Controversial Subject - as requested - dressing the extended wedding party

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Re: Controversial Subject - as requested - dressing the extended wedding party

Cosmo...mandatory updos?? My heavens! That is insane. One of my BM's has the most gorgeous hair ever, and I would actually prefer it if she just blew it out for my wedding, and didn't have it done, but she can do whatever she wants. Also, I was in a wedding over the summer where the bride picked out shoes that all the BM's had to wear, they were $200! I mean...why do I care what shoes my girls where...the only requirement is that they be silver, but they can look like whatever.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Oh, yeah, that's only part of it!  I've heard of mandatory updos, weight loss, nail color, heel height, you name it, they've demanded it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Oh yeah...I was in a wedding in 2007 where the bride required that we all get french manis and pedis, but I didn't really think anything of it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I told my BMs they didn't have to wear makeup if they didn't want to. I even told them I'd do their makeup if they wanted. After working at Sephora I've got enough makeup to last until Kingdom Come.
    My MOH did her own hair and makeup. My mom and my other BM made appointments with their own salons to get their hair done. My mother did my JrBM's hair and makeup. I did my own hair, and a good friend from Sephora did my makeup.
    Everyone looked great, and looked like themselves. Bridesmaids that look like Robert Palmer girls or pageant contestants freak me out with their uniform makeup, hair and stripper nails. It reminds me of when I used to participate in dance competitions and we all had to have the same hair and makeup. "Resistance if futile, you will be assimilated!"

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Do you guys remember a post a while ago on the WC about brides asking their BMs to cover up tattooes? (I can't go on that site anymore; it's a an exercise in the decline of society.) That perplexes me. You're asking someone to be in your wedding because you love them--all of them. I don't have any tats, but if I did I think I'd be really annoyed if told to cover them up.

AB, it sounds like this bride has succumbed to Mad Bride Disease, but hopefully it will wear off soon. When is the wedding? You say she's normally down to earth, so maybe this is just a hiccup in the process. Maybe you can confiscate her bridal magazines until she calms down a bit. Laughing

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Does anyone remember in 2007 that article in People about the email that circulated around the world!??? Apparently it was a joke. Some bride made a contract for all of her bridesmaids to sign.

I will not gain any weight before the wedding
    I will not get pregnant before the wedding
    If I get a haircut before the wedding, I must ask the brides permission
    I must ask brides permission on any nail color
    etc, etc, etc

I got that email and thought it was real, until I saw the article in People. It got so bad, she had to call People herself to have them write an article explaining how it was a big joke!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I don't remember that, but the universal outcry against it restores my faith in humanity.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Am I the only one who thinks it's weird to count the MOB as part of the wedding party?   She's not actually IN the wedding.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

well, AB used the phrase "extended wedding party" and I think it's appropriate. Parents aren't in the wedding, but they're a big part of it usually. I know I never could have pulled off my wedding without the help of my parents. My mom did so much, it was just as much her day as it was mine. She helped me plan almost every part of it.

In Response to Re: Controversial Subject - as requested - dressing the extended wedding party:
    [QUOTE]Am I the only one who thinks it's weird to count the MOB as part of the wedding party?   She's not actually IN the wedding.
    Posted by lucy7368[/QUOTE]

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

In Response to Re: Controversial Subject - as requested - dressing the extended wedding party:
    [QUOTE]Am I the only one who thinks it's weird to count the MOB as part of the wedding party?   She's not actually IN the wedding.

Sometimes they kinda are.  Before my bridesmaid processional, we had a formal seating of the MOB/MOG and my grandmother...they even had separate music from the bridesmaid processional. 

I don't know about anyone else, but I never once opened a single bridal magazine.  Once I had my dress, I didn't see the point.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Controversial Subject - as requested - dressing the extended wedding party : I find them sad and somewhat amusing.  But if you find them disturbing why bother to read the thread?  The title pretty much summed the content up, so why subject yourself to something you know would be disturbing? 
    Posted by wendy98[/QUOTE]

It restores my faith in people to read that the majority of posters think that their mothers, dads,  and others:

