BDC gathering - Poll late June/early Fall

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from LindaO1MrsO1. Show LindaO1MrsO1's posts

BDC gathering - Poll late June/early Fall

Just prior to the next new series of the "BDC.com/Weddings"site, I posted a question regarding whether we could plan another BDC/Weddings gathering?
    Fortunately, I created a separate document with the posters who would like to get together.  I had hoped we could get together in mid-May or early June.  Due to a number of personal commitments, I was unable to f/u on the gathering
    Since there are only two weeks before summer begins, I'm not sure we can "pull it off" now.  What about mid-September?  Most will back at the "old grind" and could use some some fun times, laughs and repartee.
    I personally think mid-September would be more fun. But, wanted to check with all of you.  Cosmogirl, kargiver, etc., I will need some suggestions regarding sites for the gathering.  Although, I live in Albany, NY, both my sons have lived in the Boston area.  And, one has many ties in Boston restaurant scene.  I will send this separately to those who replied initially.
    Thanks for all your assistance and feedback.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

Re: BDC gathering - Poll late June/early Fall

Well, I am fairly new, but would definitely be up for it!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

I'm game for late June, early fall or even July/August. :-) Definetly want to meet you Sept, you seem like fun. and Kar, you're just so sweet so i hope you can come. It's fun when we get together, we call each other by our sn rather than our real names and the waiter tends to look at us funny, as do the other people in the restaurant.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

Haha, well people on here call me Liz...so I guess I won't feel weird and be like hey my name is Sept. Like "hi, my name is Sept, that's short for Septic tank...."

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

[QUOTE]I'm game for late June, early fall or even July/August. :-) Definetly want to meet you Sept, you seem like fun. and Kar, you're just so sweet so i hope you can come. It's fun when we get together, we call each other by our sn rather than our real names and the waiter tends to look at us funny, as do the other people in the restaurant.
    Posted by NorthernLghts[/QUOTE]

That's funny.  I have a friend that I have known for ten years, who still addresses me by the screen name I used when I first met him.  Sometimes, I have to stop. "Angel?  That's a little personal.... oh."

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

In response to the original question, I can show up just about anywhere as long as I have 24 hours notice.  It would be nice to do it now, but there's no reason I couldn't wait until August or September. 

What can I say?  I'm easy.  ;)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]I'm game for late June, early fall or even July/August. :-) Definetly want to meet you Sept, you seem like fun. and Kar, you're just so sweet so i hope you can come. It's fun when we get together, we call each other by our sn rather than our real names and the waiter tends to look at us funny, as do the other people in the restaurant.

Northern, you're so nice to ask me personally to come (and others who have done the same).  But, I just have to respect my DH's fears about such things and decline, unfortunately.  I'd absolutely be there if it were just up to me.  I'd love to hang with such a great group of gals, and I don't share his concerns in this case.  But, I know he loves me and all he can picture is me on a Dateline show about the dangers of the Evil Internet.  He's so old fashioned he wishes the world were still internet- and cell phone-free.

Have a great time, friends!!

~kar

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Why don't you bring him, Kar?  He can protect you from any weird Internet ladies. :-) 

I'm game depending on when and where. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

I'm for it!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]Why don't you bring him, Kar?  He can protect you from any weird Internet ladies. :-)  I'm game depending on when and where. 
    Posted by ALF72[/QUOTE]

LOL, ALF! 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

Kar, I would love to be on Dateline, but not for anything like that!!! For saving a child or a hurt puppy or something! :)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

you totally should kar. he can sit at the bar and we can hang out. :-)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]you totally should kar. he can sit at the bar and we can hang out. :-)

We're such opposites on this - he's a total homebody.  I'm a housewife and love going out.  He works his buttocks off "out there" and looks forward to being home.  Maybe I make our home a little too comfortable, I guess!  ;)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

well then he's just one lucky guy isn't he? Smile

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tibird. Show tibird's posts

I'm in, pretty much anywhere is good for me... train access is a plus though.  June is a rough time for me, but if that works for everyone else I'll do my best!

Kar - we'll miss you!  If memory serves, you aren't near Boston, right?  Otherwise you could maybe "suggest" a dinner out, walk into the place and whoa... there's a bunch of girls there talking wedding stuff!  :)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

LOL Ti, that is great!! If we could do Sept/Oct that would be fantastic. I am literally in 2 weddings this summer, and have 3 more to go to, so with the showers, bach parties, rehearsals, traveling, etc I am a busy bee this summer! If not, I may have to sit this one out.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

speaking on behalf of the attendees at two of our gatherings -- the Allston Depot and the place in Newton....there were no robberies, scams, etc. and no one got stuck with a big check!

It is SO much fun connecting the names and faces.  There is nothing to fear. 

kar, I guess I can understand your DH's concerns (well, I really can't but I'm being polite) but a reasonable compromise would be for him to come, bring a friend, and sit at the bar.  No way should you miss a good time if you want to come.

That said, if you (or any one) would personally prefer not to come, of course, nothing wrong with that. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]I'm in, pretty much anywhere is good for me... train access is a plus though.  June is a rough time for me, but if that works for everyone else I'll do my best! Kar - we'll miss you!  If memory serves, you aren't near Boston, right?  Otherwise you could maybe "suggest" a dinner out, walk into the place and whoa... there's a bunch of girls there talking wedding stuff!  :)
    Posted by tibird[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'd pretend to recognize you and say, "Hey, Tibird!"  He'd be thinking, "What kind of name is that?" 

Sadly, I can't just "happen in", though, 'cause you're right, I live about 70 miles away, out by the Quabbin Reservoir.  140 miles round trip is kind of a lot for a DH who isn't keen on the idea at all.

