepressed. Show helphelpImbeingrepressed's posts

Is there no longer a Herrera's cart in downtown crossing? WTehF are people eating Qdoba for? My mother and I both would drench Qdoba's burritos in hot sauce so we could taste something.

It's definitely not me. Most Americans like bland food. I have to basically beg, forcing fake tears and everything, when I'm out for Indian for them to make it properly spicy like it would be in India. Most Mexican you get around here is super bland, unless you're in the right neighborhood.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

[QUOTE]I'm not on edge, I just thought it was funny that while we're talking about fast food ALF brought up a four star restaurant. Apples to Oranges. But I also thought it was funny because I was on Casa Romero's website three days ago because my mom wants to go there for her birthday. She said she went there years ago and has been dying to go back. My mom and I love Mexican food. And unlike cannolis, the way you like your burrito is totally 100% personal taste. We'd never be able to agree which one was the best, as they're all slightly different, beign a totally customizable food item.
    Posted by pinkkittie18[/QUOTE]

The general discussion may have been about fast food, but I was responding to lucy, who said if she wanted decent Mexican food she had to make it at home.  I suggested Casa Romero to her for Mexican food, or at least that was my intention.  I didn't get the impression that she was talking about burritos when she was lamenting the lack of decent Mexican food in Boston. 

Now, if you want good cannolis you have to go to Maria's - which is a bread shop in the North End. They'll fill them while you wait.  It doesn't get any fresher than that!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

yes, Maria's is good, I also love Modern Pastry.

A for a type of food that you can't find in Boston, it's BBQ and cornbread.
    The only good BBQ I've ever had in New England are those folks who will cater parties by rolling out the mobile smoker and cooking the pig whole. Which is great if you're having a party, but if it's just DH and I, we're out of luck.

[QUOTE]The general discussion may have been about fast food, but I was responding to lucy, who said if she wanted decent Mexican food she had to make it at home.  I suggested Casa Romero to her for Mexican food, or at least that was my intention.  I didn't get the impression that she was talking about burritos when she was lamenting the lack of decent Mexican food in Boston.  Now, if you want good cannolis you have to go to Maria's - which is a bread shop in the North End. They'll fill them while you wait.  It doesn't get any fresher than that!
    Posted by ALF72[/QUOTE]

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

ah, you like super spicy food. I like heat, but not so much that I can't taste anything. Medium salsa is the hottest I can go.
    People are eating Qdoba because their queso sauce w/3 cheeses and peppers is delicious. But, it won't burn your mouth out or leave you so smelly that you can't go back to the office.

[QUOTE]Is there no longer a Herrera's cart in downtown crossing? WTehF are people eating Qdoba for? My mother and I both would drench Qdoba's burritos in hot sauce so we could taste something. It's definitely not me. Most Americans like bland food. I have to basically beg, forcing fake tears and everything, when I'm out for Indian for them to make it properly spicy like it would be in India. Most Mexican you get around here is super bland, unless you're in the right neighborhood.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

QUOTE]yes, Maria's is good, I also love Modern Pastry. A for a type of food that you can't find in Boston, it's BBQ and cornbread. The only good BBQ I've ever had in New England are those folks who will cater parties by rolling out the mobile smoker and cooking the pig whole. Which is great if you're having a party, but if it's just DH and I, we're out of luck.

I perfer Cafe Paradisio to Modern Pastry, but I think it's b/c of the ambiance and memories. :-)

There is a place in Somerville, I think, that has okay BBQ.  Dh and I used to get it delivered.  I think it's called Red Bones.  Not nearly as good as BBQ you get down South, but it's not bad.  There used to be a decent place in Portsmouth, NH, but they got crappy in the last year or so.  :-(  Very sad; we used to like going there. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

[QUOTE]ah, you like super spicy food. I like heat, but not so much that I can't taste anything. Medium salsa is the hottest I can go. People are eating Qdoba because their queso sauce w/3 cheeses and peppers is delicious. But, it won't burn your mouth out or leave you so smelly that you can't go back to the office.

If my nose doesn't run by the second bite, it's too mild for me.  The spicier the better.  I want to be sweating by the time I'm done w/ my burrito.  I like the super spicy sauce at Chipolte.  :-) 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

Red Bones and Blue Ribbon just make me sad, I find their pulled pork to be inconsistent, it's good somedays, not so great on others.
    You can get decent beef ribs at the Village Smokehouse or Sunset Cantina, but it's just not the same as good smokey barbequed pork.

I do like that Chipotle uses cilantro rice, just like Qdoba. Can you opt for brown rice at Chipotle? I often wished it were an option at more places.
    The main reason I don't get a regular burrito at Boloco is because their salsa is just way too mild, even for me. But I'm in love with their buffalo and cesar wraps!

[QUOTE]I perfer Cafe Paradisio to Modern Pastry, but I think it's b/c of the ambiance and memories. :-) There is a place in Somerville, I think, that has okay BBQ.  Dh and I used to get it delivered.  I think it's called Red Bones.  Not nearly as good as BBQ you get down South, but it's not bad.  There used to be a decent place in Portsmouth, NH, but they got crappy in the last year or so.  :-(  Very sad; we used to like going there. 
    Posted by ALF72[/QUOTE]

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

You guys are making me so hungry!!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from helphelpImbeingrepressed. Show helphelpImbeingrepressed's posts

I do like spicy food, but I'm not a heat freak. I just like my burritos to have some flavor going on. Chipotle does at least have a hot sauce that is actually hot, but their rice is blah like Qdoba's. Good spanish rice makes the difference.

As for BBQ, I'm a big fan of Uncle Pete's on Squire Rd. in Revere. Delish pulled pork. It's as good as anything I've ever had down south.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

Mmm I love the cilantro rice. The key with Chipotle is also ordering ALL the salsas. The corn is so good...but you gotta have the tomato too, and the hot. And then put the jalapeno tobasco on it.

Helphelp, for once we agree on something! Indian places never believe me when I tell them I want it hot. Its like they are afraid you'll sue them. Passage to India in Salem gets it right more than others. Yum.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from helphelpImbeingrepressed. Show helphelpImbeingrepressed's posts

We recently went back to Passage to India after an underwhelming first visit 3 years ago and I've been pleased. They make a fairly spicy vindaloo.

There used to be an *amazing* place in Winchester center that made a vindaloo that made me sweat. Unfortunately, it's another g-d italian restaurant now. Really, how many italian joints do we need in eastern MA? WTB more indian restaurants.