1.  should wear something that they feel attractive in, that will make them feel good  on a day that is special to them, not just the bride
    2.   are adults who have dressed themselves for a good number of years, and can either select their own  outfits, ask someone to come along and shop,  or even consult one another if they feel it to be necessary
    3.  should not have the bride dictating, I do want you in this color , don't want you in that, you cannot stand next to me or some other person if you do not wear what I want because I won't like the pictures,  and other controlling nonsense that would not be acceptable in any other situation, and are not okay in weddings, either. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

I've always thought of the parents and grandparents as part of the wedding party. They walk down the aisle to music, so that seals it for me.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from helphelpImbeingrepressed. Show helphelpImbeingrepressed's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Controversial Subject - as requested - dressing the extended wedding party : I find them sad and somewhat amusing.  But if you find them disturbing why bother to read the thread?  The title pretty much summed the content up, so why subject yourself to something you know would be disturbing? 
    Posted by wendy98[/QUOTE]

Because it's fun to point out what annoys. That's all your posts are too.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

i don't think she'd be able to have a black & orange colored wedding without giving the guests the "halloween theme".  

i also don't think the bride should dictate what the mother should wear, either.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Strictly speaking, the wedding party is comprised only of the attendants of the bride and groom, standing up with them during the wedding.  So, yeah, I agree it's not technically correct to call the parents part of it unless they are in the party like when my FIL was the Best Man in ours.  Other times the mother is the Matron of Hontor, for instance, too.

However, it doesn't offend or otherwise rile me to have them referred to that way.  They usually participate in just about everything the wedding party does so I suppose they could be included under that umbrella loosely enough, and "extended," I think conveyed that idea.  If it matters...which I don't think it does.  Why am I responding?  I dunno.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ash. Show ash's posts

I identify with the mother because I am one.

I would be mortified that I raised a daughter who thought she could demand that I wear a certain thing to her wedding, especially one that a great deal of people still associate with mourning, especially in the mother of the bride.  The ugly color aside (sorry, not a fan of black) I would hope my daughters and I would be discussing this rationally and there would be no demanding.  I am even hoping for a few fun shopping trips

I have, of course, also been a bride, but in my day and age (just celebrated 18 years) your mother told you what to wear, not the other way around Wink.  Or maybe that was just my mother.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ash. Show ash's posts

When you go to a wedding, do you ever notice the style and color of the MOG/MOB dresses?

Actually, depending on who they are, sometimes they do.  Quite a few people commented on my mom's dress and my mother in law's dress--in a good way.  My mother in law dressed in yellow, which is a really bad color on most people...except my mother in law and my daughter!  My mother in law looked fabulous and even my boss's wife, who is most decidely NOT a fashion maven, commented on it.  Both of them were positively glowing.

I do notice what the bridesmaids are wearing as well.  And I am one who does not like a lot of black at a wedding--in spite of what most people think, it does not look good on a lot of people.  At least accent it with something pretty.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r. Show Hammah29r's posts

Re: All Vets - My thanks

In Response to All Vets - My thanks:
    [QUOTE]Just in case anyone has forgotten, today we celebrate and thank all those who have served in our Armed Forces. My thanks to you all. To those in our community here who are Vets; my respect to you always. Papa, I am thinking of you - RIP
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

Thanks Jessy!
    I thank you and my dad who is 86 years old and a WW2 veteran thanks you also.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from oldchild. Show oldchild's posts

I identify with neither side.

As a photographer I would like to point out that dressing the MOB in the same color as the bridesmaids will have the visual effect of making her disappear in the group photos. As the groomsmen will also probably be wearing black tuxes, that reduces the MOB to a floating face in a sea of black.

MOB has great color sense to pick something that will be quietly elegant and harmonise with the bride's choice for wedding party. Too bad the bride does not seem to have inherited this good taste. 

I have seen many good fall combinations using cheap seasonal mums in pots--bronze, purple, scarlet, orange, gold, you name it. Black does well  as a background to even small areas of such colours with their understated green leaves.  But pumpkins--well, just wait till the kids see the pictures and tell THEM it wasn't a Halloween theme.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Prill. Show Prill's posts

I identify with a the bride.

Agree with Kittie, black bridesmaids are fine, but having everyone in black will look like an after 5 funeral.

Would I have chosen/did I like what my mom wore to my wedding, no, but did it ever cross my mind to dictate what she had to wear, no.  She's an adult, she can dress herself, she looked nice, who gives a rats if she wore turquiose when there was a distinctly fall feel to everything else about the wedding.