Crappy situation vent

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Re: Crappy situation vent

In Response to Re: Crappy situation vent:
    I went to see the final Lord of the Rings movie by myself... but it was years before I would openly admit it!  What is it like 2.5 hours? 
    Posted by framerican51008

Wow, I'm impressed!  That movie was like 3.5 hours!!!!  I could barely sit through it with FI with me... it really should have ended about 1 hr before it actually did.  (I know I'm in the minority of people who did not like the LOTR movies.)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I like going to the movies by myself because if I hate it, I can just leave without a "Do you LIKE this?" conversation or guilt for wasting the ticket.  I figure it's wasted either way, but my way involves getting some of that time back.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

I love spending time alone. I think it is a must in any relationship. I wouldn't go to dinner alone, well I would at Panera, or any place like that, but going to a movie by myself doens't bother me. Let's say I lived in a city where none of my friends did, and I really wanted to see Sex and the City 2 (which I do), I am not going to drag my FI to it, so I would just go alone.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

I'm confused? Some of you don't watch movies alone? Like, on a dvd? I do that all the time! So does FI. I am not really into sci-fi types, i.e. Avatar, so he will watch it in the bedroom and I will watch a movie I like in the living room (like Valentine's Day) or vice versa.

We watch a lot of movies together, too. I just thought lot's of couples watched movies on their own, as well. Maybe we are weird.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

(I know I'm in the minority of people who did not like the LOTR movies.)
    Posted by trex509

But WHY did the movie have 16 consecutive endings?  Yell

I have made dozens of excuses for why I hated the second and third movie (I liked the first one up until I realized there was no resolution, at which point it was over).  But, if I wasn't the only person on the planet, I'm going to stop.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

I'm confused? Some of you don't watch movies alone? Like, on a dvd? I do that all the time! So does FI. I am not really into sci-fi types, i.e. Avatar, so he will watch it in the bedroom and I will watch a movie I like in the living room (like Valentine's Day) or vice versa. We watch a lot of movies together, too. I just thought lot's of couples watched movies on their own, as well. Maybe we are weird.
    Posted by Peonie

No, you aren't weird :-). DH and I do this sometimes too.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

I just thought lot's of couples watched movies on their own, as well. Maybe we are weird.
    Posted by Peonie

If you're weird, so am I.  But, if I tried to make my SO watch every single Lifetime Original Movie I watch, he would dump me faster than you can say, "Mother, May I Sleep with Danger?"  Embarassed

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I loved the LOTR movies, but definitely long!
    Lucy, I remember getting towards the end of the first one and thinking, Wait a minute we're not even going to see any kind of resolution!  There are two more movies coming!

Peonie, For some reason I don't have the attention span for movies anymore so usually DH and I either watch together or he watches alone.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Peonie - I love watching movies at home alone. :)  No problem with that at all.  I think my DH only does that when I'm not home, which is rare... but I do it a lot while he's watching "Lost" or a game or something.  Of course, if it's at night I often fall asleep before the ending so not sure if that counts...

Re: LOTR - maybe it was helpful to read the books beforehand?  I knew there would be no resolution until movie 3.  Although I will say, the books are kind of TORTURE to get through.  Very dense.  The movies were short and sweet comparitively.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Maybe.  The trilogys I grew up with - Back to the Future, Lethal Weapon, Star Wars, Hitchhiker's Guide, - not to mention the 15,000 Star Trek movies - were all clearly parts of an ongoing series, but each individual installment was a complete story.  Before LoTR, I had never even heard of a "trilogy" comprised of one story that is so insanely long that no person could cart around such a huge book so it necessarily had to be made into 3.

But, sadly, since I didn't like The Hobbit, or the movies, you couldn't pay me to read the books.  And I spend at least 10 hours/week on the T.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

oh man, not a LoTR fan here either.  Never made it through the hobbit, and fell asleep during the movie.  

