Buying Registry Items at a Different Store

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

Buying Registry Items at a Different Store

My friend is registered at Macy's, but I just saw some of the pieces she's registered for at Home Goods.  (accessories/serving dishes for her casual china pattern).

Can I call Macy's and tell them to mark things as purchased?  Will they do that?

I don't want to cause any hassle for the bride who I love dearly, but it would really make me cry to spend $119.99 on something I can buy for $29.99. 

boo hoo! 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gonzo130. Show Gonzo130's posts

Re: Buying Registry Items at a Different Store

I doubt Macy's would take them off for you but it seems silly to pay more than you have to, as long as you are absolutely sure they are the same things.  The manufacturer may have made some changes to the pattern, for example, which may be why it was at Home Goods.  If you give it to the couple soon, you can always tell her that you didn't get it at Macy's so she may want to take it off her registry.  If she gets a duplicate, she can always return the second set to Macy's (I assume they would take it back, but you may want to check that too.)   No reason to waste money on something you can get cheaper.  I'd buy it and just let her know.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

What is the item that is so different in price, cos?  I paid $279 for something at Williams Sonoma that I thought I found at Bed Bath and Beyond an hour later for $100.  It looked VERY similar, and I was about to return what I'd bought, but on much closer inspection and upon talking with the manager, I found it was, in fact, much less of a pan.  I kept what I had.

I understand HG can sell things more cheaply than Macy's, but be careful!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

I've done this before and the store marked the registry for me. What's the difference if it's the same thing? You get her something nice, pay less for it, and all she knows is that she got a lovely gift. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from allreadymarried. Show allreadymarried's posts

My only concern is the pattern may be "dimmer" or lighter in color.  You might notice the difference when with the pieces bought in Macy's.
    Is it that big of a deal........  depends on the person. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Buy it at Home Goods, say nothing, call it a day. Don't bother calling Macy's. It's unnecessary and I doubt they'd change the registry anyway. 

If you are that worried about it, get a gift receipt at Home Goods and give it along w/ the gift. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

They could be seconds, like another poster said, with a problem with the color, shape, whatever.  Price differences that big are usually too good to be true, but not always...  I don't know what to tell you other than I'd be concerned myself.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

For that much of a price difference, it probably is seconds. However, you should be able to tell by looking at it if it's a huge difference.  If it's not, or it's more like the kind of thing you'd notice only if you held one dish up to the other one and squinted, I wouldn't worry too much about it.  Just include the gift receipt in the box and if the bride wants to be picky and return it to Home Goods, let her. You don't need to know about it. :-)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

But who can really tell the difference? I got an enameled cast-iron 9" Cuisinart grill pan from TJMaxx for $19. My friend has one she bought at full price. If you were to put the two side-by-side, you'd be hard-presssed to name the one that was 50% off.

Sometimes HomeGoods, TJMaxx, etc. buy items that department stores or boutiques ordered too many of. They're not necessarily cast-offs or second-rate.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Macy's generally has excellent customer service.  I wouldn't be surprised if they do it for you.  It's easier for them to update the registry now and avoid a return later if she ends up getting duplicates.

I would just call them and say "My friend is registered with you, and I bought one of her items, and I was wondering if you could update the registry." I wouldn't even  tell them I bought it somewhere else unless they specifically asked.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from wendy98. Show wendy98's posts

I like Lucy's suggestion.  And I agree with Pink about the stuff at TJMaxx, we bought a stainless steel air tight canister at TJMAxx and then we to the next store, it could have been Target or BBB we went shopping a lot that day and found the same canister (same manufacture same label same size) for twice the price.  I just assumed that TJMaxx bought the "rest" of some store that went out of business's stuff.

Also at TJMaxx and the like I often only find a handfull of the same items or just one of something, I think that they buy the stock from other stores that only have a handful of items but want the shelf space for something else.  So just because it ends up at a TJMaxx or HG type place there may be nothing wrong with it, but there may be, so I always go over the pieces that I buy there with a magnifying glass.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Personally, I'd go ahead and buy it and not give it a second thought.  Include the gift receipt in the card.  I had absolutely no problem returning items from my registries, so even if she receives it from someone else from Macy's, she should be able to return it the one purchased at Macy's.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

She chose a Lenox casual china pattern, and I saw a couple of serving bowls and a few other things.  I wouldn't buy an actual place setting in case of a little color variation but I figured some accessory pieces wouldn't matter.

