Crappy situation vent

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Re: Crappy situation vent

Sorry about my post showing up twice; the web site freaked out right as I posted and started flashing white. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

WPP- same thing's been happening to me.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I'm not trying to fix it. I'm just pointing out the possibility that sometimes people take things personally that weren't meant to be personal.  I'm pointing out the possibility that the B+G were just trying to do what they thought was best/fair, and not mean selfish people.
    If they are mean selfish people, which is possible, then the cousin should decline, not send a gift and avoid them at all costs from here on out. People like that aren't worth it.

this is exactly why I invited everyone +1 to my wedding. I didn't want to hear it.
    I get that having a date to a wedding is preferable in every way possible. But not everyone can do what I did and stay within budget and space.

and FWIW- my only bad habit seems to be ending up on the unpopular side of the debate and having to respond to 5 or 6 people who are responding to me all at once. that leads to numerous posts by me. People respond to me, I respond to them. I don't see how that's treating the boards like a personal blog. I see it as speaking when spoken to. if I were treating the boards like a personal blog I'd be telling you what I had for lunch, what I did this past weekend and what I thought about the movie I saw last night.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from joyadams. Show joyadams's posts

In Response to Re: Crappy situation vent:
    joyadams, both pk and I have been on these boards a long time and "know" each other pretty well.  We don't easily get offended by the other.  I have a bad habit of being snippy and sarcastic, and PK has a bad habit of needing to get the last word in and acting like these threads are her personal blog.  I mean, if you can't tell an old friend she has broccoli in her teeth, what's the point.  There was no offense meant -- no need to get upset.  Remember, we're just trying to save the world, one wedding at a time. 
    Posted by cosmogirl

Ok, peace, and I'll drink to that:)

And, I admire anyone who'll admit
    their faults!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm, drinks!  I could certainly use one.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rysmom. Show rysmom's posts

You ladies are a riot!  SWOWT...hahaha. Thank you all for your opinions.  I will let you know how it turns out.  It should be an interesting task to set up the traditional "cousins table" (as is customary at all of the family weddings we have been to thus far) with an odd number.  Domino got it partially right.  This group of cousins are not particularly close.  Groups of us are.  It is possible that the groom was unaware of the relationship or overlooked it.  Domino - cousin's father spoke to the groom because he had to call him about something else.  It came up in the conversation.  At any rate, I am looking forward to enjoying the night with my family who we don't see very much anymore now that my grandparents have passed away.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

In Response to Re: Crappy situation vent : I'm sorry, but you won't be eating alone if your whole family will be there and everyone is eating dinner at the same time, and you're at a table full of other people who are eating. that's the most ridiculous excuse I've ever heard.
    Posted by pinkkittie27

Except for the wedding dinner itself, and possibly the RD, they would be eating every other meal by themselves if they didn't know anyone else there.  Even if they knew people there, what if they wanted to eat earlier than everyone else, or didn't want to go to a particular restaurant? I don't think it's ridiculous at all. There are more meals involved in a wedding weekend than the reception meal and RD. 

FWIW, I  have no problem eating by myself in a restaurant or going to the movies by myself either. For some people, doing so is anathama. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

*if* they didn't know anyone else there. That isn't the case here.
    And I often don't want to go to the particular restaurant DH wants to go to. In those cases I wish eating by myself were an option, but compromise keeps the peace.
    While the reception dinner may not be the only meal involved, it's certainly the only meal the B+G should be concerned with. If there's a morning after brunch and everything else that unfortunately goes along with weddings these days, then there won't be a problem.
    We're getting into lots of useless hypothetical situations here. People's hang-ups about meals or travelling really shouldn't be the responsibility of others. If I'm afraid of crowds I don't expect the B+G to cut down the guest list so I'll feel more comfortable.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Now we are sticking to the facts of the OP's post?  You opened up the hypothetical can of worms pages ago.  :-)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

IFWIW, I  have no problem eating by myself in a restaurant or going to the movies by myself either. For some people, doing so is anathama. 
    Posted by ALF72

I can eat in a restaurant by myself if it's in the mall (because I don't see anything weird about shopping alone), or if it's because I'm refusing to go home (if my roommate is there).

I suspect that, if I knew my roommate would be home for several hours, I could go to a movie by myself.  But, otherwise, I can't do it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Now we are sticking to the facts of the OP's post?  You opened up the hypothetical can of worms pages ago.  :-)
    Posted by ALF72

by pointing out that it's possible that inviting her singly wasn't meant as a personal slight? I know what a stretch of the imagination it is, but it is entirely possible.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Often, when I'm out doing things alone, my mind wanders to amusing situations with friends, and I start giggling out loud. Everyone stares. 

Can't a girl just erupt into a fit of laughter on the T alone?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

In Response to Re: Crappy situation vent : I can eat in a restaurant by myself if it's in the mall (because I don't see anything weird about shopping alone), or if it's because I'm refusing to go home (if my roommate is there). I suspect that, if I knew my roommate would be home for several hours, I could go to a movie by myself.  But, otherwise, I can't do it.
    Posted by lucy7368

Eating at the bar in a restaurant by yourself isn't so bad. That's what I do when push somes to shove, and hope that the bartender will want to chat. A table for one can be depressing, and I agree that going to the movies alone is crappy.

