Ettiquette Question....looking for your advice

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dani273. Show Dani273's posts

Ettiquette Question....looking for your advice

I have a friend that just got married a few months ago and just recently lost his father  to cancer shortly after their wedding.  I want to send him and his new wife a Christmas card because it will be their first Christmas as husband and wife. I keep putting it off because I just don't know what to write inside the card.  I want to say something comforting, but upbeat. I don't want to mention his father's passing, but I feel that ignoring it and being too "happy holiday" is disrespectful. Anyone out there have any advice? Time is ticking away.  Thanks in advance.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Re: Ettiquette Question....looking for your advice

How about a simple 'thinking of you this holiday season".  Good luck.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Txgrl82. Show Txgrl82's posts

Hi,

I would just say something like, "Thinking of you during this holiday season...Enjoy your first married Christmas!" Love, Dani

Not sure how close you are or if you want to get deeper than that, but I would appreciate something like that. I also lost my dad to cancer about 3 years ago and if a friend wrote me something similar I would understand what they were trying to say.

Good Luck!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Are they people of faith?  There are lots of Christmas cards that focus on the birth of Jesus and peace of the season.

Also, there are others that aren't so religious that do say things like, "May the peace of the season be yours this holiday season," instead of "Happy blah blah."

P.S.  Hallmark employees know their inventory (at least they have when I've asked for certain things) and might be able to direct you to the perfect card. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Prill. Show Prill's posts

We are in a similar situation with one of our friends.  I think I wrote something like "We will be thinking of you over the holiday season and hope you and your family enjoy some time together that is filled with peace and joy".

It was probably written a little more eloquently than that though!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yes, "peace and joy" are not the same as "happiness" and are perfect things to say, I think.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

I've seen (and bought) Christmas cards in a Hallmark store that are "Suitable for Recent Loss".  Very nice and appropriate. 

No matter what you send, at least you're sending it, and acknowledging their situation.  Good for you! 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I agree with everyone. Telling them that they're in your thoughts and that you hope their holiday season and new year are filled with love and peace is really all you need to do.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dani273. Show Dani273's posts

I want to thank each and every one of you for your input. There was NOT one bad suggestion in the group! Sometimes you just have a mind block and coming up with the right words are just impossible. I can't thank you all enough, you have made it so much easier. Happy holidays to you all and again, many, many thanks!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Dani, I hope you and yours are well.  I am glad we could help.  Many blessings to you and yours.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Dani, all these posts were great.
    It is always best to say, what comes truly from your heart in these situations. You are a wonderful person to stop and think for a few moments. Not many would do so.
    I liked Kar's suggestion the best. "May the peace of the season be yours this holiday season". And for you - Merry Christmas.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dani273. Show Dani273's posts

Thank you Kar and Pingo........I hope you all have a wonderful holiday too.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from booklover. Show booklover's posts

Dani, my husband lost his father on Thanksgiving.  We got a lot of holiday cards that were lovely and heartfelt (in addition to all the sympathy cards, of course) and let me tell you, it wouldn't have mattered if all they said were "merry christmas!!" I still would have appreciated the thought.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dani273. Show Dani273's posts

Thanks "book"....so sorry to hear of your loss!  Thanks for taking the time to post!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

Dani -- are you "Laryan's Dani" the makeup artist?  Where are you working these days.  I'm ready for my makeover!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dani273. Show Dani273's posts

Hey Cosmo
    Yes, I am. I have to contact Laryan actually, to stop reccomending me for weddings......I have long given that up, but yes, still circulating around the department stores. I mostly cater to private clients now that have undergone kemo and other ailments looking to get a little instruction....I find it more rewarding. I just spoke to a womens group, a beauty school  and the girl scouts a few week before the holidays.....loved it. I will be hitting the Macy's stores and Lord & Taylor  a few days in January. After that, I do not know. My schedule is pretty open, as things in the department stores don't heat up until early April. Contact Laryan and she can give you my private email or I think that there is a way you can privately contact me through this site, but I am not too sure on how to do it.....I can let you know where I will be, and in what store and you can come in.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Dani, you are such a thoughtful person.  That's so nice to focus your talents on cancer patients having received chemo as those horrible poisons gives them a greyish complexion that would probably be a challenge to remedy.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dani273. Show Dani273's posts

Thank you Kar
    I have met alot of women over the years that like the Look Good Feel Better Program, but feel as though they would prefer to do that in a more private setting, like their own home. It is rewarding for me to do it and it the most fun when you see that person have a genuine smile take over their face. I have found that it is therapy for me as well as them. Thanks for your comment!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Between the new makeup and the big smile they must be and feel so beautiful.

What do you call your ministry?  I had a thought if you don't have one - "Glowing in the Dark"

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

Dani - that's a great thing to do.  When my mom was going through cancer treatments I went with her to a makeup session geared toward women dealing with chemo, etc., and it was wonderful - really lifted her spirits.  I even learned a trick or two that I practice to this day!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

Dani, what a wonderful way to make a difference in the world.  You're a rock star!

Sections
Shortcuts