Black to a wedding?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Neena101511. Show Neena101511's posts

Black to a wedding?

Hi all! I havent been to a wedding as a guest since I was about 8, but I'm supposed to go to one next friday and I'm wondering is it impolite to wear black? It's a Friday wedding, the ceremony is at 2pm and reception is at 4 at a nice restaurant... For everyday wear I rarley wear black (i dont even own a lbd...) But I don't want to show up in a kelly green dress and stick out like a sore thumb at the wedding. I'm just not sure if Black is "appropriate" to wear.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Re: Black to a wedding?

Some would say black isn't appropriate for a wedding, but I think that's an outdated "rule".  I do try to avoid it when possible, but have worn black to weddings a couple of times.  Nothing wrong with a kelly green dress though!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

I think black is fine for a wedding.  I've heard all these "faux pas" about not wearing white, black, or red as to not stick out, but I don't know.  I wouldn't wear white, but I don't really understand the issue with red or black. 

In my head, when all else fails, I wear black to a wedding. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Scorpio75. Show Scorpio75's posts

It is ok to wear black to a wedding but for my personal preference I wouldn't wear black to a wedding.  I say wear the kelly green dress, I think it would be fine especially since it is an afternoon wedding and reception.  I think it is a great choice actually.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Prill. Show Prill's posts

Black is fine these days - especially if you can accesorize it with something fabulous (or brightly colored). The only "rule" that I go by is not to wear white to a wedding.

ETE - As others have said though, the kelly green sounds great, especially for an afternoon, summer wedding.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

Black is fine.  My reception was from noon-5pm and several people wore black but I wouldn't say that they stuck out.

Goodness - I had never heard that about red before until my mom mentioned it.  She said it is not polite to wear red because it is a bold and sexy color to wear and you're not supposed to take the focus away from the bride.  I don't really think its a big deal, unless it was a Jessica Rabbit red dress.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

It's an old rule that one shouldn't wear red white or black to a wedding.

I think you can wear black, but remember that it is a popular bridesmaid dress color these days.
    Personally I'd go with the green dress, I'm a big fan of color, but it's perfectly fine to wear black.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

In Response to Re: Black to a wedding?:
    Black is fine.  My reception was from noon-5pm and several people wore black but I wouldn't say that they stuck out. Goodness - I had never heard that about red before until my mom mentioned it.  She said it is not polite to wear red because it is a bold and sexy color to wear and you're not supposed to take the focus away from the bride.  I don't really think its a big deal, unless it was a Jessica Rabbit red dress.
    Posted by dkb6248

I actually first heard of not wearing red from these boards.  For the most part, I'll wear a dress that's appropriate for a wedding.  If it's a daytime Summer wedding, I'll wear something Summer-y (a nice color that's not too bright).  I've been going to a lot of black-tie optional weddings in the last few years, and my go-to dress has been in the LBD.  I did wear a black cocktail dress with an ivory sash at wedding a couple years ago, and it was fine.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I don't think wearing black is a faux pas for wedding attire.  However, this is an afternoon summer wedding - I'd definitely wear something summery and NOT black.  You can bring a splash of color to the festivities and to yourself - why drab black?  If you wore a black sundress with a bright shawl (fuscia?), accessories, and colored sandles that would be nice if you have a dress in your closet already that you want to wear.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ilovebeagles. Show ilovebeagles's posts

I wear black all the time - I love my LBD and I do always accessorize it with bright accessories. My fave combo is my layered gold necklace and my bright pink clutch.

At my wedding, a lot of girls wore black dresses. Some with a bright sash, others with bright bracelets. One girl had on the sharpest black dress. It was boat-neckline that was completely covered in black onyx beads, and it had a matching belt.
    I loved it.
    My bridesmaids also wore black, lol, so I like black dresses.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

If wearing black to a wedding is faux pas than I have broken the rule about a thousand times! Like yourself, beagles, I have this hot pink clutch that I LOVE and I always carry that with my black dresses. I also try to wear colorful jewelry.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

I do the same thing.  I'll wear a LBD, and wear really bold jewelry or a cool purse and/or shoes.  There are so many ways to jazz up and outfit that might be too basic.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ashmama. Show ashmama's posts

Black is fine, but it might be a bit hot for a summer wedding. I'd go with the kelly green. So what if no one else is wearing that color? There will be other women in colors no one else is wearing, too. But if you do want to wear black, just accessorize it with bright shoes, a bag or some kind of wrap. I wore a LBD to a very conservative wedding in the south a couple of years ago, but had a teal shawl to deal with the over airconditioned buildings, and I was one of maybe 15 women wearing black.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Neena101511. Show Neena101511's posts

I love color to Pink, especially Green so I thought my kelly green dress would be perfect. But I wasn't sure because it's and afternood ceremony with an evening reception, if that made it more of a formal event. In wich case I think my green dress would still be okay, but for the time of day I just wasn't sure if it would be to loud.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

As long as it isn't neon, then it's not too loud, IMO :)
    I'll bet most people will be going for color for an afternoon to evening wedding, lots of floral patterns, so I wouldn't worry about sticking out.
    That's ironically the idea behind "don't wear red white or black", the thinking is that they'll make you stick out. of course, nowadays, those colors have become neutrals.

I love color to Pink, especially Green so I thought my kelly green dress would be perfect. But I wasn't sure because it's and afternood ceremony with an evening reception, if that made it more of a formal event. In wich case I think my green dress would still be okay, but for the time of day I just wasn't sure if it would be to loud.
    Posted by Neena101511

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Neena101511. Show Neena101511's posts

Your right! I guess when that was the norm everyone just wore pastels...J/K Thanks though I appreciate everyone's advice :)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

I wear black all the time.  It's slimming, I never have to worry about if I match, and it doesn't show minor coffee spillages. 

What I can't figure out is - why would anyone wear anything else? Undecided

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

My cat is mostly white. Black clothes end up just covered in cat hair no matter what.
    I keep a few black pieces like jacket and trousers, but every thing else is gray or colored or patterned. That hides cat hair better.

I wear black all the time.  It's slimming, I never have to worry about if I match, and it doesn't show minor coffee spillages.  What I can't figure out is - why would anyone wear anything else?
    Posted by lucy7368

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from sunshinemrs. Show sunshinemrs's posts

In our family, black is standard for wedding attire.

But you certainly won't stand out if you decide to go for color, especially in the summer.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tibird. Show tibird's posts

I think black is fine, although I agree w/ others that you'd be fine in the green too.
    I've never thought twice about black to a wedding, and lot of people came that way to mine.  I joked that our group photo looked like it was a funeral!  It was great to have some people there in bright colors.  When my aunt was suggesting a slimming black dress for my mom (who was walking me down the aisle) we drew the line :) Mom didn't want to look like she was in mourning!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Manner15. Show Manner15's posts

Black is the most popular color to wear. However, you can wear neon orange if you want. As long as you dress to the code (formal, casual, etc) of the wedding, you are fine.

Sections
Shortcuts