I'm not trying to be a cheapskate.  If you were the bride, would you care?

The bride is a very down-to-earth, middle class, not a princess kind of gal. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

If I were the bride, I'd want you to buy the bargain dish. Few things feel as good as giving a gift, nothing feels as good as knowing you got a great deal on great gift. ;)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Cosmo, if I were the bride, I wouldn't care.  In fact, I wouldn't notice unless the place setting were red and the accessory was pink.  I'm not the sort to start holding things up to the light.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from wendy98. Show wendy98's posts

I wouldn't notice either and go for the bargain.  Of course I am the girl that shops the clearance section first because if I can find what will meet my needs a discounted price then why look at the full priced stuff right?  (I must admit that when watching Color Splash and David Bromstad said basically the same thing I melted a bit, and then my DH said to me holy sh!t you two shop the same way, which made me giggle.)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

I agree, go for it!  If it is serving pieces (like platters and serving dishes), she might even appreciate having extras (if Macy's won't mark it off the registry).  I know I can always use more of those pieces!  I'm a bargain shopper too, so I wouldn't care if I knew someone bought it at TJ Maxx.  My sister actually had a really big serving platter for her china pattern and about a year after the wedding, she broke it while washing it!  It was like a $150 plate, so she was NOT happy!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

wendy- Me too! I always check the discount stores, sale sections and online before I buy anything full-price. Exceptions: food and haircuts.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

If I were the bride, I wouldn't find it negative at all.  I'd be thrilled!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

pinkkittie - lol, but I even check the day-old produce and bakery racks at the store.  (Sometimes it's perfectly fine if you intend to use it right away...)

I really love TJs and Marshalls.  I really do wonder sometimes who walks into Macy's and buys clothes at the regular price.  I would have to REALLY, REALLY, REALLY love something.  Even my wedding gown was 50% off!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

PK - I don't even pay full price for my haircuts.  I tell the stylist not to blowdry or style, which saves me $25.  Cool

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

cosmo- that's so true! I don't think we ever had anything but "next day" bagels that my house growing up. I like to buy that bread and make garlic bread or stuffing with it occasionally! :)

lucy- I luck out because w/my very short hair styling is almost always included, but if my hair were longer I'd certainly skip the styling. I do dye my hair at home, though. That saves a lot of money. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

wendy98 - "I wouldn't notice either and go for the bargain.  Of course I am the girl that shops the clearance section first because if I can find what will meet my needs a discounted price then why look at the full priced stuff right?  (I must admit that when watching Color Splash and David Bromstad said basically the same thing I melted a bit, and then my DH said to me holy sh!t you two shop the same way, which made me giggle.)"

Me too!!!!  Except first I pretend to look at some other racks... and them make my way to the clearance...

P.S. Still no reply button??

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

With that large price difference, it has to be seconds. But who cares, if it is only serving dishes. Besides one never have enough of those.
    Turn the plate/dish around. If it is a "second" - it should have one or two scratch marks in the glaze on top of the logo.  The more scratch marks, the more "second" it is.
    Sometimes the mistakes are so tiny you and I will not be able to find them, but the goods cannot be sold as "perfect".
    Personally, I would not care if I was given a "second", as long as it was not - as Lucy said - pink instead of red.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

Stores want you to lock in to everything from a registry being bought there and nowhere else.

I buy an item elsewhere after seeing it on a store registry,  if it is substantially cheaper elsewhere.

A few times I have clipped a note to a gift receipt saying-  since I was shopping at ---- I bought there - If you get a duplicate, it was near the same price as registry store, so exchange either one.  - or - It was substantially below registry store, so return that one and get a bigger credit.

Registries are a tool, not an end in themselves.  Buy discount.

Sections
Shortcuts