Invite to Reception Only?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

Re: Invite to Reception Only?

Hmm Friar, then my guests are going to hate me because we aren't serving dinner until 7:30 :/

But we are having 8 different apps being passed around. 4 hot, 4 cold.

Than again we are having a full premium open bar, so hopefully that will keep people happy :)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Elmgirl82. Show Elmgirl82's posts

In Response to Re: Invite to Reception Only?:
    [QUOTE]Hmm Friar, then my guests are going to hate me because we aren't serving dinner until 7:30 :/ But we are having 8 different apps being passed around. 4 hot, 4 cold. Than again we are having a full premium open bar, so hopefully that will keep people happy :)
    Posted by lizinboston[/QUOTE]

That would keep me happy! I once went to a wedding at Notre Dame in Indiana and the ceremony was at 9AM and the reception was at 6AM. Apparently the catholic church on campus is so popular you have to enter a lottery to get your ceremony time. So from 10AM-6PM we hung out at the hotel pool, bar, etc.
    I wonder what time the bride woke up to get her hair done?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from FriarGirl03. Show FriarGirl03's posts

[QUOTE]Hmm Friar, then my guests are going to hate me because we aren't serving dinner until 7:30 :/ But we are having 8 different apps being passed around. 4 hot, 4 cold. Than again we are having a full premium open bar, so hopefully that will keep people happy :)

Don't worry, I would never grumble to the bride! Well, all bets are off after a few martinis! Unless there's spanakopita. I'd just make friends with that waiter!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

[QUOTE]Funny, I was also in a wedding recently with the ceremony at 2 PM, full mass and then reception, dinner and dancing.  We had an absolute blast!  We stayed till the very end, and were happy and tired... I got to the car thinking it was like 11 PM and to my shock, it was only 8 PM!!! Posted by trex509[/QUOTE]

that's how my wedding was. 2pm services and the reception started at 3. I lucked out with a venue that let us choose any 5 hours we wanted. We payed a little extra to have people be allowed to go in at 2:30, which ended up being smart because the ceremony started just about on time and went for 30mins.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Is there some reason you have to have your reception at night? You can have a fancy reception at any time of the day.  I had a noon mass and then had a reception w/ a band, full bar and happy dancing people starting at 1.30 and ending at 6.30.  People who wanted to party later did so in local hotel bars.  DH and I went to a local restaurant across from the hotel for dinner and then went back to our room.  People told us the next day what a blast they had. Older relatives loved it b/c they were able to stay for the bulk of the reception and then drive themselves home b/c it was still light enough for them to see.  {wedding was in late May}.  Unless there is some reason you have to have an evening reception [ie, the venue you have selected is only open for a night reception], then think about having a later afternoon reception.  Good luck.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from CT-DC. Show CT-DC's posts

I really, really, really, wanted candles on tables for our reception.  I am a HUGE candle freak, and to me nothing says dressy party like votives with lit candles flickering everywhere.  and then we decided on an 11am wedding ceremony so that the reception would be in the afternoon because we had a zillion children invited and knew that would be a better time than an evening reception.

Sigh.  But my candle-lit loveliness!

So.  I told the wedding coordinator that I MUST have votives lit on the tables.  In May.  at a reception from 12-5pm.  Seriously.  She did a GREAT job keeping her face calm and not saying "are you KIDDING me?!"  So she dimmed the lights a teeny bit and I bought votive holders that were light blue frosted glass and we had those darned votives lit on cream tablecloths and it looked beautiful!

So, yes, you can have a romantic reception with candles in the afternoon!  You could do it even better if you did it after the time change and seasons change, from October on. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

The aps and liquor will save your relationships, Liz! LOL  I'd so hate you if I had to wait 'til 7:45 - 8:00 (realistically) to eat anything.  Why does dinner have to be so late?  People will fill up on appetizers long before then, and then dinner is essentially a waste IMO.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

my goodness you all eat early!  I would be thrilled to eat at 7:30, but we're rarely both home from work by then!  I'd say 7:30 dinner happens once every two weeks if we're lucky. 

