Crock pot debacle

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Crock pot debacle

So DH's aunt gave us a crock pot for a wedding gift. We already have one
    (that's why we didn't register for one, lol) and there isn't a gift receipt, so this thing has
    been sitting in its box in my living room for a couple months.

What do I do with it? What *can* I do with it, rather? I'm tempted to regift it, but I don't
    want to give it to someone who also already has one.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Re: Crock pot debacle

No idea where it came from?  Hmmmm that's a tough one.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Donate it.  I'm sure Salvation Army or Goodwill would love to take it.  We got rid of all our bachelor/bachelorette pots, pans and dishes that way. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I'd say re-gift it if you know anyone who's going to be moving to their first place of their own, but not everyone knows someone in that position.

Sell it on ebay or craigslist, or find a store that carries that make and model of slow-cooker and return it for store credit.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

I don't have a crockpot.... How big is it?  What does it look like?

ETA:  But, really, you should go with PK's suggestion.  I'm sure you can find a store that carries it, and store credit is always nice to have.

Also, before you donate it, look inside.  It would be sad if you donated it and found out later there was $50 in it.  I've heard of that happening.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

In Response to Re: Crock pot debacle:
    I don't have a crockpot.... How big is it?  What does it look like? ETA:  But, really, you should go with PK's suggestion.  I'm sure you can find a store that carries it, and store credit is always nice to have. Also, before you donate it, look inside.  It would be sad if you donated it and found out later there was $50 in it.  I've heard of that happening.
    Posted by lucy7368

Sold to Lucy for $0! It's red...umm...I'll give you a full description on fb. Seriously, you want it? Early birthday present.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Lucy, you should totally take it!
    DH and I have been using our slow-cooker non-stop. We've made pulled pork, chicken & dumplings, beef stew, cherry vinagrette pork, the list goes on and on!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Woo-hoo!  Thank you!

My roommate will be very excited.  She likes when I cook for her, and the crock-pot I have is that college student one that makes, like, 3/4 of a serving.  I gave up trying to use it ages ago.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I'm guessing the aunt isn't one of those people who would appreciate knowing?  She could return it and get you something else from the same store.  Of course, that's relationship quality dependent advice!  There'd be some family members I'd approach and others I'd find the nearest Salvation Army store.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Lucy, you should totally take it! DH and I have been using our slow-cooker non-stop. We've made pulled pork, chicken & dumplings, beef stew, cherry vinagrette pork, the list goes on and on!
    Posted by pinkkittie27

Wow.  That sounds so good!  I don't even know how to make those things.  :)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Peas, you may not know it right now but there will be a day, where you will be happy you have two crock pots. Honestly.
    I had a smaller one, but it was not large enough for when I had a large crowd. So I BOUGHT a second one and I use both quite frequently, depending on what I am making. When we have parties, they are both in use.
    If you give it away - you may feel sorry one day and wish you hadn't. Of course if you don't use crock pots at all - then it will be silly to keep it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lovetoplan. Show lovetoplan's posts

I was going to say I have a small one and a big one and use them both for different things.  It makes parties easier.  One word of warning, I made the mistake of putting the large crockpot right on the corian counter.  Just by chance it was over the seam.  Did you know that heat will make the seam in Corian expand?  Found that out the hard way.  Luckily DH was able to fix it.  Be sure to put something under your crockpot on Corian and granite so you don't crack it. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

I have a small crockpot and never really use it.  Anyone who would like to share recipes, I would love to have them!  I love the idea of dinner done and hot when I get home from work.  If you don't mind emailing a recipe, add at gmail dot com to my username!  Or facebook.  :)

ETA: oh, good warning for countertops.  What do you put under it?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I am glad for your posts ladies.  I have a small one that my mother gave us for Xmas even though we had registered for a bigger one.  For some reason, she was against buying us an Xmas gift from our registry.  I was going to sell it at a yard sale (someday...), but maybe I will reconsider.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Kar, the aunt knows that we have one...in a strange turn of events, she knew when she got it for us. It's one of those quirky family dynamics that are difficult to explain. To illustrate, when we went table to table during the reception, we stopped at her table. She said, "Lovely ceremony!" then started cackling madly. DH and I said, "Thanks, we're glad that you enjoyed it." She replied, "Oh, I wasn't there. Missed it completely." Cackle. Um, okay....

I just don't have any place to put an extra crock pot and would rather see it go to good use. Lucy, we'll figure out how to get it to your place. You probably won't want to carry it on the T. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

DH made the most delicious roast on Sunday in the crockpot.  I'll get the recipe from him.  We devoured the whole 4lbs in one day.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from wendy98. Show wendy98's posts

DH and I have two his was larger and oval with the ceramic inner part that you can take out and it had a small side pot as well.  Mine is a "kitchen kettle" that is a name brand and is non stick round and can be used as a deep fryer.  We have never used it as a fryer but I use it to make red sauce chili and a few other meals as well.

I was debating getting rid of one but since we have the space maybe I will keep both.  And it would be good for the weekend when I want to make two slow cooker meals. I am very paranoid about fire so I cannot leave a crock pot/slow cooker unatteneded even if they are designed to be left alone.  My big victory was I left it for an hour to run to the store and back, but there is no way I would leave all day.