Northern, he does have it good, but I'm pretty spoiled myself.  And, I do get together with friends he knows.  He doesn't keep me chained to the radiator. :)  He has a fear of technology and everything about it - I can't say I identify, but I respect him.  2009 isn't his time.  He'd have been happy to have been a knight at the Round Table with a sword being the only piece of technology hanging from his belt.

~kar

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from somethingold. Show somethingold's posts

Depending on time and place I'd like to be a part of the party.
    No preference except I expect to arrive a little later coming in during the work week from a neighboring state and all.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

[QUOTE]We're such opposites on this - he's a total homebody .  I'm a housewife and love going out.  He works his buttocks off "out there" and looks forward to being home.  Maybe I make our home a little too comfortable, I guess!  ;)
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

Kar, I hope this question does not offend you in any way...

What is it like to be a housewife. Sometimes I just want to quite my job and stay at home. But then I think I would get so bored and go out and shop myself into debt. What are your days like? And please, you do not have to answer if I have offended you. :) I think that when FI have kids...not for a long time...at least 6 year from now...I would like to stay home with them for a couple of years.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Ohh Kar, I second Liz's question! (if it doesn't offend you, I mean) I think about this a lot--I, personally, do not understand how people can work in offices for 30+ years and not kill themselves. That's overly dramatic, but a career is just not something I care about; work is just a fiercely wretched place I endure between evenings and weekends and I could think of a million things to do if I didn't have to work.

FI keeps saying, "quit your job!" but that isn't realistic because we need the money. When we have kids (not soon!), I hope we're in a position where I can stay home with them.

I know there are people who love their careers and feel like work is a major priority (and I feel like, in some ways, the feminist revolution pressures you to feel that way...) but going to work depresses me.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

[QUOTE]Kar, I hope this question does not offend you in any way... What is it like to be a housewife. Sometimes I just want to quite my job and stay at home. But then I think I would get so bored and go out and shop myself into debt. What are your days like? And please, you do not have to answer if I have offended you. :) I think that when FI have kids...not for a long time...at least 6 year from now...I would like to stay home with them for a couple of years.
    Posted by Sept2010Bride[/QUOTE]

I'm currently in the same boat as kar, except I'm dying to get back to work. I ended up quitting b/c my office was too far away for me to commute and we aren't going to be in our current location long enough to make it worthwhile to me to deal w/ licensing issues in another state.  It's nice to be a housewife while the weather is nice b/c you can break up your day w/ a walk in the park.  We live in an absolutely gorgeous location and I can walk in the park by the beach everyday that the weather permits.  I am also a neat freak, so having a super clean house is something that appeals to me. I am also one of "those" people who finds cleaning relaxing, although I will admit I hate ironing w/ a passion.  We are also lucky in that we do not need a second salary.  I know that in this economy, that's not an easy thing to say.   

However, if you are someone who likes to work [even in you don't like your current job], being a housewife [with no kids] is for the birds, or at least for me it is [not implying that kar doesn't like to work].  I've been home for a year and had I not been laid up w/ an injury over the winter that made it impossible for me to do much of anything for about 4-5 months, I would have gone stir crazy. I was used to working at least 50 hours a week [getting home from work around 7.30 was early; typically, I wouldn't leave the office till them] and I LOVED my job.  I  thrive on stress and being around other people.  I love my cat, but he's not the most scintillating conversationalist.  I cannot wait till we move in the fall so that I can go back to work.   

I fill my time w/ volunteering, cleaning, plotting my eventual job search [we're waiting to learn where we are moving to; hopefully we'll know by July so I can begin an actual job search], exercising, reading, wasting time online, etc. I took some painting classes and take a couple of exercise classes as well.  Having free time is nice, but honestly, I enjoy working more. I think you enjoy your free time more when you have less of it.  From what she's posted, kar loves it.  I don't hate it, but would like to be more productive.  I spent alot of time and money to go to school and I'd like to resume my career.  If we had kids, I don't think I'd be as bored.  Fortunately, I don't like to shop, so I don't have to worry about shopping us into debt.  Which is a good thing b/c we are less than 10 minutes away from the Kittery outlets.  :-)   If we owned our house, I may not be as bored b/c I could paint, do repairs and landscaping, but we rent, so that's not really an option. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

Hmm interesting Alf...like yourself, FI and I are very lucky in that we don't need two incomes, which is very fortunate in an ecomony like this, and at such a young age, but FI went into a career that is a certain skill and basically will always be booming. I on the other hand work in HR and love it, but would like to take a couple of years off to work on our house. We bought a fixer-upper a year ago, and it is not in bad shape, but it needs painting, and I REALLY want to get a garden going, etc.

I think none of this would ever happen until we have kids though, I am afraid a lot of people would frown upon a 26 yo woman staying home.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Liz, do what is right for you, not other people.  Alot of people frown on an able bodied 36 yo woman w/ no kids staying home [me], but I can't worry about what they think.  Besides, even if you do stay home w/ kids, someone is going to fault you for staying home with them. If you go back to work after you have them, someone is going to fault you for that too.  Women are darned if they do and darmed if they don't, so do whatever makes you happy. :-) 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

[QUOTE]Liz, do what is right for you, not other people.  Alot of people frown on an able bodied 36 yo woman w/ no kids staying home [me], but I can't worry about what they think.  Besides, even if you do stay home w/ kids, someone is going to fault you for staying home with them. If you go back to work after you have them, someone is going to fault you for that too.  Women are darned if they do and darmed if they don't, so do whatever makes you happy. :-) 
    Posted by ALF72[/QUOTE]

Alf, you're right. One of my 'flaws' is that I always worry about what other people think. I am working on that though.
    Oh, and don't eat the cat!! I've been wanting to say that to you for awhile! haha :)

Sections
Shortcuts