Hotel Room Block and Guests

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from katie1980. Show katie1980's posts

Hotel Room Block and Guests

We are running to an issue (I understand that weddings are expensive for out of towners) but we have a hotel room block - right now we are not meeting it - meaning we will have to pay attrition (we have a lot of guests from out of town so didn't think this would be an issue).

We came to find out that a lot of our guests are going through orbitz as they are getting a cheaper rate ($10/night cheaper) - but not only does this affect our attrition, the welcome bags, etc (as when we do welcome bags they will mark in the reservation to give them a bag, if they aren't in our block we don't know and therefore won't get one)

Has anyone else had this problem? What did you do!?!?

Thanks!

(we are working with the hotel, maybe we can pull their rooms into our block?)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from June08bride. Show June08bride's posts

Re: Hotel Room Block and Guests

[QUOTE]We are running to an issue (I understand that weddings are expensive for out of towners) but we have a hotel room block - right now we are not meeting it - meaning we will have to pay attrition (we have a lot of guests from out of town so didn't think this would be an issue). We came to find out that a lot of our guests are going through orbitz as they are getting a cheaper rate ($10/night cheaper) - but not only does this affect our attrition, the welcome bags, etc (as when we do welcome bags they will mark in the reservation to give them a bag, if they aren't in our block we don't know and therefore won't get one) Has anyone else had this problem? What did you do!?!? Thanks! (we are working with the hotel, maybe we can pull their rooms into our block?)
    Posted by katie1980[/QUOTE]

When my guests booked the hotel without mentioning our block, the person I was dealing with simply went down a list of names and I stated if they should have been added to our block.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

ANd perhaps you should call the hotel and mention that the Orbitz rate is cheaper than the block rate they offered you.  Perhaps they can adjust the block rate.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

I am with misslily. I would definitely call your hotel and tell them about the Orbitz rate. Then ask them to adjust the rate for ALL your guests. ---Or call your guests, who has already booked through your block - to book through Orbitz instead. They can always cancel  the first reservation.
    Are you getting a "free" honeymoon suite? Maybe that is what the extra $10 are for. Nothing is free these days.
    As for the welcome bags, we left ours at the reception desk with a tag w/ our guests name on it. They got the bag, when they checked in.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

I didn't do a hotel room block for fear of this happening.

So, they'll be at the same hotel, except not in your room block? If this is the case, I agree with Miss Lily that you can talk to the hotel about ti and see what can be done.

[QUOTE]We are running to an issue (I understand that weddings are expensive for out of towners) but we have a hotel room block - right now we are not meeting it - meaning we will have to pay attrition (we have a lot of guests from out of town so didn't think this would be an issue). We came to find out that a lot of our guests are going through orbitz as they are getting a cheaper rate ($10/night cheaper) - but not only does this affect our attrition, the welcome bags, etc (as when we do welcome bags they will mark in the reservation to give them a bag, if they aren't in our block we don't know and therefore won't get one) Has anyone else had this problem? What did you do!?!? Thanks! (we are working with the hotel, maybe we can pull their rooms into our block?)
    Posted by katie1980[/QUOTE]

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from katie1980. Show katie1980's posts

Thanks, yeah, we are trying to see if they can give us credit for those guests that booked on-line and not through our roomblock.

~Pingo, no its more for the fact that for a roomblock you have to guarantee a certain about of rooms will book, and if they don't you have to pay the difference- and it can add up Laughing
     (meaning if I told the guests to book through orbitz for the lower rate we would have to pay for all the rooms - up to $15k as we have guaranteed them this business) It is memorial day weekend so we figured we would need a room block.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Missy509. Show Missy509's posts

roomblocks are a risk. you assume people will choose to stay at your hotel of choice, and assume people will call and mention your name for the block and assume enough people will stay for the block so you dont have to pay a difference.

risky, as you are finding out now.

call the hotel, tell them what is going on. if they will fix it, get it in writing so on the day of, if there is some confusion, you have your proof you do not need to pay a difference. if the hotel will not work with you, go through the bbb online. guarantee that will work...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

That's interesting, my hotel won't charge me if I don't fill all the rooms - they will just release them after a certain date and the discount won't apply  (I don't think) to my guests who reserve their room after the cutoff.