Since I have already digressed, do any of you ladies make something on the weekend and not eat it?  I tend to do that alot with the slow cooker I make things on Saturday and or Sunday that I know reheat well so I don't need to make something during the week.  This weekend it was chili which DH and I will be having for lunches this week.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from downtoearth. Show downtoearth's posts

In Response to Crock pot debacle:
    So DH's aunt gave us a crock pot for a wedding gift. We already have one (that's why we didn't register for one, lol) and there isn't a gift receipt, so this thing has been sitting in its box in my living room for a couple months. What do I do with it? What *can* I do with it, rather? I'm tempted to regift it, but I don't want to give it to someone who also already has one.
    Posted by WhirledPeasPlease

Does your Mom have one?  His Mom?  Your sisters?  Friends?  give it to someone who needs it.

(I received a set of Corningware for my wedding that was almost the same as a set I already owned.  My MIL had admired my set more than once so I gave her the new ones.)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from downtoearth. Show downtoearth's posts

I was going to say I have a small one and a big one and use them both for different things.  It makes parties easier.  One word of warning, I made the mistake of putting the large crockpot right on the corian counter.  Just by chance it was over the seam.  Did you know that heat will make the seam in Corian expand?  Found that out the hard way.  Luckily DH was able to fix it.  Be sure to put something under your crockpot on Corian and granite so you don't crack it. 
    Posted by lovetoplan

OT - but I never put anything hot on my Corian counter.  Trivits are your friend!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

The only thing I know how to make in crockpots are the mini hotdogs, or lil smokies, and I LOVE them!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Enjoy!

http://www.easycrockpotrecipies.com/Default.aspx

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

I am truly excited, that you new (or fairly new) brides have decided to revive the crockpots. When I was a young mother (and working full time) my crockpot was a life saver. I would prepare stuff the night before - then start the pot in the morning, and we would have a wonderful home cooked meal at night. No one ever can make a pot roast as good as the crock pot.
    Later on, when the boys were older and I had to race from one activity to another, I do not know, what I would have done w/o my crock pot(s). Probably Burger King or Mac D - yuck!
    There are plenty of cook books available for crock pot cooking. The one I bought years ago is called "Crockery Cooking" by Mable Hoffman. The book is tattered and spilled on, but Mable is my guru. Wonderful, easy, basic recipes I still use today.
    I am sure there are newer crock pot cook book available tending to better and more healthy recipes. But if you want a cookbook for basic crock pot cooking - look for Mable's.
    Happy crockpot cooking!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Wendy, I am paranoid of fires as well. I almost perished in one. It is a long, long time ago, but I still cannot comfortable go for a walk this time of the year, when people start up their heat and fire places. The air smells just like from when back when, and I end up with anxiety attacks.
    However, do not be afraid to leave your crock pot alone. The heat is so low and there are so many safety features build in, that one should not worry. It is not like you are leaving your stove on unattended all day. But if you are afraid, then I certainly do understand you.
    However, you can use your crock pot weekends when at home watching them and cook meals for the week. (After you have done that a few times, I am sure you will be comfortable leaving your pot "alone" for the day). I do that sometimes, now that our boys are all gone. I will just divide up the contains of the pot and freeze it. Not too difficult to take it out of the freezer in the morning and place it in the refrigerator to thaw. By the time I get home it is ready to be heated in my microwave.
    Happy crock potting! - P

DH and I have two his was larger and oval with the ceramic inner part that you can take out and it had a small side pot as well.  Mine is a "kitchen kettle" that is a name brand and is non stick round and can be used as a deep fryer.  We have never used it as a fryer but I use it to make red sauce chili and a few other meals as well. I was debating getting rid of one but since we have the space maybe I will keep both.  And it would be good for the weekend when I want to make two slow cooker meals. I am very paranoid about fire so I cannot leave a crock pot/slow cooker unatteneded even if they are designed to be left alone.  My big victory was I left it for an hour to run to the store and back, but there is no way I would leave all day. Since I have already digressed, do any of you ladies make something on the weekend and not eat it?  I tend to do that alot with the slow cooker I make things on Saturday and or Sunday that I know reheat well so I don't need to make something during the week.  This weekend it was chili which DH and I will be having for lunches this week.
    Posted by wendy98

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

so incredibly easy! let me know which ones sound good to you and I can message you the recepies on Facebook.

In Response to Re: Crock pot debacle : Wow.  That sounds so good!  I don't even know how to make those things.  :)
    Posted by lucy7368

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

That's what DH and I do! Put every thing together the night before in a big ziplock bag and then put it all int he crockpot in the morning, turn it on, go to work, and when we come home it's all done and yummy.
    I was nervous about leaving it on all day, so the first time I used it it was a Saturday so I could make sure it was safe. Not an accident in sight! plus it automatically turns off when the meal is done.

Plus it's economical to buy large pork loins or other cuts of meat, divide them up and then freeze them. It stretchs our grocery budget a little further.

I am truly excited, that you new (or fairly new) brides have decided to revive the crockpots. When I was a young mother (and working full time) my crockpot was a life saver. I would prepare stuff the night before - then start the pot in the morning, and we would have a wonderful home cooked meal at night. No one ever can make a pot roast as good as the crock pot.Posted by pingo

Sections
Shortcuts