Invitation Faux Pas

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Invitation Faux Pas

I know this topic has been beat to death, but I am getting ready to address my invites and don't know which way to go.   I know that traditionally, you are supposed to hand address the invites in calligraphy.   I have formal invitations in that I have an inner and outer envelopes, tissue paper and all that. 
       With all the expenses, I have decided not to spend the hundreds of dollars on hiring a calligrapher.  My question is, which would look better:  Printed in a nice calligraphy font on a printer (high quality printer)  or someone hand writing them that may not be the "best" handwriting.  Printing would obviously be quickest and easiest and would look nice. But I know that handwriting envelopes are much more personable.   The two people I have in mind have nice handwriting (mine stinks) but neither are professional looking, and I'd have to bother them to fill out 200 envelopes in a short amount of time.   
    Thoughts?   

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Re: Invitation Faux Pas

I am biased because I had them printed (each one run through a printer).  I just did not have the time to handwrite 120 envelopes during my busiest season at work.  My other option was to ask my FMIL and I was trying to avoid her at all costs.

My envelopes were kind of a funky paper and the woman who made the invitations was worried that if I printed them myself, the ink wouldn't dry because my printer wasn't good enough.  Just something to think about.  I ended up paying her a small fee to do it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

You just won't get a consensus here, and that, in and of itself is your answer - It doesn't matter.

For the record, I thought it would look better all hand-addressed, and that's what I did.  I also (gasp) used blue ink for formal invitations.  No one seemed to notice, and I didn't know it was wrong until someone pointed it out here on one of the 1000s of threads on this very topic.  Anyway, I also used wax seals, and those were a big hit.  They took practice and were very time consuming, though.  I'd do it again, nonetheless.

P.S.  Disclaimer:  I only had 80 to do.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Missy509. Show Missy509's posts

The point of an invitation is to invite people to your special event. To get hung up on handwriting vs printing vs labels is just a bit much. If you truly believe that the way the ink gets on the envelope makes it more personable one way as opposed to another way, then the answer to it is, it doesnt matter if it is labels, printer ink, or handwritten, If YOU personally do the work, then it is personable. If you have anyone other than you or FI make the labels, print the envelopes, or handwrite them, it is not personable.

Keep in mind this is an envelope that people are going to look at for 2 seconds and rip up and throw away right after...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie18. Show pinkkittie18's posts

I think printing is your best bet if you want it to look really nice. I used labels because I wasn't comfortable asking anyone to write out the addresses for me, and there's no way I'd pay a calligrapher.

You can also buy calligraphy markers at most craft stores, if someone has decent handwriting and they use a calligraphy marker, it looks really nice.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Hey Missy, I am 100% writing this to be helpful, not to be a jerk.  I think you meant to write personal, not personable.  Personable means "having an agreeable or pleasing personality; affable; amiable; sociable."

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

To the OP,

Do you really have 200 envelopes to address?  Thought it was worth asking because that could affect your decision whether or not to write by hand.  We invited 200 people, but only had to send about 115 invitations/envelopes.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Missy509. Show Missy509's posts

[QUOTE]Hey Missy, I am 100% writing this to be helpful, not to be a jerk.  I think you meant to write personal, not personable.  Personable means "having an agreeable or pleasing personality; affable; amiable; sociable."
    Posted by framerican51008[/QUOTE]

Thanks. You are probably right. I just responded using the same working the OP chose :)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Missy509. Show Missy509's posts

Oh, another thing to the OP. Dont ask anyone to write out 200 envelopes for you. Chances are, they will feel bad and not know what to say so will respond with a yes, but, it will put a big burden on them...if someone offers to help you write them, and you want them handwritten, take them up on it, but, asking someone to write all your envelopes is a bit much...just saying..

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Oops!  I recalled seeing it somewhere else recently, but couldn't remember where...
    I have to disagree though.  I don't think it's so awful to ask someone to help you write them.  Just don't pick the busiest person you know lol.  I was going to ask my FMIL to do them with me because she has beautiful handwriting, but then I realized I need to avoid her at all costs.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from misslily. Show misslily's posts

I do think you've been given some slightly wrong advice.  Formal invitations are traditionally addressed by hand.  There is no requirement that they be in calligraphy.

My mother wrote our invitations - she has lovely printing - and used a black flair pen.

I always keep all wedding invitations so I went through them the last time this subject came up.  I'd say about 90% were hand written (in regular handwriting - most with a black ball point pen) and the rest looked like the bride had hired a calligrapher. I think a fancy font on the computer looks just as nice. The one thing I would avoid is labels.
    Good luck!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhirledPeasPlease. Show WhirledPeasPlease's posts

Whatever you decide to do will be fine, and few people will care.

That said, I only had 75 invitations to do, so I hand-wrote them in my six-year-old boy/unibomber handwriting. My wedding is also pretty informal and the envelopes are brown and red. Laughing

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Thanks all.  I have 100 invites and with the inner envelopes I have 200 to fill out.  My FMIL offered to do them, and I have someone else who would not mind either. So it is not like I am going to make anyone who does really not want to help out do it. Also, I would either pay the friend or make it clear that this is their gift to me and my FI and that no gift is necessary.
        I am still up in the air about it. It really depends on how quickly I can get all the addresses together, because I do not want to make anyone feel rushed to get the invites done!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cyclechic06. Show Cyclechic06's posts

People just throw away the envelopes, so if it's printed by a computer directly on the evenlope, or the handwriting isn't perfect, does anyone really care?  People might notice it, but no one is judging you for it.  And if they do judge you for it, they need to get a life! 

