For those who remember me...big milestone!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

Re: For those who remember me...big milestone!

yes Aunt Beth..i've been checking everywhere, craigslist, temp agencies, monster, etc.  nothing out there.  with the market shaky, i'm sure not much hiring is being done.  its also disheartening when you walk into an interview and the first thing the interviewer says to you is "we had 500+ resumes within 5 minutes of this job being posted on craigslist".  i've also had several friends and some neighbors recently lose their jobs and they have absolutely *NO IDEA OR CLUE* as to how bad the job market really is!  one of my neighbors is totally computer illiterate, which makes it worse for this neighbor!

As for turning 50, it didn't bother me as much as it amazed me..it was like "oh crap, i'm 50"...turning 30 bothered me more!  LOL  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from booklover. Show booklover's posts

Hi everyone - I haven't posted in a long time so it's nice to see some familiar names!  Hope you are all doing well.  I wanted to weigh in on the college days - although they are very far into the past for me, I did make some life-long friends and cherish those bonds!  We are still in touch and it's one of the best times in my life.  Ash, I'm sure your daughter will have a ball.  How exciting that a new chapter has begun for your family!

I'm hitting the big 5-0 in January and freaking out about it.  Any advice if any of you have been there?  Yeah, yeah, I know it's just a "number" but it's a BIG number!  I've never been this affected by a birthday before.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ash. Show ash's posts

Thanks everyone for the good wishes.  She's settling in nicely and seems to have made some friends.  No doubt she loves the freedom.  I have been cleaning out her pigstye of a room (not throwing anything away, just cleaning!). 

Booklover, I just turned 50 (nothing like a lot of milestones at once).  Definately a big one.  It has made me look at a few things differently--not overt soul searching, but just thinking about where I want this part of my life to go.  Also need to accept that I won't be a millionaire by 30.  Or in the Olympics!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

You're not the only one experiencing issues, AB.  We've been talking about it in CC - random stuff, very weird.

I miss everyone who used to post regularly in Weddings, too.  Anyone here from circles?  She was going to start her own homemade candle business...I hope if she did it went really well!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from downtoearth. Show downtoearth's posts

Stinks that job hunting is so difficult these days.   I assume you're looking at Craigs list in addition to Monster and newspapers.  I have pretty good luck with Craigslist.

Sorry to hijack, Ash!!!   Just checking in.  Hi, everybody!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

doing ok, Aunt Beth...still looking for a job.  willing to take anything at this point, as long as its T accessible... 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

Hi, everyone, it's CT.DC! 

Nice to see everyone, I would like to know how Ridley is doing.  These wedding boards aren't as active as they were when I was planning my wedding from far away.  But it's now the parent board that is active - with many people who were on this board, which is funny.  of course - because they got married and are now having children, but it's interesting that newer brides just aren't as interested in those board, they must be somewhere!

anyway, we're doing fine in the DC area - I really dislike my job, which has been true for the last 4 years that I've had it, but I'm very clear that I'm far better off than those who don't have a job.

And it shocks me that people are turned down from working a cash register or at a Dunkin Donuts because they don't have enough experience - it's not rocket science, and all can be learned, my goodness!  Frankly, I'd be thrilled to hire 50+ yr olds, since they actually HAVE a concept of work ethic - as in, they will show up on time, for all shifts, and not "call out sick" when their boyfriend is back in town for the weekend.... 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from laryan. Show laryan's posts

hey cosmo, glad to "see" you! 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from booklover. Show booklover's posts

Gosh Laryan, that stinks.  Believe me, every day I am so grateful to have a job.  I have friends that are in that same position - one of them started substitute teaching to make ends meet.  She basically went to the school where her kids attend on a daily basis hoping they would take her.  Finally, they did (this was last spring) and now she is back subbing daily.  Would that be an option for you?

Thanks everyone for the kind words!  I'm not sure why it is affecting me so much.  Maybe because I lost both parents, and my mom was in her 50s, that suddenly my mortality is looming or something like that.  But my dear hubby booked us a nice trip for that time so I am hopeful that being in a different location will take the sting out of it!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ash. Show ash's posts

I think this is the website

http://forums.weddingchannel.com/Main.aspx

Haven't posted there in ages, so not sure if she is there.  Waggie was always an interesting poster.  I was never completely convinced that she and Sarahbeth were 2 different people, their writing styles were so much alike.

I miss Ralphluv.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from downtoearth. Show downtoearth's posts

Forum reunion!!! So cool!!

This place sure is quiet compared to when we all first met!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ash. Show ash's posts

Is to 2bewed the person who ended up getting married in a snowstorm in March?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ash. Show ash's posts

Oh Lucy, where did Lucy go??

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

In Response to Re: For those who remember me...big milestone!:
    [QUOTE]Pinkkittie, I guess we are the "kids". :)
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

it's nice to be a kid somewhere :)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hi, Dottie, 

Thanks for the update.  These issues are also being discussed right now in CC and in Parents (kristi's thread in General).  Should I cut and paste your answer there, or do you want to?

50s?  I'll be 40 in January...how about a different name? lol

~kar

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

Thanks, Dottie - now no one will see this! 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

You have a fantastic memory Kar. Yup, we've been in the house two years now. Both DH & I are fine, my new job is fantastic and the house is good.

Unfortunetly, it's been a tough summer for my family. My dad's twin was diagnosed with cancer in May and she died the weekend of the huricane. Thankfully my parents were able to make it to see her before she passed. My mom's best friend (who, really, was a member of our family) was diagnosed with cancer in April of last year and she passed away on Friday. That one was hard. We've decided no one else in our family is allowed to be sick for atleast a year.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCDottie. Show BDCDottie's posts

Hi everybody,

Would you like me to start a new board for you? What would you like me to call it -- The 50s? Any other ideas?

On the pay issue: That's right, the new site, BostonGlobe.com, is going to start charging for access sometime in October. It's free now so people can see if they like it; you just have to register. When the subscriptions start, it will cost $3.99 a week, but if you get home delivery of the Globe, even if it's just the Sunday Globe, then BostonGlobe.com is free.

Boston.com stays the way it is. It still has lots of Globe content; all of sports, all of the suburban news, movie and TV reviews, restaurant reviews, recipes, travel stories, all breaking news, all of the blogs, etc. But yes, there are some stories and columns that are only on BostonGlobe.com.

Finally, on the tech issues: We're doing a lot of work behind the scenes on the new BostonGlobe.com, a new content management system, and a new registration system. Sometimes something that someone does affects something on the live site. For example, we lost the ability to add comments to a handful of blogs the other day. Weird. But the people who regularly read those blogs emailed us, we reported it to tech, and it was fixed.

So if you are having trouble with anything, please email feedback@boston.com so we can look into it for you.

Meanwhile, let me know about that new board. It's no trouble at all. Thanks.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Yes Ash..She is..Talk about a good memory

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

Found it...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

omg -- ralphie was SO funny!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BDCDottie. Show BDCDottie's posts

"Nesting" is a good suggestion, pinkkittie. Let's try that. I'd like to give you all your own place.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from icer. Show icer's posts

I just touched base with 2BWED07 family member that I see... She did have her 3rd child just in the past 30 days.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

Icer!  How lovely to see your name, old friend!  Wish we still had a piece of our cake in the freezer - it was so yummy!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

I won't be 30 for another 6 months! So definitely don't call it the 50s. Maybe "Married Life" or "Nesting"? But I don't think any of us come on here as often as we used to.

Sections
Shortcuts