Growing up 7:30 was our family dinner time.  My mom would get home from work around 6:30, so I don't see how it could have gotten on the table much faster than that.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

CT, I had candles during the day too. I didn't know they were included w/ the reception venue.  I had about 3-4 votives on each table around the floral arrangements, candles on the gift table and table for the placecards, and then they had pillar candles of varying heights on stands in the 2 fireplaces.  I think there were candles behind the bar as well.  The pictures look great!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lizinboston. Show lizinboston's posts

My Aunt got married at 10AM and had a 11-4 reception. But she had a brunch buffet. You know, the type with the make-your-own waffle station. And I loved it, because I LOVE brunch food more than anything.

I really wanted any evening wedding, though. I, personally would be a mess having to wake up early to get ready.

Jasmine, my FI and I don't eat dinner till AT LEAST 7:30-8pm every night. That is why I don't usually eat my lunch until around 2:30ish.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Missy509. Show Missy509's posts

I haven't read anyone's responses, but, I would say do not invite anyone to the reception that is not invited to the wedding. Either find another church that can hold a later mass, or just have a huge gap. But inviting people to the reception only says in my opinion 'hey i dont care to have you there with me when i get married, but, please come to the party and bring a gift!' i would decline a reception only invite.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

That sounds awesome! I also love brunch food. Yum!

[QUOTE]My Aunt got married at 10AM and had a 11-4 reception. But she had a brunch buffet. You know, the type with the make-your-own waffle station. And I loved it, because I LOVE brunch food more than anything. Posted by lizinboston[/QUOTE]

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

We're another late eating couple!  We get home around 7 PM, so dinner is usually around 8:30/9 PM.  Seriously that must be so bad for us... lately we've been even busier and have been eating at like 9:30/10 PM.  By then I'm starving and cranky.  We've also been goign to bed WAY too late...  like 12:30 AM.  This is a bad habit that I blame on FI, who has always been a night owl.  I need to reset our clocks...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NorthernLghts. Show NorthernLghts's posts

you aren't alone trex, i get home about the same time you do. Unless dinner that night is something i can throw in a caserole dish and bake for 30 mins or more, i don't start dinner til 7:30-8 so we aren't eating until 8:30-9.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

this why DH and I love the crock pot. Dinner is already cooked and ready to eat when we get home around 6.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

DH works an hour from home so I can do most dinners in that time.  But, even so, the crock pot rocks.  Sometimes I'm not home and don't want to be home in time to cook dinner.  And, other times I just don't feel like it, and as a housewife I don't have much of a leg to stand on with the let's order out idea, right?  So, a nice hot stew does the trick with essentially no work, and we're just as happy.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

I'm a terrible wife then. Once I start a new job, I plan on doing what I did for weeknight dinners when I was single -taking food w/ me and eating at work, then hitting the gym before I come home.  I generally ate around 7 in the office, which let me catch up on emails and phone calls once the staff left at 5.  I'd have dinner at my desk while I tied up loose ends and signed stuff, then headed out around 7.30.  The thought of waiting to eat dinner till 8 or 9 when I get home makes me lightheaded......

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

Crock pot is a good idea, but it wouldn't help us.  I try to ensure that dinner is ready the second my husband walks in the door.  Not because I dig feeling like a housewife, but because he comes home after 8 pm most nights and he has to be back at work before 6 AM.  (No offense to any housewives--it's just not the way I've organized my life at the moment--I'm working really hard to establish myself in a relatively competitive, predominantly male profession.)  But anyway, if my husband's going to sleep at all, we have to eat right away.  He's lucky that I actually enjoy cooking.  :P

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

This is too funny. This thread was about if it would be ok to invite some guests to the reception only, and it ended up in a crockpot.
    But I agree with the crockpot fans. When one works it is a God-send. Mine is working almost every week day.
    We also eat late, as hubby is never home until 8 - 8:30. I am home earlier, and I usually prepare for my crockpot for the following day, while waiting for him. Then stick it in the ref. and start the pot in the morning. Mornings I am too sleepy and too busy to do prep work, and I know I will not do it. I also try make sure, I make enough for two days - so I have easy warm up the day after.
    I hope shoppinggirl will get one for her shower/wedding.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