I say do whatever is easiest.  I'm having invitations printed on the evelope by a printer (no stickers, it's printed directly on the envelope), it's being done for a small fee ($1.50/envelope) at the invitation store.  It's worth the convenience for me, because we didn't want to pay for a calligrapher and I don't have time to print out or write out 150 invitations on my own.

Good luck!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenclown. Show greenclown's posts

We had calligraphy, but I needed to change an envelope after we got them back from the calligrapher (my aunt passed away).  I printed the new envelope on my printer with a very pretty script font, and the printer was on the best setting.  My mother saw the envelope and did not believe me that it was from the computer.  I think they can be nicely done, but I think regular handwriting is fine, too.  That one envelope took longer than it would have taken to just write it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from KANN29. Show KANN29's posts

I know you didn't want to pay anyone but I just thought I would let you know that I used a calligrapher who only charged $1 per outer envelope and $0.50 per inner.  I didn't want to pay someone but my handwritting isn't that good and the thought of running each envelope through a printer just seemed too time consuming and I wasn't going to use lables.  When I was looking at all the traditional places to get envelopes addressed is was too expensive so I happened to look on Craigslist and found someone.  I took a chance and it worked out really well.  If you are interested her email is kmd627@verizon.net her name is Kristie and she is located in Peabody.  She turned around my 130 envelopes in a few days.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

I wouldn't ask anyone (unless it is a very enthusiastic mother) to address 200 envelopes for you.

So either handwrite it yourself.

Or print them.

Or print them in a handwriting-like font in a very light grey, then trace the writing with a pen.  

Or use these ladies to address your envelopes in their gorgeous "fine penmanship" calligraphy.  It is 35 cents per outer envelope, 25 cents per inner envelope, and the work is all hand done.  They did my invitations and I got so many compliments on them!  Quick turnaround too.  Definitely money well spent for me.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

p.s. here is some inspiration for the tracing idea.  if you are patient, i think it can look really nice:

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

My son and DIL made their own STD's on the computer and printed them including the envelopes at home. They got a lot of praise for them.
    We computer printed our invites to our RD ourselves in a nice font. It was time consuming as each invite and envelope had to be hand fed - would have been much faster to handwrite the envelopes, but my son wanted them to look like the formal wedding invites. We got many compliments and several guests thought they were done by a calligrapher. It took time, but we would do it again.
    And btw. for the posters that say, that the envelopes doesn't matter as people rip them up and throw them away - not everyone does. I and many others save them with the invites.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

[QUOTE]My son and DIL made their own STD's on the computer and printed them including the envelopes at home. They got a lot of praise for them. We computer printed our invites to our RD ourselves in a nice font. It was time consuming as each invite and envelope had to be hand fed - would have been much faster to handwrite the envelopes, but my son wanted them to look like the formal wedding invites. We got many compliments and several guests thought they were done by a calligrapher. It took time, but we would do it again. And btw. for the posters that say, that the envelopes doesn't matter as people rip them up and throw them away - not everyone does. I and many others save them with the invites.
    Posted by pingo[/QUOTE]

Thanks Pingo! It makes me feel better knowing that printing can look nice too! Thanks for your comment about people saving the envelopes.  I know my mom keeps all her invitations in the inner envelope and always makes comments when the envelopes look nice. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from helphelpImbeingrepressed. Show helphelpImbeingrepressed's posts

The proper thing to do is hand address them.

You can do labels or use a printer without offending anyone, but it's not proper etiquette to do so.

I love to get an invite in someone's own handwriting. It stands out from all the other mail with its labels and mail merge printed addressed. It also says "you're worth my time and effort" while a label says that inviting me was an annoyance. Professional calligraphy says "I like to waste money."

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

[QUOTE]The proper thing to do is hand address them. You can do labels or use a printer without offending anyone, but it's not proper etiquette to do so. I love to get an invite in someone's own handwriting. It stands out from all the other mail with its labels and mail merge printed addressed. It also says "you're worth my time and effort" while a label says that inviting me was an annoyance. Professional calligraphy says "I like to waste money."
    Posted by helphelpImbeingrepressed[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry but that is an absolutely ridiculous thing to say, which I'm sure is exactly what you were going for.

An invitation says "I want you to be there" regardless of how the envelope is addressed.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I know this is one of your pet peeves, Helphelp, but I also think your statement is ridiculous.  The fact that a couple spends $5 to send you something pretty in the mail shows that you are important to them and they want you at their wedding - not to mention hunting down your address from a mother/FMIL/white pages and/or harrassing you via email to get it.  Who cares if they don't write the address by hand after all that?!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from helphelpImbeingrepressed. Show helphelpImbeingrepressed's posts

Apologists.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

[QUOTE]Apologists.
    Posted by helphelpImbeingrepressed[/QUOTE]

helphelpIaddnovaluetothisboardwhatsoever