How much to give for gift?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

How much to give for gift?

Hi!

DH, myself and our infant daughter will be attending my cousin's wedding this weekend.  I am planning on giving the happy couple a check.  DH was asking this past weekend how much I was going to give, and I told him $150 or $200.  I also sent a shower gift to her valued at $50 but was unable to attend the shower.  So, DH thought I was being stingy (he might be right - I'm very cheap) and that I should give $300.  Which leads me to my question. - what is the going rate for a couple + baby at weddings these days?

TIA!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tgihal. Show tgihal's posts

Re: How much to give for gift?

hmm, im going to a wedding next month and figure $150 for husband daughter and i, thats basically what we can afford to do, now i feel like it is way too little, but i can not really justify spending more...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

There's no going rate. You give what you feel is right, based on your finances and relationship to the couple.  I think what you planned to give her sounds fine. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

In Response to Re: How much to give for gift?:
    There's no going rate. You give what you feel is right, based on your finances and relationship to the couple.  I think what you planned to give her sounds fine. 
    Posted by ALF72

THIS.  At our wedding, we got gifts from couples that ranged from $30 to $300 (or more).  It totally depends on what you can afford to give, how close you are to the couple and how much you want to give.  I think $150 to $200 is very generous (and actually on the high end). 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

In Response to Re: How much to give for gift?:
    In Response to Re: How much to give for gift? : THIS.  At our wedding, we got gifts from couples that ranged from $30 to $300 (or more).  It totally depends on what you can afford to give, how close you are to the couple and how much you want to give.  I think $150 to $200 is very generous (and actually on the high end). 
    Posted by trex509

Agree 100%
    It's the thought that counts, not the "going rate"

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

I agree with the others - no going rate.  I think your gifts sound very generous, and you should not feel in ANY way guilty about them!

For a very practical perspective on your question, for our wedding back in June 2009, DH and I got many monetary gifts from people.  Very few people gave us anything close to $300, and when they did I was awed in sort of that "I'm not worthy" way and almost wanted to call them and say, "You don't have to give us that much!!"

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Thanks all!  I guess "going rate" was kind of a bad way to put it.  I agree with Poppy that we also got a few $300 or so gifts at our wedding and almost thought it was too much to receive.  But DH was thinking that was back in 2007 so maybe times have changed.  And I just didn't want to seem cheap!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

The average (what we assume you meant by going rate) is difficult to find useful because the spread is so wide.  We got gifts from $50 - $1000.  So, the average is totally useless knowledge. 

However, I think your idea of $150 is generous, not stingy.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I agree that $150-200 is perfectly fine!  We received plenty of lesser amounts as wedding gifts and that was fine too. 
    I also don't think you need to account for your daughter's attendance unless they are feeding her.

Was it really in 2007 that you got married??  I have definitely been reading bdc for too long :o)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

For average:  my sister told me she thought the average at her wedding was about $50 per person (so $100 per couple).  From our recent wedding, I'd agree that was about the most common, but we did get a few really generous gifts above that and a few below that.  Like others said, a few people gave in the $200 to $300 range, and I felt a little weird about it too!  It was far too much!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonman1. Show bostonman1's posts

A minimun of $150 per person attending, and with that realize that all you are doing is covering your expenses for being  there. A gift of $500 would be more appropriate. As a divorce lawyer, I always include my card as well. Half the time I see the unhappy couple again in a few years. I think of it as advertising!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trouble30. Show Trouble30's posts

Thanks all - I'll probably split the difference and give $250.  It is family and all :)  I'm so excited to go to this wedding!  My daughter's first wedding!!

Fram - if you remember me posting about my wedding, and I did frequent these boards when I was wedding planning,  you have an excellent memory!!!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I sure do, Trouble :o)  I got engaged in 2006, so I've been around... too long!

Sections
Shortcuts