I could imagine watching movies alone, if my husband and I had more free time together.  We spend approximately 1 waking hour together every day (eat dinner=30 minutes; then we have 30 minutes to hang out and do whatever; then it's time for sleep), and then get 4 weekend days per month when he is not working and we can hang out.  So we strongly prefer to spend that time together.  I suppose I could watch movies when he is not around, but I always feel like I should be working!  (my work is wherever my laptop is.)  bah.  It's okay though; we have non-identical but hugely overlapping taste in movies (and restaurants, and leisure activities) which is lucky and wonderful.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

In Response to Re: Crappy situation vent : If you're weird, so am I.  But, if I tried to make my SO watch every single Lifetime Original Movie I watch, he would dump me faster than you can say, "Mother, May I Sleep with Danger?" 
    Posted by lucy7368

Oh my God, there was a 5 hour Lifetime movie on I think a month ago, and FI thought I was insane...

It was amazing....I can't remember the name of it, but it was about Pat, a woman from Georgia who was so desperate to be part of the Atlanta's high society that she killed everyone around her.

ETA: I found it! http://www.mylifetime.com/movies/ann-rules-everything-she-ever-wanted

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

In Response to Re: Crappy situation vent : Oh my God, there was a 5 hour Lifetime movie on I think a month ago, and FI thought I was insane... It was amazing....All She Ever Wanted...
    Posted by Peonie

I LOVE that movie!  I've actually seen it two or three times.  I'm a freak, I know. 

Currently in the DVR?  Mother May I Sleep with Danger?, No One Would Tell, and this cliquey cheerleader thing that I haven't watched yet but looks fantastically awful.

ETA:  You had the name right.  All She Ever Wanted.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

Lucy, it was amazing...
    I recently saw the Tori Spelling cheerleader one, that was BAD, but so good at the same time.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

OK, no you didn't.  Nevermind.  There is also a movie called All She Ever Wanted, with Marcia Cross.

I think my favorite is where this ugly woman gets in a horribly disfiguring accident and, by some miracle, the surgeon makes her look like Yasmine Bleeth afterwards.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Peonie. Show Peonie's posts

Have you seen the one with the crazy nurse who is dying to have a baby and ashe freaks out when she finds out that her doctor is preggos and puts a doll in her pool??

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

I don't think so....

And on that terrifying note, I am off for the weekend.  Surprised

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

I liked LOTR, but it definitely could have ended a lot sooner if they cut out a bunch of the Sam and Frodo love scenes. And the slow-motion pillow fight on the bed at the end. 
    "Oh, Mr. Frodo, let me carry your bag for you."
    "You're a great friend, Sam."
    "Mr. Frodo, I couldn't live without you."
    "Sam, I love you."
    "Thanks, Mr. Frodo. May I please kill Gollum?"

It is the one exception to the "books are always better than movies" rule. Tolkien went on and on and ON about everything. 20 pages about a freaking grassy knoll. 

As a diehard Harry Potter fan, I must protest that the movies are absolute c r a p. Away with you, Christopher Columbus. Go sail away in your boat. 

DH and I watch movies alone; he loves gory horror movies and I HATE them, and I can only make him watch things like Bride Wars and 27 Dresses so many times. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I'm okay watching movies at home by myself, I just don't like sitting alone in a movie theater.
    I love old movies, foreign films, silent movies, weird artsy junk, scifi- all of those I usually watch by myself. DH will sometimes sit through them, but he prefers comedies and period dramas (which I think is a terrible name for a movie genre)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Yeah, "period drama" really sounds like one of those afterschool specials about menstruation. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rapunzel41. Show Rapunzel41's posts

I learned to love going to the movies alone when I lived in Los Angeles and didn't know anyone.  Yeah, it might be a little weird on a Friday or Saturday night, but I used to go see matinees alone all the time when I was single.  I could indulge in my guilty pleasure movies without feeling ashamed.  :-P