Babies at weddings

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Re: Babies at weddings

that-guy - I'm glad to know you don't keep your children in a restaurant when they are screaming (glad for the child, the other patrons, and you).  In that case, no one should need to interfere in your business!  I think the point of many people here is that when a parent DOES keep their screaming child in a restaurant (wedding, etc., etc.) some folks here may decide to say something to the parent. 

Once the actions of a person affect someone else's life, it's my belief that the affected person then has every right to respond.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ash. Show ash's posts

Ok, I think I need to take a break from these pages because I experienced something today and the very first thing I thought was "uh oh, my friends at boston.com would not like this and neither do I".

I was having lunch today at the Sherborn Inn (lovely place, good salad with goat cheese--I was wearing a green shirt if anyone else was there).  I noticed a smallish child (I'd say 2 or so) in the corner and my first thought was "mmmm, would I bring a little kid here?  I don't think there is even a kid's menu".  But whatever he was eating, he was quiet and well behaved and I sort of forgot about him until the family was leaving (parents and a younger sibling) and I saw him running across the floor between his parents--one at the table at the end of the dining room and one near my table near the door.  The mother clearly thought this was adorable because she let him run alone and was making encouraging sounds.  I thought it was really dangerous because the tables there are close together, it was busy and wait staff was carrying a lot of stuff around, including coffee pots.  So I guess I am not immune to noticing baddish behavior myselfEmbarassed

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

I thought of you all this morning when there was a screaming child on the T from Reservoir to Copley.  I wondered if everyone would know it was me when they saw the headline:  "Driven insane by screaming, Newton woman throws infant, self from Green Line."  Yell

I was actually just about to go move to the other car when they got off the train.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

LOL lucy!

On Friday afternoon I was on the T from Hynes to Park Street and it was packed and a kid was screaming the whole way. Just when I thought I was going to start crying myself the guy standing next to me said "Oh, I didn't know they had American Idol auditions on the T."
    Laughter is the best medicine.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Scorpio75. Show Scorpio75's posts

There was a crying kid at the Ash Wednesday Mass too. So much so that when the priest got up to give the homily the kid was crying the priest said, "Ahh come on I haven't even started, give me a chance before you cry".  Mostly as a humorous way to tell the parent to take the kid outside, they didn't.

This was the priest that married my DH and I so I know that what we in the congregation here is not what he hears when up on the alter.  In fact it has to be pretty loud for him to hear it on the alter.  Ugggg.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from that-guy. Show that-guy's posts

In Response to Re: Babies at weddings:
    I thought of you all this morning when there was a screaming child on the T from Reservoir to Copley.  I wondered if everyone would know it was me when they saw the headline:  "Driven insane by screaming, Newton woman throws infant, self from Green Line."  I was actually just about to go move to the other car when they got off the train.
    Posted by lucy7368

So you condone abusing a child for doing what comes naturally to them?  Your humor is pretty disgusting.  There are actually people out there who throw and hurt children.  I hope you never procreate.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Oh for Pete's sake.  Do you really think people say 'aww, he's just had a hard day and doing what comes naturally for babies' when they hear a child screeching on the T?  No. Most of the adults had hard days too and the last thing they want to do is listen to the kid screech for the next 20 minutes while they are trapped on the T w/ the child.  Do most of them fantasize about throwing the mom and kid off the T?  You betcha.  Do any of them do it?  Nope.  There is absolutely no child abuse in that scenario.  Don't minimize actual child abuse by comparing this to it. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

In Response to Re: Babies at weddings : So you condone abusing a child for doing what comes naturally to them?  Your humor is pretty disgusting.  There are actually people out there who throw and hurt children.  I hope you never procreate.
    Posted by that-guy

The kid was like 4.  Screaming for no apparent reason does not come naturally at that age.  It needed to shut the f*ck up, or the parents needed to take it out of the enclosed space. 

Also, I was referring to murdering a child rather than simply abusing it.  So, if you're going to get all up in arms and freaked out, at least do it for the right reason.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from that-guy. Show that-guy's posts

I love it.  So now you have to pull your kid out of the T for screaming because it's bothering other people?  The T - seriously?  You should have no expectation of a relaxing, quiet ride on the T.  Robberies, urination, drunk people shagging, kids fighting all happen on the T. A toddler crying isn't too far outside of that. Do any of you actually have kids? Because you're in for a huge wake-up call when/if you do.

Oh - and if I made a comment like "last night my wife would not shut up about X,Y,Z and kept blabbing on and on, I just wanted to slap the b_tch to make it stop", you would all be jumping in about how some people really hit their wives, it's abuse, and probably hit the tattle-button to report it to the forum police.  So, yeah, it's pretty stupid to be saying that you wanted to throw a child off a train.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

I don't know what trains you're riding on, but I have never experienced any of those things on the T.  I don't expect a quiet, relaxing ride during rush hour, but I also don't expect to arrive at work with a blinding headache that lasts all day, because some parent doesn't know how to shut up a four year-old.  If your child cannot behave in public, leave it at home.