[QUOTE]We're another late eating couple!  We get home around 7 PM, so dinner is usually around 8:30/9 PM.  Seriously that must be so bad for us... lately we've been even busier and have been eating at like 9:30/10 PM.  By then I'm starving and cranky.  We've also been goign to bed WAY too late...  like 12:30 AM.  This is a bad habit that I blame on FI, who has always been a night owl.  I need to reset our clocks...
    Posted by trex509[/QUOTE]

I hear ya trex!  I'm sure eating late isn't as bad when you're staying up later anyway.  The whole not eating after 7:00 pm (or is it 8:00?) seems irrelevant to me if you're up until 12:30 burning the calories!  IF I work out, it's around 9:00 pm anyway.
    I don't get home until 7:15 or later.  DH is currently laid off so I've been hinting that it would be nice if dinner was at least in the works when I got home... So far no luck!  I guess I will have to come out and say it sheesh :o)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Jasmine, crock potting would absolutely help you. The food would be ready anytime you would want to eat, and you would not have to rush home to cook dinner. Dinner would be waiting for you.

[QUOTE]Crock pot is a good idea, but it wouldn't help us.  I try to ensure that dinner is ready the second my husband walks in the door.  Not because I dig feeling like a housewife, but because he comes home after 8 pm most nights and he has to be back at work before 6 AM.  (No offense to any housewives--it's just not the way I've organized my life at the moment--I'm working really hard to establish myself in a relatively competitive, predominantly male profession.)  But anyway, if my husband's going to sleep at all, we have to eat right away.  He's lucky that I actually enjoy cooking.  :P
    Posted by jasmine09[/QUOTE]

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from wendy98. Show wendy98's posts

I am such and old fogey, I would be in hog heaven if I could have dinner at 5:30 every night.  But I have managed to wait until 6 or 6:30 for the most part, any later than that I would eat my own leg, and have attempted that before.   I get home from work about 4:30 and my DH well he gets home when he gets home anywhere from 5:30-6:30 so yeah dinner is usually ready to hit the table as soon as he walks in the door.  I just cannot fathom eating dinner after 7 without going into convulsions :)

I did that the other day for a bachelorette party, dinner was at 7:30 and I needed a granola bar to keep me civil.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]Crock pot is a good idea, but it wouldn't help us.  I try to ensure that dinner is ready the second my husband walks in the door.  Not because I dig feeling like a housewife, but because he comes home after 8 pm most nights and he has to be back at work before 6 AM.  (No offense to any housewives--it's just not the way I've organized my life at the moment--I'm working really hard to establish myself in a relatively competitive, predominantly male profession.)  But anyway, if my husband's going to sleep at all, we have to eat right away.  He's lucky that I actually enjoy cooking.  :P
    Posted by jasmine09[/QUOTE]

I don't take any offense - I was an engineer 12 years.  Been there, done that. :)

Why do you think a crock pot wouldn't be the most awesome thing ever in your situation?  Throw stuff in the pot in the morning, turn it on low.  Whenever he gets home, dinner would be hot and delicious right that minute. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ihavemyhats. Show Ihavemyhats's posts

I also had a wedding at 11 and brunch from 12 -3 - turkey, ham, eggs to order, pecan rolls, corn bread, open bar, etc, etc,

And then another party that night and next morning at home.  Great occasion, cheap, fun.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

All I meant is that crockpot cooking wouldn't help us eat dinner any earlier (unlike for pinkkittie, for example).  It may make cooking easier some nights.  I will keep the suggestion in mind--don't have a crockpot at the moment. 

Cooking is therapeutic for me.  Love the chopping and the smell of frying onions.  But there are definitely some nights when I wish it were hot and waiting for me.  Crockpot is not a bad idea.  :)