Couple wants streetcar donations in lieu of gift

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

My problem with this is not whether or not the charity is worthy. When I buy a wedding present, I want to give something to the couple - not to someone else. I mean how can people really need nothing...new towels (I could use some of those), nicer sheets, cash for the honeymoon?
    I also feel a little miffed about someone basically saying, "We don't want anything from you, but we want you to spend the money you would have spent on us at this charity." UMMM - no thanks.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

Being from Cincinnati, and knowing how bad it is as far as NO ONE going downtown...this is a pretty great thing they're trying to do. Cincinnati is a great city and it is really sad that the people who live in and around it don't realize it.

I would love to see public transit in the 'Nati.

ETA: point being, assuming a lot of their guests are from Cincy, or are familiar with the area, they would be psyched to donate to this as well. I genuinely hope something comes of it. The fact that it made its way to the Globe is pretty impressive. Hopefully they have VERY wealthy friends. ;-)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

I definitely would pass on that "donation." When I donate to charities, I choose the ones I believe in.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

It's like they registered for that, though, as their wedding gift. You still wouldn't?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brighton1. Show Brighton1's posts

Obviously I would investigate the charity first, but a local streetcar project seems fairly innocuous.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brighton1. Show Brighton1's posts

What am I missing? Is this controversial or something? If a couple wanted a donation to a Streetcar project, instead of gifts, I'd be fine with that.

[Quote]I definitely would pass on that "donation." When I donate to charities, I choose the ones I believe in.[/Quote]

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

It doesn't evoke any emotional response from me, but it is interesting.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I wouldn't give money to a charity I didn't believe in either, but in all fairness, who is doing the donating? The guests or the couple? I'm actually not sure. Do we have to feel compelled to give to that charity in order to give them a wedding present? I didn't really think of all this when I first read it. Good conversation.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

I would never donate to a cause I do not believe in. Even if it is on someones registry. Many charities are iffy at best.
    Unfortunately I cannot open the link, so I cannot tell, whether I would donate to this one or not. But before I do, I would google the charity and throughly research it before I would write my check.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I agree, Brighton, if they asked for that for their wedding, I'd see it as donating in their names not coming from me personally. It would be completely different if they were asking for donations to something I found to be immoral. In that case, first of all I probably wouldn't have been on their guest list in the first place and, secondly, of course, I wouldn't do it. But a streetcar? Gosh, whatever floats their boat. I've given wedding gifts off registries that I wouldn't have chosen for myself.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

I would never donate to a cause I do not believe in. Even if it is on someones registry. Many charities are iffy at best.
    Unfortunately I cannot open the link, so I cannot tell, whether I would donate to this one or not. But before I do, I would google the charity and thoroughly research it before I would write my check.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

I'd totally donate to that if that's what the couple wanted.
    After living in Boston for 5 years, I couldn't fathom living somewhere that didn't have a public transit system. I can see why the couple would want it!

And registering with a charity is like registering for anything else, it doesn't mean your guests HAVE to buy you exactly that.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from circles82. Show circles82's posts

I don't know who may have caught this on the front page, but I thought it was interesting. What do you all think?

Link to Globe story HERE

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

[Quote] I've given wedding gifts off registries that I wouldn't have chosen for myself.[/Quote]

I have, too. But I've seen some items on registries that I couldn't, in good conscience, purchase for anyone. I mean - yes, if you want a wagon wheel coffee table, that is your business, but I'm not sure I can bring myself to enable you. I'd rather give cash.

I also wouldn't give to a charity I disagree with, even in the couples' names. In this situation, where I have no real opinion, I would probably donate.

Also, they said donations would be returned if the project weren't successful, in which case I would feel like I hadn't gotten them anything (and, I wouldn't have).

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from AnneEnow. Show AnneEnow's posts

I'd just give them cash and let them donate it if they want. I think they're trying to do a very nice, generous thing and I totally understand not needing anything. We had to combine 2 fully furnished condos and really didn't need anything, nor could we fit another thing into the condo. So, we requested that there not be a shower and didn't register anywhere. I think they could have done the same thing then quietly donated any cash to the cause.

Although there's something to be said for generating publicity for the project.

Sections
Shortcuts