Late Response!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Late Response!

So, after reading all your response horror stories about people showing up when not invited,  not showing up when they said they would etc, I thought wow, we have had no problems at all!    We called a few late responders and were able to quickly give the numbers to the venue.  We just did seating charts and changed the number of centerpieces from the florist (thought we needed more).  One of FI's friends who used to be very close, but have drifted, never responded.  FI called, emailed to see if he was coming or not.  He was invited alone to the wedding.  He just emailed saying woah, buddy I forgot to send my response, just noticed it was due June 1st.  He said is it ok if me and my girl friend come?     Now we don't know what to do.  The tables are all set...and he not only responded almost a month late, he asked to bring his gf when he was not invited with a date.    This used to be a good friend of FI, they just have lost touch since he lives in NYC.   What should we do!? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from framerican51008. Show framerican51008's posts

Re: Late Response!

Could you easily fit them into a table somehow?  Even if it isn't where you would have ideally sat him.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

Tables are packed, we'd have to have another table and re-do our entire seating plan.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sept2010Bride. Show Sept2010Bride's posts

That's a pain. I would tell him he can not bring his girlfriend. It was his fault that he didn't send in the response on time.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucy7368. Show lucy7368's posts

Question:  When did you FI call/email him to see if he was coming?  Because, if he emailed June 1, and you just got the reply June 30 - that's incredibly rude.

I guess it really comes down to how much your FI wants to continue being his friend.  If he doesn't care, tell him he replied too late and can't come.  Either way, I' would tell him he can't bring his girlfriend.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

FI tried to contact him before June 1st, to remind him and then after to find out what the deal was.  I think we will invite him w/o gf.  If he doesn't want to come without her, then oh well...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkb6248. Show dkb6248's posts

When is your wedding?  Must be very soon.  I would say no, and did say no about a month ago when I had this problem.  DH told our guest who asked that we already had our numbers into our caterer and venue, and that due to financial reasons we could not invite everyone with a date.  She still came and there were no hard feelings.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from heatherv1211. Show heatherv1211's posts

This is always so tricky!  I have a different response now than I would have before my wedding... The week of the wedding, we had a couple of people contact us to say they weren't going to be able to come.  They were all valid, unfortunate reasons.  I had already given my final count, so whether these folks came or not, I was paying for them, and had already seated them.  So then came the question: who can I call last-minute to come to our wedding that I didn't invite in the first place???  very tricky... DH happened to have a friend who never responded officially but told DH at the bachelor party that he just wasn't sure if he and his wife could come due to wife's chronic illness.  He hated saying no, but knew if he said yes and couldn't end up coming that it woudl stink for us.  So DH called him and said there was this cancellation if he and wife (or just he) wanted to come.  So they ended up coming - it worked out well!  Also I ended up calling a good friend's mom, who I've known forever, and doing the same thing because we had a few more cancellations literally the day before the wedding!

Long story short - is there a way you might be able to wait and tell this guy, listen, it's too late but if we have a cancellation we'll call you?  I realize that it may sound terribly rude... and maybe not possible if he's coming from NYC, but just an idea.  Not something I would have EVER thought of doing before we were desperate to fill a bunch of empty slots.  And the folks who were invited last-minute to fill those slots were thrilled to come!  (you do have to be careful, obviously, to only ask those who you think won't be offended...)  As it was, the day of the wedding we had about 4-5 surprise no-shows.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajuly09. Show ajuly09's posts

THe wedding is in 10 days.  I think we are going to say you can come w/o a date.  But he needs to tell us NOW which who knows if we will hear back from him. Our numbers are due!