Invite priest to reception?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from wedoct09. Show wedoct09's posts

Invite priest to reception?

Hi, I think I have seen a post on this topic here though I couldn't find it.  I am getting ready to send my invitations and I am not sure if I am supposed to invite the priest to the reception?  Do I send him the full invitation or just the reception/response cards? 

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

Re: Invite priest to reception?

I've always felt that if you have a significant relationship, whether from childhood or recent, you should.  But if you attend services elsewhere, and the priest is marrying because of the church location, or other reason to use an unfamiliar priest,  then no.

Many people say always invite the clergy, but I have never thought that necessary or appropriate when he/she knows no one at the wedding.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverFestiva. Show SilverFestiva's posts

We sent him an invitation as a courtesy, but never expected him to respond; he didn't. I don't think there is a set rule, I think the relationship factor is good to go by.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wendy98. Show wendy98's posts

When we met with the priest he specifically said not to send him an invite.  I thought that was a bit weird but I went with it.  If I remember the details correctly he had a reason something along the lines of that is just our parish policy because the are doing so many things with weddings funerals etc.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I agree with whatawag, invite a priest that is essentially part of your family, but if he's a rent-a-priest you have no connection to there's no need.

However, that being said, why not?  If he doesn't know anyone he'll probably decline and you've only spent $3 on an invitation.  Most officiants know it's a courtesy if there's no long standing relationship between him and your family, truth be told.

Use your best judgment; you really can't go wrong either way.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

We invited our rabbi, since we knew him pretty well.  He and his wife came and just stayed through the cocktail hour.  That seemed to be his usual system.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

we invited our reverend. He was not someone i have known very long (did not go to his church or anything), but lives in my parent's neighborhood so he knew a few people. We invited him and his wife and sent them a regular invite, we wanted to know what they would want to eat!  They stayed through dinner and left right after.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Diana6628. Show Diana6628's posts

I have lived all around the country, and from my experiences, you alway invite the pastor/priest.  Most weddings I have been to they are actually there and having a fun time meeting the families and friends.
    Our Pastor is coming to the rehersal dinner, ceremony(of course), and the reception.  She is actually doing the blessing at the reception.

Looking forward to it!  A week from Saturday...YIKES...things to do.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goodness1. Show Goodness1's posts

We're inviting our priest.  I've known him since I was about 7 or 8 years old.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jessica9379. Show Jessica9379's posts

I attended my first wedding where the priest actually attended the reception a few weeks ago.   If I had to guess - I would say that he was about 24 years old. 
    He was the youngest person at his table by AT LEAST 50 years. 
    Haha, I kinda felt bad for him. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostonslp. Show bostonslp's posts

I'm glad you posted this.  I was wondering the same thing about a JP!
    Should I invite him to rehearsal dinner?

thoughts?