Buying Registry Items at a Different Store

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

Re: Buying Registry Items at a Different Store

Actually, pingo,  even with a price difference, they are not always seconds.

Some stores have a huge mark-up on certain things,  with Macy's,  many home depts.  when not on sale.  Other stores use wedding gift type stuff as their loss leaders,   and keep them to a minimum.

Example- recently for a shower gift, a friend had indicated on Amazon registry she wanted a wedding and classical music good for processionals, etc,  album  from the Canadian Brass. 

The Amazon price on the registry, in the store too, was 27.99.  All other Canadian Brass albums, 13.99.   But the Canadian Brass website,  and  CD Baby,  sell every Canadian Brass 1 disk album for 13.99, including the wedding one.

Amazon really jacks up the price of wedding registry type items.

Macy's is great when they have an item you cannot find elsewhere.  But the sheets made by Garnet Hill here in NH cost 40% more than at Garnet Hill's own store.  Within Garnet Hill, their factory seconds are an additional 25% off  the lower Garnet Hill price.

So when I see them at B,B, and Beyond  for 25% less than Macy's but still 15% more than the first quality at the  Garnet Hill Store,  I do not think they are seconds.
          Fieldcrest Items and China  and crystal  vary wildly for first quality, too. 

When Shreve, Crump and Lowe  was it's real self and not the weird place it is now,  Macy's was almost as pricey for the crystal, silver plate, etc.  And Jordan Marsh and Filenes  which existed still (barely)  were always at least 30% less.

I miss the real downtown Jordan's and Filenes  still.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

When it's 30% off, I agree with Wag.  When it's 75% off I agree with Pingo.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

30% or 70%, who cares?  Honestly, unless you are buying really top of the line stuff [heirloom quality- ie, Spode, Lalique] then it doesn't matter.  Go for the bargain priced item and put the savings in the bank.  I mean, I love my Lenox wedding china, but it's not going to really matter in the long run if there is a tiny flaw in it.  :-)  It's pretty and I use it every chance I get, but it's not Lalique quality. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

Anything like 75% off, it is either defective or counterfeit.   That falls under the- if it is too good to be true -  dictum.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

That's what I'm saying, exactly.  The 30% off tells me it's probably first quality, same thing, just without the department store markup.  75% off tells me buyer beware.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

I agree with you, kar, in general, but the markup on fine china is HUGE and it can be totally possible to get first quality at huge discounts.  The list price for our Lenox fine china set at Macys' is $172 for the 5-piece place setting.  Add $80 for the soup bowl, and the setting is over $250--yikes! 

For this reason, we didn't register at Macy's for fine china.  We registered locally with Joseph Gann Jewelers.  Our place settings were around $120 a piece INCLUDING the soup bowl at Joseph Gann.  This was the best "everyday" price I have ever seen for the set, and we did a lot of comparison shopping.

In the end, though, we found an even better deal. We managed to buy the 5-piece settings at Bloomingdales for $61.56 each.  We added in the soup bowls too at $27.80 a piece.  Total per 6-piece setting: $90.  The EXACT same pattern, shipped directly from the Bloomingdale's warehouse--not seconds, not discontinued, not leftovers.  How?  We stacked up several coupons and discounts at once, with the help of a very smart saleslady who knew exactly which day to book the sale so that we could get the maximum discount.

...the moral of this story: don't pay full list price for fine china.  At least not lenox patterns!

To Cosmo--if the quality of the homegoods pieces looks fine, go for it!  We got several serving pieces from an outlet store as a gift.  They were seconds, but the flaws were almost impossible to detect. We stared at them for a while to find them.  I wouldn't hesitate to use it whenever I take out the fine china.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

Well, by the time I went back to Home Goods, the stuff was sold out!  But I did go to BB+B yesterday.  With the 20% off coupon, I paid $47 for a large serving platter.  It cost $100 at Macy's.

I bought the platter because I figured you can always use more than one if Macy's won't take it off the registry.  Or she can return it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good deal!  She'll love it, cos, and I know she won't return it especially if she plans to have 4 or more for dinner now and again.  I use 2 platters every time, and could use 3 if I had them.  And, they nest in the cupboard so no space worries to have 2 or 3.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

A registry is really only a suggestion anyway, isn't it? I got some great gifts that weren't on my registry. And platters are like towels: you can never have too many.

The only things I wouldn't buy if they weren't on the registry are appliances. I didn't put a crock pot on my registry because we already have one, but DH's aunt got us one anyway (after asking MIL if we had one, who informed her that we did). 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Absolutely, WPP, they are suggestions meant to help guests, not dictate the only things people are to buy for them.

In the case of place settings, though, it's practically a necessity so the couple tends to get what they need instead of 15 salad bowls and 1 dinner plate, or, worse, a number of different pieces from different patterns.  Serving dishes aren't so important.  You can enjoy and use 3 of the same platter or serving bowls even if you registered for 1 each.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ash. Show ash's posts

Not sure if you already took care of this, cos, but just thought I'd check in and say that as long as the items are the same--same brand, same everything except the price, I think its ok to purchase them from somewhere else and let Macy's know that they were purchased.  When I got married (now going on a million years ago) before you could do all this on the internet, it was really common to register at JM and Filene's and then people would buy stuff at Ross Simon which had no registry, but was half the price, and then let the registry store know that the stuff had been purchased. 

I think I'd still plan on spending what I was originally going to spend, though. 

P.S.  Did you comment on love letters yesterday?  I didn't have time to wade through the 300 plus letters of vitriole to see who commented.  I usually love your comments (as usuals ;-)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from downtoearth. Show downtoearth's posts

Cos, I see the issue has been solved.  But I did want to say to your comment - do you think she'd care?

Cos - since she is your friend, I know should wouldn't care how much you spent unless it was to be happy you found a bargain!! 

:)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

since the issue is resolved, I'm going to go a little OT just to share a good savings tip:
    skin care products and perfumes at deep discounts are every bit as good as the ones at full price in department stores. Retailers, like Sephora, don't like to carry products that are set to expire in a year or less because of their lenient return policy. And, if you keep the product in the refrigerator (away from light and heat) they'll stay good right up until that expiration date.
    I almost never pay full price for moisturizer or perfume by buying those products at outlets. A bottle of moisturizer gets used up in 6 months anyways.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

Hi ash, I saw your comment, yes I probably made a comment but it was pretty late in the a.m.  I think that column is really fun and thought-provoking sometimes (except for those wacky LL regulars!)

Hi AB, yes of course any friend of mine would "go with the flow" but I didn't want to be tacky.  I love tacky decorations, but not tacky behavior.  I was more interested in finding out if Macy's would take it off the registry if I called them, but so far haven't been able to reach a live person there.  Sigh! 

Miss our Beef Stew lunches!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from downtoearth. Show downtoearth's posts

Cos - Me too!  I confess I tried a beef stew at another Irish Pub the other day.  They served us each a whole pot!!  I could have fed my family of three on what they brought for lunch!! The bread was not nearly as good!

Take care!   AB

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

Final update....

I looked up the couple's registry today via the Wedding Channel website and saw they had a Customer Service number for all the Registries you can access through their search feature, so I called it and they are going to mark the item as purchased on the Registry....

I assume since she wasn't a Macy's employee, she didn't give a rat's behind where I bought it!

Life is good! 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from nantucket4life. Show nantucket4life's posts

I vote to buy it at home goods and she can return the duplicate at macy's for store credit.