Kids Meal Options on Invite?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bianca01. Show bianca01's posts

Kids Meal Options on Invite?

Hi everyone,
    I have several young cousins (under the age of 8) attending my wedding. I have worked with my vendor to arrange some kids meal options. How do I relay these options to these family members? I am assuming these should not go on the menu reply cards sent with the invites.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Re: Kids Meal Options on Invite?

You could just put a line on the reply card that says "Kids meals will be provided for those under the age of 8," then leave spaces for # of adults and # of kids.

The problem you run into is that, if you don't say anything, you will have people ordering lobster for their kids, who won't eat it, because they see that the other kids got chicken fingers.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

Hand write or computer print on the meal choice section of the RSVP,  kids meal - chicken fingers    only for families where it is relevant.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALF72. Show ALF72's posts

Why wouldn't you put this on the RSVP menu section?  If you are providing a meal choice, put a space for "kids meal" w/ a space to check or insert a number.  Parents will know what to do.

We gave kids over 5 a choice of going to the buffet or having chicken fingers.  I just gave the coordinator a head count of how many kids meals and what tables and they brought the food out to the tables.  They only cost $7 or so per kid, so if the kids wanted to try the adult food, it wasn't going to break the bank.  DH may have asked his cousins [who had kids over the age of 5] whether they wanted the kids meal or the buffet; I can't really remember.

If cost is an issue and you only want to feed them chicken fingers, and you don't have a slew of calls to make, just call or email the parents w/ kids and tell them that a kids meal is being provided and they just need to provide a head count on their RSVP. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasmine09. Show jasmine09's posts

We ran out of space on our RSVP card for this, so we contacted the families individually to let them know what to expect.  There were only like 3-4 families; it wasn't a big deal. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Scorpio75. Show Scorpio75's posts

For the kids that were not family memebers, we just included a post it note that said we would be providing a kids meal. Not terribly formal but it worked for us.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I didn't have room for it, either.  We called the people with young children and let them know the option was there and they could either order adult meals or write in how many kids' meals they wanted on the card.

P.S.  If I'd thought of Waggie's suggestion of writing it in myself on just their RSVP cards that's what I would have done.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Depending on what your main course is, I wouldn't present the kid's meal as an option.  There are some parents who will order an expensive meal for a child, just because, to them, it's free.  It's easier to just tell them "your child is getting a kid's meal."

But, if there are only a few kids, or the money isn't a big deal, then I guess it doesn't matter.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

I would slip a note of some sort into the necessary invitations.

It didn't occur to me to put it on our rsvp, but there wouldn't have been room anyway.  I planned to email the parents who needed to know right after sending the invitations, but I waited a bit too long.
    We ended serving filet mignon to a few kids... knowing full well that they eat like birds and would barely touch it!!  But it was only 2 or 3 so I decided to s*ck it up rather than email DH's aunt to say they were getting chicken fingers.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

In Response to Re: Kids Meal Options on Invite?:
    Depending on what your main course is, I wouldn't present the kid's meal as an option.  There are some parents who will order an expensive meal for a child, just because, to them, it's free.  It's easier to just tell them "your child is getting a kid's meal." But, if there are only a few kids, or the money isn't a big deal, then I guess it doesn't matter.
    Posted by lucy7368

Agree with this.  For us, the difference between the kids meal and adult meal is $60, so we're ordering kids meals for all the kids.  If they want to try the adult food from the buffet off their parent's plates, that is fine, but I won't pay for a full adult meal knowing they won't eat it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Our kids meal was only $16, so i really wanted the people with kids to order that.  I added a line for the kids meal by hand with a same color pen for these invites, it was just a few and said ______ children's option.   I think i also emailed/called and let them know it was chicken fingers.   Everyone with kids ordered the kids meal. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

In Response to Re: Kids Meal Options on Invite? : Agree with this.  For us, the difference between the kids meal and adult meal is $60, so we're ordering kids meals for all the kids.  If they want to try the adult food from the buffet off their parent's plates, that is fine, but I won't pay for a full adult meal knowing they won't eat it.
    Posted by trex509

You're doing an Indian meal, right?  With non-Indian children? You're right - adult meals for the kids would be a complete waste of money. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

If someone put "chicken fingers" on the meal options, I'd be tempted to ask for it.
    Embarassed

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

If someone put "chicken fingers" on the meal options, I'd be tempted to ask for it.
    Posted by pinkkittie27

Me, too, actually, depending on what the other meals are.  I'm really weird about what I eat.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

same here. I've asked for the mac'n'cheese off the kids' menu at a restaurant once because I was wary of the regular entrees.

