Changing the Reception Site...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

Changing the Reception Site...

I took a personal day today to do some wedding related errands, and did something I probably shouldn't have....

I am happy with the site that we chose with our reception, but something about it is not making me 'love it'. I drove to the Henderson House in Weston and looked around, and FELL.IN.LOVE.

Now, I don't know what to do. I really wish I didn't go over there. Our wedding is still over a year away, so there could easily be an opening...I called, and well there is, on our date Undecided

I called FI and was on the phone with him for an hour almost in tears. He said he would drive over there tonight with me and we would talk to their coordinator; we have an appointment now. 

But I will feel awful if we cancel on our original reception site. We will be out a lot of money due to the deposit, but I almost feel as though it is worth it if I have vibes that it is not the "right" place for my wedding.

I need your advice..what should I do?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from heatherv1211. Show heatherv1211's posts

Re: Changing the Reception Site...

Sept - is your original reception site a "no refunds" place?  Some sites will refund your deposit with enough notice.  First check that out.

It's really nice if you can LOVE your reception site!!  So I say check into the details and change it if you feel that is what you really want!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dougas. Show dougas's posts

At least you don't sound like a spoiled brat.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

Heather, FI just called them and since we are a year out we would get our deposit back!

I do like my current reception site, but I do not 'love' it by any means.

I think we may change it, but I feel guilty, like I am hurting the other sites feelings or something.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmt09. Show kmt09's posts

Heather, FI just called them and since we are a year out we would get our deposit back! I do like my current reception site, but I do not 'love' it by any means. I think we may change it, but I feel guilty, like I am hurting the other sites feelings or something.
    Posted by Sept2010Bride

This is awesome!  I'd be nervous about losing the deposit, but since you won't then go ahead and book your dream venue!!!

Don't worry about the other reception site.  They don't have feelings.  They just want the $$$!  :) 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reader001. Show Reader001's posts

Better to "hurt" some "feelings" (but trust me, they don't really have feelings about this) than to settle for less on something this big. I, of course, LOVE the Henderson House as we're having our reception there, so I think it's a great idea. Go see it with your Honey, talk with Lisa, scope out the vibe. Then let it settle (or not, we decided as we shut the doors to the car after our meeting) and be sure of your choice.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmt09. Show kmt09's posts

Posted by dougas

I know, I can't believe she wants to like her reception site!  The nerve of some people!

Undecided

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reader001. Show Reader001's posts

In Response to Re: Changing the Reception Site...:
    I know, I can't believe she wants to like her reception site!  The nerve of some people!
    Posted by kmt09

I love, love, LOVE the ignore button!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

LOL kmt...I know they don't have feelings, but I can't help but feel 'bad'.

I knew FI and I rushed into this. I just didn't really have any clue as to what was out there, and I always kind of knew about this other place, it is owned by my alma mater, and my mom always told me to look at it, but I was always like "no no , we should have it in a hotel to make it easier for people." But then the more I thought about it, I am not the 'hotel wedding' type of girl. So I went and of course fell in love instantly.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

Heather, FI just called them and since we are a year out we would get our deposit back! I do like my current reception site, but I do not 'love' it by any means. I think we may change it, but I feel guilty, like I am hurting the other sites feelings or something.
    Posted by Sept2010Bride

Sept, that's great news!!  You get your deposit back, and you get to have your reception at the site you really love.  Wonderful!  I think you have to get that feeling, too.  We got it right when we walked into our venue, too.  We just knew it was right.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Reader001. Show Reader001's posts

In Response to Re: Changing the Reception Site... : Sept, that's great news!!  You get your deposit back, and you get to have your reception at the site you really love.  Wonderful!  I think you have to get that feeling, too.  We got it right when we walked into our venue, too.  We just knew it was right.
    Posted by Goodness1

Yup! Just like the dress!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

Exactly!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

Posted by dougas

Aaaaand where did you have your wedding?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

Thanks Goodness and Reader, and Kmt, and Heather (lol)

I wanted to make sure I wasn't being totally irrational! :)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmt09. Show kmt09's posts

