Dollar Dance?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from LindaO1MrsO1. Show LindaO1MrsO1's posts

Re: Dollar Dance?

Like WPP, I grew up in NYS in the Southern Tier (Binghamton area)  The area had many families who had Polish, Slovak, etc. families.  Receptions were usually held in large church affiliated halls.  Dinners usually had some of those families traditional foods (i.e. perogies, galumkas).  Dinners are served "family style" by women of the church/parish.

As ambergirl indicated, there is often an ethnic dance which is traditional for the families and is part of their traditions. It can be very nice when it is done well.  The bride still with her veil on sits on the groom's lap (or in a separate chair). A group of women, often including the women who served the dinner, sings in their native language a beautiful, but somewhat  sad song about the bride now is becoming a woman. The song is similar to "Sunrise, Sunset".  As ambergirl noted it is rich in tradtition in certain cultures.  As the song is sung, the bride's veil is removed and replaced with a scarf (often called a babuskah).  Following this, the bride and groom participate with their guests in what has become to be called "the dollar dance".  When I first saw it done, guests gave an attendant usually a dollar but, close family members often gave more.  After dancing with the bride/groom  the male guests were given a shot of whiskey; the female guests were given a piece of the bridal cake - or some other sweet.  I think it has evolved where any guest receives a choice of whiskey or the sweet. 

I was married in that area.  However, my family was not one of those ethnicities.  I did not have the dollar dance nor did my guests expect that I would have it. 

I have seen it done, at weddings where the family does not have that tradition.  But, "some family member" thinks it is a "little extra" to help the new couple as they start their marriage.  The lovely song is not sung and just the "dollar dance" is done. In that instance, I think it is not appropriate.

As one poster indicated, persons who intend to have it could have cards on the tables summarizing the tradition.  I think this would be very helpful to guests who had never seen this done.  Also, SAW's idea of using Monopoly money is a good option.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from nikinikg. Show nikinikg's posts

This sounds like it is a localized tradition. I am from the Midwest and every wedding I have ever been to has had a Dollar Dance. I have never heard of anyone thinking it is tacky. It is a fun way to get a moment alone with the Bride/Groom to say congratulations. The bridesmaids or groomsmen usually facilitate and help the line move quickly. I wouldn't let it go more than a song. Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

We went to a wedding this weekend and saw our first dollar dance!  Well, sort of! 

The dollar dance is normal in the bride's culture.  So when the couple did their first dance, a bunch of relatives came up during it with stacks of dollar bills and dropped them on their heads!  It was kind of funny, people kept coming up and adding to it.  Then a relative would come up with a credit card and everyone would laugh.  It was funny, but I couldn't tell if it was planned or not.  It was their first dance, no introduction about it or anything, and it was funny but kind of killed the romance of the first dance. 

Then they did the parents dances and people continued to come up and drop money.  It seemed like a big joke, then one relative came up and threw a bunch of quarters on the grooms head!  It was funny, but it actually looked like it hurt him a little.

Again, this kind of killed the usual kind of "awww..." sentiment I have during the parents dances.  So I'm not sure if this was how the planned to do it or if they weren't going to do one, so the relatives did this instead.  It was funny though, and not really offensive the way I thought it would be.  It was amusing that they were dancing with dollar bills all over the floor, and it was quite a pile!