Invite MOG to shower on bride's side?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RBlue7. Show RBlue7's posts

Invite MOG to shower on bride's side?

Hoping someone can provide some insight on this question. I am the bride's aunt and am hosting a shower for local relatives. The groom's side of the family lives about six hours away and they are having a separate shower. Is it OK to invite the MOG only (who also lives six hours away) to the shower I am hosting? Thank you!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Re: Invite MOG to shower on bride's side?

In Response to Invite MOG to shower on bride's side?:
    [QUOTE]Hoping someone can provide some insight on this question. I am the bride's aunt and am hosting a shower for local relatives. The groom's side of the family lives about six hours away and they are having a separate shower. Is it OK to invite the MOG only (who also lives six hours away) to the shower I am hosting? Thank you!
    Posted by RBlue7[/QUOTE]

I think that is a very nice gesture to invite the MOG. I think that even if she doesn't come because it is so far, it would be smart to invite her.  At my friend's shower recently thrown by her MIL, her mother flew in for the event.  It was nice to have the mom and MIL there.  The MIL did not go to the shower thrown by the MOB however because of the distance.   So I think it would be a nice touch, not necessary when 2 showers are being thrown, but nice none the less.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

RBlue,
    My DIL is from the Midwest, we are on the East Coast. 2 showers were given for her in her hometown. One by an aunt, one by her old girlfriends. I was invited to them both, but did not attend due to the distance. I did not expect an invitation, but thought it was a very nice tough.
    Two of her BMs up here had another shower for her for local friends and family. Both her mother and her sister were invited. Her mother did not attend, but her sister (also MOH) flew up here to surprise her.
    A shower is supposed to be an informal affair, and one can invite anyone one wants to invite (as long as they also will be invited to the wedding). There is no etiquette rule, that you must invite MOG. If you do, she may not attend, but she will be flattered, you thought of her.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from poppy609. Show poppy609's posts

I also think it's a nice gesture.  In fact, if there are any grandmothers or sisters, I think it's nice if they also are invited.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

When in doubt, invite people.  You really can't go wrong.  An invitation is not a demand to attend; if it's too far for them to drive, they'll decline with regrets of their own accord.  But, at least they had the opportunity to decline.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

Yes, or even pick up the phone to call her about the invitation.  Rather than having it show up in the mail unexpectedly.  So she'll know she is warmly welcomed but no pressure if she doesn't want to attend.  And/or to make sure she knows she can bring a friend to share the long drive, etc. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ash. Show ash's posts

The mother of the groom should be invited to all showers.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RBlue7. Show RBlue7's posts

My apologies for not responding sooner. Thank you everyone for your thoughts. I like the idea of having her invite a friend along. I've emailed her to give her a heads up about the date.