Made my first stand

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rapunzel41. Show Rapunzel41's posts

Made my first stand

My parents are generously contributing to our wedding fund, though we don't know yet how much.  They're coming up next month to sit down with out and talk about numbers and options and such.  My mom has already made it clear to my dad that whatever number they decide on is a gift and there will be no strings, so that's a good thing.

That being said, I was talking to my mom this morning about a couple of venues with availability, and one of the packages includes an open bar cocktail hour.  I said we'd just have to add on bar costs for the remainder of the reception.  She said, "Oh, no, one hour of open bar is plenty!"  I took a deep breath and said, "Mom, I feel very strongly about this.  I wouldn't invite people to a party at my home and charge them for drinks; why should my wedding be any different than a party at my home?"  She paused and said, "I never thought about it like that..."

I was relieved it didn't become a bigger issue!  LOL!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinkkittie27. Show pinkkittie27's posts

Re: Made my first stand

Good for you! It's good to have post on here about family AGREEING for a change :)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from whatawagSBNy. Show whatawagSBNy's posts

The journey begins with the first step.

Good for you,  calmly stating both it's importance to you,  and doing so in a way that made sense to her.  She is probably sensitive to the idea,  how does it reflect on the hostess?   Where all the arguing in the world over - well my friends and his family want to drink  all night free -  would just get criticism of your friends,  or his family or whoever. 

Job well done.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Good job!!  Open, respectful, honesty is sorely lacking in even our familial relationships for some reason.  I know it's uncomfortable, but the payoff for all involved is so high I'm confounded as to why it's so rare.  Kudos for you for making your feelings known right away (not letting the thought fester and turn into a huge problem) AND to your mom who was open to changing her own feelings about it when she was presented with your perspective.

Do we have a functional, reasonable family here???  ;)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from princess-cal. Show princess-cal's posts

Good for you -I hope all of your planning is so "pain free!"  :0)

Sections
Shortcuts