LOL kmt...I know they don't have feelings, but I can't help but feel 'bad'. I knew FI and I rushed into this. I just didn't really have any clue as to what was out there, and I always kind of knew about this other place, it is owned by my alma mater, and my mom always told me to look at it, but I was always like "no no , we should have it in a hotel to make it easier for people." But then the more I thought about it, I am not the 'hotel wedding' type of girl. So I went and of course fell in love instantly.
    Posted by Sept2010Bride

You'll get over it.  It's just a business deal, and once you get your refund from your first venue, you won't worry about it anymore.  :)

Hey, maybe it's a good lesson for you.  It all worked out for the best this time, but maybe next time you need to make a big decision like this one you'll think about it for awhile first.  Doesn't it make you crazy that moms are ALWAYS right?  LOL!

I'm really happy for you that you found a venue that you're in love with.  I checked it out online; and it's gorgeous!!!  I can see why you like it so much. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

Kmt, the website does not even do the place any justice. It is an old English Tudor Style mansion with the most incredible gardens you've ever seen, although who knows what the gardens will look like in the fall. But I loved how the cocktail hour will be in the foyer right near the grand staircase! And the price is not that bad, in FACT it is LESS than what we would pay at our original! :)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

Why don't you go and look at it this September, so you can get an idea of what it'll look like for your own wedding?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dougas. Show dougas's posts

No disagreements as always. I think its a problem of always looking for greener pastures. Will she want a new car, house and husband too? What counts is the people around you, not the site. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

I'm glad it worked out!  You should go with the venue you love.  I went with my second choice to save $$, but only ended up saving less than $2000.  If I could do it over again, I would go with my first choice.

yay!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmt09. Show kmt09's posts

No disagreements as always. I think its a problem of always looking for greener pastures. Will she want a new car, house and husband too? What counts is the people around you, not the site. 
    Posted by dougas

Well when she's paying for the site, shouldn't she have what she wants? 

And since when does calling someone a spoiled brat = disagreeing?  Sounds like junior high name-calling to me...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

I have to say, I had to force myself not to look at wedding gowns after I already bought mine.  I couldn't help myself, and just kept looking, though.  Then, it came down to my going to the bridal shop, telling them it's not the dress I had always dreamed of.  They were so generous and nice, that they told me I could come in and try other dresses on, and they would exchange it for mine.  I was so excited.  Then, I put my original dress on, and seeing it on myself again, completely changed my mind.  My dress is so original looking, and it's not made anymore.  Also, the thought of knowing that someone else would be wearing "my" dress killed me. 

I kept my dress. 

I think it's important to think about your choices when it comes to your wedding.  You got lucky, the original site let you have your deposit back (most wouldn't... I know mine wouldn't). 

With all the time you have planning your wedding, it's nearly impossible NOT to look around at other sites, dresses, hairstyles, what have you.  I still do, but I'm more confident of my choices for that stuff.  I also had a lot of time planning my wedding.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dougas. Show dougas's posts

She is more confident than you I guess. Ouch!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmt09. Show kmt09's posts

With all the time you have planning your wedding, it's nearly impossible NOT to look around at other sites, dresses, hairstyles, what have you.  I still do, but I'm more confident of my choices for that stuff.  I also had a lot of time planning my wedding.
    Posted by Goodness1

I think this is part of the reason I was happy that FI and I had a relatively short engagement (8 months).  I didn't have time to second-guess anything.  Once a decision was made, it was set in stone.  I'm the type that overanalyzes everything, so I would have driven myself crazy if we had a long engagement. 

Plus a long engagement would have given FI and I the opportunity to call off the whole thing and elope.  Which we probably would have done.  LOL!  :)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

We could have gotten married last year, but felt that it was too rushed, and we had a lot of things to do.  Now, our wedding is coming up in 3 months, and it's perfect timing.  Having a longer engagement gave us the opportunity to save a bit of money, really think out our choices for food, wine/drinks, timing, photographer, videographer, dj, and do lots of research for our honeymoon.  Plus, we saved some money for our honeymoon from planning in advance.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

You would know, calmdown.

Sections
Shortcuts