WPP- I do that, too! I wouldn't stare at you.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

In Response to Re: Crappy situation vent : Eating at the bar in a restaurant by yourself isn't so bad. That's what I do when push somes to shove, and hope that the bartender will want to chat.
    Posted by pinkkittie27

That's actually what I do.  Sometimes, I'll just take a book.  Otherwise, I'll watch the game.  There's always a TV at the bar, and it's always showing the Red Sox.  :)

I laugh on the T, too.  But I'm usually holding a book.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

My fiance was on business for a couple of days last week and I was SO bored that I decided to go see 'Arabia' at the Science Museum. I felt weird for about 5 minutes, and then I got over it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

When I was "young", I used to get all teary when I would see an "old person" eating by him/herself at a restaurant.

Now that I'm the old person's age, I realize that my tears were for naught.  The poor woman probably just wanted a little peace and quiet.

I can eat by myself in a restaurant (thanks to business trips) but I can't quite get to the movies by myself yet.  It is SO stupid but I feel like everyone is pointing and whispering "What a loser.  She has no friends and no one to go to the movies with!"  I know it's pathetic!   

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

I first went to the movies by myself w/ I was 16.  I got dragged on a date w/ my friend who was so excited that this guy had asked her out, but couldn't get to the theatre w/o moral support. Besides, she didn't have a car and needed me to drive her.  I can't remember why he wasn't picking her up.  So we get there and she suddenly decides that she can do this on her own. Okay. I've got some time to kill.  Rather than accept their invitation to join them and see whatever horror flick they were going to, I ended up going to see K-9 by myself. If I can get through K-9 by myself at the age of 16 and put up w/ all the whispers of 'did she get stood up', I can see any movie by myself.   :-)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

You all made me realize I haven't watched a movie alone in over 5 years (either at home or at a movie theater).  I did watch movies alone when I was living and working in NY for one summer in college.  I would check French films out of the NY public libraries--whatever I could get my hands on--and watch them on my laptop.  I basically didn't know anyone else under 21 in NY, so everyone else would be hitting the clubs on weekends, and I would be brushing up my French watching invariably dark films.

And I don't think I have ever eaten at a bona fide restaurant with table service alone.  I'm pretty convinced I would hate that.

hmmm.... so I guess I'm not so good at the alone thing as some of you.  (Maybe the product of coming from a large family?), but I still didn't find it a hardship to go to travel out of town to a cousin's wedding alone (and I have done just that in the past).  I would hang out with my parents, sisters, and cousins.  Totally not awkward.  We've been doing that for decades. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

The only movie I can remember purposefully watching alone was Castaway.  I watched it in the dark, alone in my apartment.  If you remember it, Tom Hanks is alone on a deserted island for like 1.5 hrs in the middle of the movie, with no one to talk to but his pretend friend (a soccer ball?).  It was *SO* depressing and there was so little dialogue!  Bad choice to watch alone. 

Don't think I've watched anything else alone, but I don't really get that self conscious about being alone in public.

My friend had tickets to the a musical (she was DYING to go to!) and her date canceled on her at the last minute.  She was downtown, at the theater, and called to see if I could go.  I coudln't so I said "just go by yourself!".  She totally didn't want to.  She felt too funny being there alone.  i thought that was so weird, afterall you are already there and paid for the tix!  Luckily she found someone to go with her.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

If I had already paid for tickets, that's a completely different story.

That reminds me - my freshman year of college, I had tickets to see Rent! on Broadway.  My friend cancelled at the last minute.  She had the ticket with her, all the way across town, so there wasn't really a question of going with someone else.  I think I thought about skipping it for about 15 seconds.  I went alone, and it was fantastic.  When I went in, I had a bad cold, and when I came out, I was cured.  Laughing

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from joyadams. Show joyadams's posts

You ladies are a riot!  SWOWT...hahaha. Thank you all for your opinions.  I will let you know how it turns out.  
    Posted by rysmom

I wish we could all be there to see how it turns out.
    I guess no chance of invites (lol)
    Wink

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

In Response to Re: Crappy situation vent : I wish we could all be there to see how it turns out. I guess no chance of invites (lol)
    Posted by joyadams

Well, I for one would be happy to play the part of cousin's mom's SO.  Wink

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I went to see the final Lord of the Rings movie by myself... but it was years before I would openly admit it!  I had seen the second one on DVD and it just wasn't good enough.  But while I was taking finals at school, everyone else had already seen it.  So I watched it alone. What is it like 2.5 hours? 

I've also gone to see French movies alone at the MFA during their French Film Festival.  People just don't seem to like subtitles!  (This was pre-DH.  He'll go with me.)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from joyadams. Show joyadams's posts

In Response to Re: Crappy situation vent : Well, I for one would be happy to play the part of cousin's mom's SO. 
    Posted by lucy7368

Yikes!! That would be an entirely new vent!

Tongue out

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

I can only eat out or go to a movie alone when I'm traveling.  I can't do it in my own town.  Not sure why - it's not like everyone in the town knows me, "There's Poppy, alone again!" 

Sections
Shortcuts