For those who remember me...big milestone!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

Re: For those who remember me...big milestone!

Hi Ash!

Nice to "see" you!  I haven't been on the boards much myself.  What a huge milestone, you must be so proud.

Congratulations to your daughter! 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from downtoearth. Show downtoearth's posts

laryan!!! is that you?????

Wow - gotta get Cosmo over here now!!!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

hey, where is cosmo??  hi aunt beth!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ash. Show ash's posts

For those who remember me...big milestone!

Hello everyone.

Not sure who remembers me, I have been very occasionally lurking but not posting too much recently.  I'm posting this here and over on the parent board where I think a few old cyberfriends have gone.

Some may remember that I posted here in spite of being married for a number of years and having growing daughters, mostly because I love weddings and advice.

Well...I dropped my daughter off at college yesterday!  It was a very emotional and exhausting day.  I'm so excited for her to start this phase of her life, but it is a big change for our family.  Its amazing to me how your heart can continue to burst with love and pride for them and feel such sadness all at the same time!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from downtoearth. Show downtoearth's posts

Ash!!!   Congratulations on the first one out of the nest.  Is she far away?

I hope she has a fabulous year!!

I met my lifelong best friend the in first few days of college.  We became roommates and bridesmaids and now her kids call me "Aunt Beth!"

Life sure does go on, doesn't it? 

I rarely hang out here these days, but have checked in the past few.  I see you sometimes on the front page comments.  I miss my old wedding chat buddies!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from LindaO1MrsO1. Show LindaO1MrsO1's posts

In Response to For those who remember me...big milestone!:
    [QUOTE]Hello everyone. Not sure who remembers me, I have been very occasionally lurking but not posting too much recently.  I'm posting this here and over on the parent board where I think a few old cyberfriends have gone. Some may remember that I posted here in spite of being married for a number of years and having growing daughters, mostly because I love weddings and advice. Well...I dropped my daughter off at college yesterday!  It was a very emotional and exhausting day.  I'm so excited for her to start this phase of her life, but it is a big change for our family.  Its amazing to me how your heart can continue to burst with love and pride for them and feel such sadness all at the same time!
    Posted by ash[/QUOTE]

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Ash, it's nice to hear from you. I'm so happy for you and your daughter!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from katel. Show katel's posts

HI Ash! I remember you from the weddings boards when I was planning my wedding...I think you were planning, or had just planned a bar (or bat?) mitzvah...
    Congratulations on dropping your daughter off! How far away did she go? I remember being in TEARS when my Mom dropped me off. I was excited to go and ready to be in college, but the actual saying goodbye to her and my sister was AWFUL. Just when I had stopped crying, I layed down on my bed and found a card that my sister had slipped under my pillow. Tears all over again!
    But about a week later, like AuntBeth, I met the woman who is still my best friend, and never looked back! College was an awesome time, I hope your daughter enjoys it!
    And I hope you enjoy this next phase in your life!! Nice to hear from you!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from downtoearth. Show downtoearth's posts

she actually shows up on these forums sometimes.  she's still around.  Haven't seen her in awhile because she changed jobs.  We'd been lunching together when she worked in downtown.

how are you?  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LindaO1MrsO1. Show LindaO1MrsO1's posts

In Response to For those who remember me...big milestone!:
    [QUOTE]Hello everyone. Not sure who remembers me, I have been very occasionally lurking but not posting too much recently.  I'm posting this here and over on the parent board where I think a few old cyberfriends have gone. Some may remember that I posted here in spite of being married for a number of years and having growing daughters, mostly because I love weddings and advice. Well...I dropped my daughter off at college yesterday!  It was a very emotional and exhausting day.  I'm so excited for her to start this phase of her life, but it is a big change for our family.  Its amazing to me how your heart can continue to burst with love and pride for them and feel such sadness all at the same time!
    Posted by ash[/QUOTE]

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from downtoearth. Show downtoearth's posts

One more note - I have had trouble with boston.com lately.  some days it just doesn't come in except as code.   so that's why it's been awhile since I checked in. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

teaching wouldn't be an option..my degree is in social services...a heavier hit than expected field.  alot of people need social type services but w/the economy the way it is, social services are being cut to the bone, and then some.   i also see w/my parents and some elderly neighbors they need a variety of services right away, but are put on waiting lists, w/some on these waiting lists for months on end.  

