Bridal shower dilemma

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kinga9. Show kinga9's posts

Re: Bridal shower dilemma

In Response to Re: Bridal shower dilemma:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bridal shower dilemma : In that vein, you could wrap your gift in tinfoil and include the rest of the box as one of your presents.  Or saran wrap. 
    Posted by poppy609[/QUOTE]
    Ironica that you say saran wrap...I've been invited to a few showers where they ask you to wrap the gift in clear plastic wrap. You still have the bride (or mother-to-be) sit up front and "open" her gifts, but it goes much quicker with far less waste to clean up.
    I don't think it's a matter of being "green" but more to speed up the process of opening the gifts. Someone (Paul-something or other?) mentioned the element of surprise being gone since the bride hand-picked most things anyways...I agree it's a pretend surprise game that the bride is expected to play, but at least with clear wrap the game is cut down a bit in time.
    In the generalized nature of women complaining about showers, both bridal and baby, isn't the gift opening part the part we most complain about? (I'm assuming that other women are like me and when you've been to 40+ showers in your short life, you start to have some ground to complain on). I would rather spend my time WITH the bride or mom-to-be than watch her from afar opening presents.
    And in response to the original poster, I agree with everyone else...go, smile, and be the best SIL you can be.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

I know i'm horribly old fashioned, but I find it very rude to be told how to bring my gift to a shower.  If you want to be "green" then don't have a shower at all. And what's with the "no paper, only bows"?  That's not "green" either.
    I'm just not a huge fan of bossy brides.  Be grateful people are being generous enough to buy you a shower gift and stop telling them what to do.
    (rant over!)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leila32. Show Leila32's posts

misslily - Usually brides don't throw themselves a shower, so perhaps it is the host that is making that request?

I don't think it would bother me...they are probably thinking green or don't want to deal with the waste.  Personally, I hate showers and didn't have one myself, so anything that would make them get over faster is okay in my book.

On another note, my MIL makes cloth gift bags that she reuses for birthdays, Christmas, etc.  They are so cute and can be washed and reused. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

misslily, good to see you!  I agree.  I think demands about gifts are rude.  True graciousness and gratefulness are on their way out if they haven't left the building already.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Are there ANY brides who throw themselves a shower?  Hope not! :)  If it came from the host I think that's even worse.  Now we're being told what to do with our presents by someone who isn't even the recipient? I suppose taking out a trash bag of discarded wrapping paper will be a huge inconvenience for someone who must be washing and ironing her cloth napkins for this event.  She is using cloth napkins, isn't she?  Because paper is sooo wasteful.

I'm kidding, of course.  But really - the fewer directives the better.  It's like having to address your own TY note - doesn't seem like a big deal, but people find it really distasteful.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SAW73. Show SAW73's posts

Thanks for all the comments.  I don't this is being "green" since the couple are not pro-environment.  The request was printed on the invitation along with her registry information, so I guess it is the hosts' idea or a parent's suggestion.  I have been directed to include the bow, so I expect the traditional bow breaking ceremony or someone has deemed the bow bouquet a requirement for the rehersal. 

I have no idea how much bridal participation has been involved in the shower planning since I know few details about the wedding.  Any information about the wedding has been told to my DH, when I am not in the room.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leila32. Show Leila32's posts

In Response to Re: Bridal shower dilemma:
    [QUOTE]Are there ANY brides who throw themselves a shower?  Hope not! :)  If it came from the host I think that's even worse.  Now we're being told what to do with our presents by someone who isn't even the recipient? I suppose taking out a trash bag of discarded wrapping paper will be a huge inconvenience for someone who must be washing and ironing her cloth napkins for this event.  She is using cloth napkins, isn't she?  Because paper is sooo wasteful. I'm kidding, of course.  But really - the fewer directives the better.  It's like having to address your own TY note - doesn't seem like a big deal, but people find it really distasteful.
    Posted by misslily[/QUOTE]

I only said that because you referred to the “bossy bride.”  I get what you’re saying...I suppose if I went to showers often and they all came with strings attached it would get annoying.  I think they are excessive in general...you’re having one wedding, why do your guests have to get you 2 gifts?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SAW73. Show SAW73's posts

Okay, finally decided what to get for a present.  We got a big gift on sale more then 75% off!  So I am going to buy accessories to go with it which will require containment. 

Any objections to clear cellophane with a bow?  If the no wrapping is intended to prevent have to watch present unwrapping, I think this would still be in the spirit of the request.  I thought about a basket, but I would rather by more accessories. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

If they are gracious people nothing you can do regarding the presentation of your thoughtful gift will be wrong.  If you peeve anyone there, shame on them.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

helpful hint:  keep clear cellophane (saran wrap, etc.) stored in the refrigerator...that way it dosent stick together when you're trying to use it...

i got that hint back in college back in the early 80's...works wonders!

Sections
Shortcuts