My block is completely risk-free so I guess it depends on the hotel!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

I also blocked off rooms with a hotel for our wedding.  If they weren't filled by a certain date, they were released.  We didn't owe a thing if people didn't book with our suggested hotel.
    If I were you I'd email my OOT guests and tell them you're releasing your final rooms.  They have until xx date to reserve either through the hotel or through Orbitz and then they're on their own.
    I would not enter into an agreement where I was responsible for unsold hotel rooms.  You should get out of that deal ASAP.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from sher. Show sher's posts

I agree this sounds like a bad deal for you but maybe it's because of the long weekend? I also had rooms blocked at a hotel but there was no penalty to me if they were not used up. i think they went back into the regular pools of rooms a month before our wedding.

talk to the hotel. see if you can change the allocation now that less guest are booking or go through the names that you know have booked through orbitz and make sure they add them to your block. I fail to see how releasing the rooms back to the regular pool should affect them or you. but you would have to aske them quickly since you are just a month out.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Missy509. Show Missy509's posts

The bigger question to me here is why are the rooms cheape on orbitz? the whole point of the roomblock is to get your guests the hotel rooms at a discounted bulk rate...obviously they must not be discounting them...

my new suggestion is to try to cancel your whole room block deal. people are getting a much better deal booking without using the block anyhow

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I have a similar problem - so far only TWO people have booked rooms at the hotel where we are staying and set up a block.  The special price will be released tomorrow.  Oh well.  Hopefully other people are in fact staying there too, but they booked through hotels.com or something.

We don't have to pay for the rooms at either of the hotels where we set up blocks.  They just release them 4 weeks and 3 weeks before the wedding, respectively.  I had trouble setting up blocks on Memorial Day weekend though.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

[QUOTE]That's interesting, my hotel won't charge me if I don't fill all the rooms - they will just release them after a certain date and the discount won't apply  (I don't think) to my guests who reserve their room after the cutoff. My block is completely risk-free so I guess it depends on the hotel!
    Posted by amschnittger[/QUOTE]

We did the same thing.  The hotel blocked off X number of room and released them after Y date if they weren't reserved. All the rooms filled up.  We also had our wedding over a holiday weekend in a popular tourist area [that weekend was the start of the summer season too].  I have never heard of a hotel charging the bride and groom for unfilled rooms.  We didn't get anything 'free' w/ the room block, like a free wedding night room for the bride and groom.  Maybe the OP can tell the hotel they will waive getting a free room rather than pay for the unfilled rooms.  I don't see how a hotel is losing money by having unfilled rooms, if they can release them back to the general public. If the hotel is that popular, the rooms should fill up w/ no problem.  Sounds like the hotel is gouging the OP. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

I have never heard you have pay for unbooked block rooms. If that is the case - I would certainly try to get out of that deal. I would definitely talk to the hotel. I an hoping this is a misunderstanding on your part.
    If it is on Memorial Day weekend and it is a popular hotel, do you really think they will have x rooms you paid for empty? Not a chance - they are doubble dipping IMO.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from katie1980. Show katie1980's posts

Pingo no you're right; it's if we release the rooms and they can't sell them - then we have to pay.

BUT I am hoping that if we don't meet the block and they  can't re-sell the rooms that they will let us out of contract.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

[QUOTE]The bigger question to me here is why are the rooms cheape on orbitz? the whole point of the roomblock is to get your guests the hotel rooms at a discounted bulk rate...obviously they must not be discounting them... my new suggestion is to try to cancel your whole room block deal. people are getting a much better deal booking without using the block anyhow
    Posted by Missy509[/QUOTE]

I am in this situation as well. My rooms are at least $40 a night cheaper than the block rate.  Orbitz buys the rooms and then charges what they wish, the hotel "discounts" the rooms, I believe my rooms are $30 cheaper than the hotel's regular rate.   It is we have to deal with when there are competitors out there I guess! 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

So this made me do a little research and I'm really relieved to find out that Orbitz is still $30 MORE than my block rate. We're blocking rooms at the Sheraton FourPoints in Revere - they also have a free shuttle to our reception site (Oceanview in Nahant) if we book a total of 20 rooms which we will easily.

now if only people will start sending in the  RSVPs....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Katie1980 - I have definitely heard of other situations where the couple has to pay for unbooked rooms.  I wouldn't have gone for it, but I wanted to give you a little reassurance that I have heard of it before!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I don't have any advice for this poster as it's too late for this info for her, unfortunately, but unused rooms in a wedding block shouldn't have to be paid for.  Many places just release them for free after a certain date.  Ours even held them right up to the wedding for free and didn't charge us a cent if they went unused. Anyone in or near the Marlborough area, call Embassy Suites in Marlborough and ask for Nicole.  She was superb, and their policies were extremely customer service, not hotel-out-to-get-you, oriented.

Sections
Shortcuts