I also know people who are on food stamps, wic, etc. and their benefits are being cut.  they tell them "because the economy is getting better"...bull crap! :)

yesterday, I applied for a job as a cashier w/the Cheesecake Factory...just to be instantly rejected..because i have never worked in a restaurant before!  another friend applied @ her local dunkin donuts..and was rejected.  why?  because she has "no experience working in a dunkin donuts"

Oh, Aunt Beth, you're right...i'm now "officially over 50" and don't care what anyone thinks..and i have also found myself "expressing myself" in ways i never thought I would!  :) 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

ct..i'm wondering if the new brides are "knotties"? 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JEnvie. Show JEnvie's posts

finally, something i can relate to again on the boards
    just dropped our one and only off at school for her sophomore year, this past summer i saw her mature incredibly - and yeah, the cleaning of the room, ugh, that doesnt get easier every year
    and i just hit 52, and it really is jsut a number, and i cant believe i am saying that, 50 was somewhat anticlimatic, i had been dreading it so much, but when i woke up that day it was like, ok, well i feel, act, look no different than i did yesterday, its no big deal

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

Ash - I saw your post on the parents board but wanted to come over here and say congrats to you and your daughter. No doubt she will be all settled in and having a blast in no time.  I cried when my parents dropped me off at college all those years ago - but loved it within the first 24 hours!
    Wanted to say "hi" to AuntBeth and others as well!
    BTW - my twins are 25 months and I started potty training my DD yesterday - different sort of milestone!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from downtoearth. Show downtoearth's posts

Hi, CT!!  

Laryann- the group did go to another wedding board.  wedding.com or something, I forget.   Cosmo was there - cos - are you still active over there?

I see Ridley on Facebook.  She went through Heck last spring watching the Bruins almost miss the finals and then she was so very excited when they won!!!!!  She's got some tickets and is ready for the new season!

She doesn't walk anymore and is very vocal on handicap access around the city!! And lots of other causes and issues!!!

Her neighbors are still loud!  LOL

We have never met in person except that one day at North Station - I was getting on a train, she was coming in for a game. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

i practically live on facebook when i'm not surfing the various job websites.  i've connected with so many people from my past that i've lost contact with.  its been a great reconnector!

i'm also a huge bruins fan, and was so happy when they won it all.  I'm looking forward to opening night on October 6th.  will be @ home watching it on the tv...would love to go to a game or two but it's not in the budget. 

also, not sure if everyone is aware, but boston.com is converting to a paid subscription site.  I got a pop up offering it for 99 cents.  i won't be on here once it "goes paid".   

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

hi ladies!  wow, how fun was this -- to see all these dear and familiar names!

Life has really kicked us in the teeth the last year or two....but we're hanging in there!

Also being in the "over 50" club, I have the wisdom to know that I'm still luckier than 99% of the population and things WILL get better. 

Hard to believe it's our FIFTH anniversary next week!  AND that Miss Lily's twins are 2+ y.o.  Time sure flies.  Ash, great news about your daughter.  With a great mom like you, I'm sure she'll do just fine in college!!!! 

Big hugs and love to you all!!!

Cos

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hey, ash, I saw this first down in "parents," and responded there, but I wanted to say hi to everyone who came out of the woodwork, too!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

actually, boston.com isn't going paid -- it will stay free, but bostonglobe.com will be for a fee.

boston.com will have some articles from the globe, but not the columnists, etc. 

I forget the name of that other wedding site we went to - I was going to try to find it because I wanted to see if Waggie is there!  Although she went from "no kids" to 3 or 4 kids in a year.....she and DH had adopted 2 (or 3?) children AND she was expecting. 

CT.DC - so good to hear from you, too!!!  Sorry that your job stinks.  It's not the kids, it's the adults, right?

Miss the good ol' days here, and fra and 2BWED, too! 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ash. Show ash's posts

Thanks again everyone for the good wishes!  And the opportunity to talk about turning 50!!  And to whoever mentioned that her mom died in her 50s--my mom did too.  That does weigh on my mind a bit.  And the fact that she really missed out on knowing my daughters.  She was a great nana.  I know she would have loved that part of her life the most (more than parenting my brother and me!).

And Cos--we got a shout out on Miss Conduct's blog--naturally we were agreeing.  Now that would have been a great topic for the wedding boards at their height!

I'm committed to trying to stay in touch.  I'll be back!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from downtoearth. Show downtoearth's posts

Bookie!! 

I found 50 to be empowering.  You somehow don't care anymore what anyone thinks.  You are free to be yourself.  At least I feel that way.

I embrace my middle years !!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

ct, you're right about hiring older workers!  One thing I've noticed that both Roche Brothers & alot of the stores in the town of Stoughton hire alot of "older workers"...they're much nicer to deal with, know what their doing, and don't have the attitude of younger workers..

i'm also noticing that my local christmas tree shops is trending on hiring older workers, more because they've been bagged by the state for child labor issues..16 & 17 year olds w/no working papers, as well as having them work beyond the time they are allowed to because they have school the next day.. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

these boards do seem quiet, compared to what they used to be Aunt Beth!  i also see alot of "off topic" discussions here now.

does anyone know how ridley's doing?  was just thinking about her!  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

It's good to see that everyone's still around and doing relatively well. there's always a part of me that worries a little bit when posters go MIA. I also miss Ripey, and I miss Lucy too.

Sections
Shortcuts