P.S.  If your wife screamed at the top of her lungs for fifteen minutes, I hope you would slap her, because that's what you're supposed to do when someone is hysterical.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

I think what the worst part about this is, when some parents just let the child scream.  They have no regard for anyone around them.  They just figure that everyone else should be understanding as it is just a child.  Children scream.  Sorry, but not for nothing, not all of them will have tantrums at the tops of their lungs.  And, if it does happen in a public environment, take the child to another area to help calm it down.  Don't just sit at a restaurant, leaving your child to scream, and continue with your dinner.  Just as these same parents would be "disgusted and annoyed" by people around them having loud, drunk conversations that involve cursing "around their children" (how dare they?), then the same goes for those parents that need to help quiet their children down. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

I don't know what trains you're riding on, but I have never experienced any of those things on the T.  I don't expect a quiet, relaxing ride during rush hour, but I also don't expect to arrive at work with a blinding headache that lasts all day, because some parent doesn't know how to shut up a four year-old.  If your child cannot behave in public, leave it at home. P.S.  If your wife screamed at the top of her lungs for fifteen minutes, I hope you would slap her, because that's what you're supposed to do when someone is hysterical.
    Posted by lucy7368

Um, wow.....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from that-guy. Show that-guy's posts

Lucy - is this what you want to see people do when kids are crying?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twRJEs126VA

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

As much as screaming kids are annoying, I have to agree with that-guy...it isn't funny to joke about that kind of stuff. Kind of pathetic....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

If you can't understand the difference between wishing it were OK to do something and actually doing it, I can't help you.

And you don't have to think my jokes are funny.  I don't care.  I don't think Will Ferrell is funny, and you don't see that bothering him.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tgihal. Show tgihal's posts

omg
    a few things from the peanut gallery
    this is like the special olympics - you know everyone wins but you're still retarded

lucy, you slay me, you are very funny but why encourage him

and that guy, give us all a break, or set up your own subject heading, not fair to op

also for what it is worth i was so hypersensitive to annoying other patrons because for years before i had a child i was very annoyed by disruptive kids in any situation i do believe i caused my daughter some harm (not physical) by rushing or shushing her out of any fussy moments she had, i should have foudn a happy compromise

like you all should, on another board

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

I think what the worst part about this is, when some parents just let the child scream.  They have no regard for anyone around them.  They just figure that everyone else should be understanding as it is just a child.  Children scream.  Sorry, but not for nothing, not all of them will have tantrums at the tops of their lungs.  And, if it does happen in a public environment, take the child to another area to help calm it down.  Don't just sit at a restaurant, leaving your child to scream, and continue with your dinner.  Just as these same parents would be "disgusted and annoyed" by people around them having loud, drunk conversations that involve cursing "around their children" (how dare they?), then the same goes for those parents that need to help quiet their children down. 
    Posted by Goodness1

Well said Goodness.  It’s really is about the parenting.  I was once on a plane and sat next to a woman and her one year old who cried the.entire.flight.  But the mother was literally doing everything she could to console the baby, not just ignoring her.  I wasn’t mad or fantasizing about throwing this child or her mother off the plane because the poor woman was clearly doing everything she could and was overwhelmed.

Some of you are taking Lucy way too seriously.  Ever hear of dark humor?  Have you seen any of these movies:  Serial Mom, Raising Arizona, MASH, Heathers?  Do you think people who find these movies funny take them literally to mean that serial killers are funny, child kidnapping is funny, war is funny, teenage suicide is funny?  Lighten up.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Seriously, people freaking out on Lucy are a little sensitive. Like you've never said, "omg, that person is so annoying I want to kill them." 

Your inability to comprehend facetiousness is much more pathetic than Lucy's jokes. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

I do agree it's just a funny joke. I mean for God sakes, there is a Boost Mobile commercial right now where some kid is in a cage posing as a pet at the airport. Does that mean we should all cage our children?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

way to over react. you must be the same people who write angry letters to "Family Guy" and think it matters.
    I expect that from thatguy but, liz, I'm a little surprised.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from HaleyBee. Show HaleyBee's posts

Your wedding. Your guest list. Ayone who imposes an uninvited guest on a host is rude, and you should not feel obligated to cater to someone who is rude. 

An invitation is not a requirement. The recipient is free to decline. Her options are find a sitter or decline. Not your problem.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from HaleyBee. Show HaleyBee's posts

As much as screaming kids are annoying, I have to agree with that-guy...it isn't funny to joke about that kind of stuff. Kind of pathetic....
    Posted by lizinboston

The reason kids are so out of control nowadays is because parents do not discipline them. No one said beat the kid who is acting out. But there is nothing wrong with a simple spanking. Stop assuming because a parent disciplines their kid it is child abuse. That is ignorant thinking.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from that-guy. Show that-guy's posts

Hitting is abuse no matter how you spin it.  Discipline does not have to include hitting.  But when did the topic turn to spanking anyway?

Pink - no, I don't waste my time watching cartoons.  I leave that for the rest of the blithering idiots in our society.  I waste a little bit of time coming here just to talk with you.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

Okay ladies.  I’ve grown bored with this sad little man who clearly uses these boards solely to assert himself since he obviously is unable to do it in real life.  I am now utilizing my ignore button.  It would be most effective if we all do it…you ladies in?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Sure, no problem.  Consider him "ignored" on my end.

Sections
Shortcuts