Had to share- Dear Prudie

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Had to share- Dear Prudie

"Q. Wedding Etiquette, Ruined Dress: Last weekend, my boyfriend and I attended the wedding of two of his friends. We had inquired as to appropriate attire and were simply told "suits and ties for men and dresses for women." However, we did not receive notice that the wedding would be held outdoors with the ceremony requiring guests to sit on the ground in a dirt clearing. The reception also featured a large campfire, with smoke permeating the tables and dance floor. Had we been advised the event would be backwoods casual, I wouldn't have worn my new silk dress and wrap. I contacted three dry cleaners, and they all told me that between the dirt and grass stains and the intense smoke residue, my $600 garment cannot be restored. My boyfriend is offering to pay to replace the dress, but he's already paid nearly $1,000 for our accommodations and transportation for the wedding, and I don't feel it's his fault as he wasn't warned of the wedding's "untraditional aspects," either. Who is responsible for the ruined dress?

A: Only thoughtless idiots tell people to wear their finest to throw logs on the campfire. Although I kind of like the idea of replacing the wedding cake with s'mores. Too bad your boyfriend was not more of a Sir Walter Raleigh. That way, he would have sacrificed his jacket for you to sit on so you didn't ruin your dress. You should also have felt free to forgo sitting the circle and stood on the periphery to protect your dress. (You actually should have felt free to slowly back away and make an escape to your car.) The bride and groom had an obligation to warn people their wedding theme was "Boy Scout Jamboree." But they didn't, and now your dress is ruined. At least get it dry-cleaned and see if it comes out wearable. Don't force your boyfriend to pick up the tab; just shrug off your smoke-permeated shrug and accept this is just one of those things."

Ummm.... How do you not know where a wedding and reception is going to be? And who the heck has people sit in the dirt in suits and dresses?!

That said, we should share our "I never should have worn that..." stories!

I went to a wedding at a state park and wore suede stilettos. After 20 minutes of sinking into the ground, I had to just go barefoot, and it was late September so my feet were freezing. Plus I had a hard time brushing all the dirst out of the suede. I felt so stupid! Now I always bring flats or slippers just in case.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from booklover. Show booklover's posts

Re: Had to share- Dear Prudie

That's a funny story!  Generally I'm not much of a fan of Prudie's (I find her too judgmental and dismissive) but I had to laugh at the "slowly back away" comment.  That's what I would have done!

Yes, pinkkittie, in my younger days I learned that beach wedding + high heels do not mix!  I'll never make that mistake again.  In fact, whenever I go to a wedding I bring flip flops to change into for the dancing anyway.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Oh geez.  Would anyone actually send the bride and groom a bill??  She could have refused to sit down on the ground.  (Why would they make women in dresses sit on the ground?)  And who really cares about the campfire smell if you like the dress enough?

I'll have to rack my brain for a good attire story.  I do remember a wedding during college before I knew about spanx.  I would have looked 5 times better in that dress if only I had known!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Is anyone really dumb enough to actually sit down in the dirt in a $600 silk dress and then complain that it got dirty and then blame others for it?!  I'm surprised she's literate enough to write the letter.  Maybe she dictated it.  I loved the visual of her "backing away slowly" during Kumbaya and making her escape.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkandpearls. Show pinkandpearls's posts

I don't think anyone could have predicted sitting on the ground for a wedding ceremony!! That's just crazy.

Have you ever been to a wedding where someone's friend shows up to the ceremony is a club-ready mini dress, complete with full on nighttime makeup and big hair? No, it wasn't me but I did see that at a wedding recently. I just kept wondering how she was kneeling in the church without showing her bum to the people behind her!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedFishBlueFish. Show RedFishBlueFish's posts

One of the groom's cousins did that at my friend's black tie (optional) wedding. (You can disagree with the "BTO" designation, but a barely-there miniskirt does not fall into the realm of appropriate.) Hers was practically painted-on and she had sky-high stilleto heels to match - for a swanky, upscale Manhattan wedding.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from zenbat. Show zenbat's posts

In Response to Re: Had to share- Dear Prudie:
    [QUOTE]One of the groom's cousins did that at my friend's black tie (optional) wedding. (You can disagree with the "BTO" designation, but a barely-there miniskirt does not fall into the realm of appropriate.) Hers was practically painted-on and she had sky-high stilleto heels to match - for a swanky, upscale Manhattan wedding.
    Posted by RedFishBlueFish[/QUOTE]
    Reminds me of my cousin's reception last summer. Granted it was a casual follow-up to my cousin's tiny destination wedding, but . . . My cousin described his reception as "casual." Our family and the bride's family had a radically different definition of "casual." Our family took that to mean suit jackets were optional. The bride's family apparently read that as "panties optional." Miniskirt + dancing = sight that could not be unseen.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

pinkandperals, redfish & zen- I know exactly what you mean. In June I went to my BIL's wedding in Maryland and most of their younger friends were wearing mini-dresses and tons of makeup. It's a much bigger problem in some places than it is in others. I blame Hollywood red carpet events. Actresses used to look classy at them, now they're all competing for skank-of-the-year and the young and impressionable are following suit. Seems like some people just don't understand that what works in Hollywood doesn't work in real life.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

When I was 14, my sister put me in an unlined lilac dress for her wedding.  It was bad enough that it barely covered my bum when I put on heels (the dresses were hand-sewn by her MIL, and it never occurred to her to do a fitting with our shoes on - or, for that matter, to line it).

So, there I was, 14, in what turned out to be an obscenely short dress, standing at the front of the church in the morning light - which turned the entire thing see-through.  Thanks, sis.  Undecided

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

In Response to Re: Had to share- Dear Prudie:
    [QUOTE]When I was 14, my sister put me in an unlined lilac dress for her wedding.  It was bad enough that it barely covered my bum when I put on heels (the dresses were hand-sewn by her MIL, and it never occurred to her to do a fitting with our shoes on - or, for that matter, to line it). So, there I was, 14, in what turned out to be an obscenely short dress, standing at the front of the church in the morning light - which turned the entire thing see-through.  Thanks, sis. 
    Posted by lucy7368[/QUOTE]

oh no! that's awful!