In Response to Re: Kids Meal Options on Invite? : Me, too, actually, depending on what the other meals are.  I'm really weird about what I eat.
    Posted by lucy7368

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from FriarGirl03. Show FriarGirl03's posts

LOL, me too Pink! I seriously considered getting it myself for my wedding. I *am* the bride, after all Laughing

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

FYI the kids' mac n cheese at the Outback is fabulous :o)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

fram- LOL I'll have to keep that in mind!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

I would not put a kid's option on the invitation in print. That may give the invitees an idea, that everyone can bring their children. Good grief!
    Someone suggested a stick-on note for just the families it pertain to. Great idea. A handwritten note will do just as well.
    We had only two kids at "our" wedding. I called my niece to ask her, which one of 3 options her children would like. Pizza, Chicken Tenders or Mac'n Cheese. One wanted pizza, the other one Chicken Tenders. Both meals included salad and dessert. Not a big deal. We were never charged for the kids' plates. I asked, but was told they were "on the house".

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from LindaO1MrsO1. Show LindaO1MrsO1's posts

aWe were at a wedding of very " good friends" who had very young grandchildren. The good friends hired a young teenager (e.g. 13/14 yrs old), from the family  of other friends, to babysit the young grandchilren in one of the suites.  The MOB had the venue deliver what she beleived were appropriate meals for the sitter and the young grandchildren.  The sitter called her parents at the reception and said: "I don't want a hamburger.  I want the same entree that is being served at the reception ."  The entree was a surf and turf. The MOB reluctantly agreed to let the sitter have the reception entree.  Then, we had to sit at the table while the sitter's mother complained about this oversight/insult.  At the first daughters wedding, the same couple convinced the bartender that the parents of the Bride, intended to continue the open bar to include many pricey after dinner drinks - e.g. White Russians, etc.  And, this couple proceeded to tell anyone they knew to have similar libations. When the bride's parents went to pay the bill, they were very, very shocked.  The MOB asked me if I had seen anyone order these.  I was honest and identified the couple.  The family had four other children.  I just told the MOB, I would gladly sit in Siberia than sit with this couple.  What Chutzpah!!!  Never ceases to amaze me - some persons just take advantage of whatever they can whenever they can.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

In Response to Re: Kids Meal Options on Invite? : You're doing an Indian meal, right?  With non-Indian children? You're right - adult meals for the kids would be a complete waste of money. 
    Posted by lucy7368

Yes, we're doing an Indian buffet.  The children are actually my nieces and nephews, so they eat Indian food, but I know most all would probably prefer the chicken fingers.  :)  The only one I'm not sure about is a really young cousin (3 yrs) but she is vegetarian, so I need to ask the venue if they provide a vegetarian kids meal.  I'm sure this will be a pain.  But seriously, do I have to pay the full adult price to feed a 3 year old?  I hope not!!  Besides, I know there will be enough food on the buffet that she can eat if necessary, without adding her to the head count.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pingo. Show pingo's posts

Trex,
    maybe you can get away with this, by not ordering a veggie kids plate. The child could eat off one of her parents plates. I have seen this happening at other weddings, where there was indeed a plate for the child, but she/he didn't eat anything from it, - just what her mother fed them from her own plate. A plate serving going completely to waste.
    In the "grand scheme of things" a kiddie plate may not throw off your budget, but I just hate to see all that food go to waste.
    I know, you are Indian - so a childless wedding is just not possible. :(

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Can you just ask for a kid's meal centered around Mac 'n Cheese or grilled cheese sandwiches?  That way, you could serve it to all the kids.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

That's quite a story LindaO!  Some people!
    At my cousin's wedding, the coordinator or bartender for some strange reason asked her brother if the bar should remain open.  He said yes.  Why on earth would they think that the brother of the bride was entitled to make such a decision??

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from trex509. Show trex509's posts

Hi Pingo:  Yeah, that is what I would love to do!  But I'm not sure the venue will let me.  The kids need to have a seat at the table, but then I think they will want to charge me for something just to have that seat.  We'll see, I still need to talk to the venue.  I just think they shouldn't charge for kids under age 5 when you do a buffet since they barely eat anything.  But I doubt they will agree with me!!

Thanks, Lucy!  They told me the kids meal would be chicken fingers, but I'm sure they can do mac and cheese or pizza instead, I'll have to ask.  Good ideas!